David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/16/21 9:41 a.m.

[Editor's Note: This article was written before the 2021 Longest Day of Nelson Ledges was canceled.]

Brian Ross, a lifelong motorsports fan from a racing family, grew up 20 minutes away from Nelson Ledges Road Course, once a stop on the Trans-Am circuit—back when the series featured fact…

Read the rest of the story

benjschneider
benjschneider New Reader
6/16/21 11:00 a.m.

I was drafted to work the infield gates there in 1966 by Less Walters.  Lake Erie would tell me and a friend when to open and close them for traffic.  At another event, I got drafted into Lake Erie by Bill Brenen.  I later got my Lake Erie License in 1967 when working Mid-Ohio.   Then in 1970, Less drafted me and my girlfriend (later my wife) to be timers.  That was the last race she wanted to attend!

I remember waking to the sounds of bagpipes there.  Doc Wylie who raced an Bobsy piped us all awake when he raced there.  I remember pushing his Bobsy to a safe position after it lost oil pressure near my turn.  I could hardly understand his Scottish.

That track had some fine racing in the late sixties, and seventies.  Bob Sharp, Bob Tullius were two of my favorites.  The SCCA Nationals were very competitive there.  I remember sleeping under a Healey 3000 that was on jack stands one night.  It was raining, and I didn't have a tent.  The Healey belonged to Alec Fortuna, and Howard Walters.  During another evening, I helped a driver remove the engine from his Sprite and replace the rear seal; we used that big oak tree at the end of pit road to attach the come-a-long.

I found my racing puberty ant Nelson-Ledges.  It started a journey that lasted most of my life.  I no longer flag for Lake Erie; it got too political, and me too old.  I did enjoy the bonfires with them though, and appreciate the volunteers who do that work.…

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
6/16/21 2:54 p.m.

I'm a big fan of the image at the top where the Mercury Capri is keeping up with a Porsche, at least for a while.

sir_mike
sir_mike New Reader
6/16/21 3:43 p.m.

Was there in 1974 with a friend for his drivers school.What a place it was back then.

Our Preferred Partners
yWXvtzJj7v6SsjdCRNvU4Y27yE6fRv2xk6LADhpULLGVZUA0IJVno2HmXKf4vHhC