1 2 3 4 5
irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
12/13/18 10:43 p.m.
Cousin_Eddie said:

I used to be a fan of Blaupunkt when I was a teenager. They came in European cars so therefore they were exotic in my mind. 

Now I am somewhat sad to see that once proud brand name on an 8.50 radio.

I wish they'd have called it something else so my childhood idol would have been spared.

I bought a few Blaupunkts back in the 90s for my cars when they were cool euro stuff. I recall that i always thoguth they had crappy sound compared to Pioneer or Alpine, and goofy controls. 

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
12/14/18 6:23 a.m.
irish44j said:

I bought a few Blaupunkts back in the 90s for my cars when they were cool euro stuff. I recall that i always thoguth they had crappy sound compared to Pioneer or Alpine, and goofy controls. 

So, sort of like German cars, then?

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/14/18 5:43 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:
irish44j said:

So, sort of like German cars, then?

BINGO!

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/19/18 2:24 p.m.

Update: It is really not bad, the only major drawback is no clock so far. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
12/19/18 3:38 p.m.

I put mine in today. It's as good at the one I took out, but it says hello to my phone and starts my podcast where I left off automatically. It's a winner. 

scottdownsouth
scottdownsouth Reader
12/26/18 11:44 a.m.

So has anyone have any advice on a cheap double din that sounds good and can use as a screen for a back up camera ? My 01 suburban needs one bad.

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/29/19 11:26 a.m.

Update: works well in the cold, really really liking this unit. 

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/4/19 6:54 p.m.
scottdownsouth said:

So has anyone have any advice on a cheap double din that sounds good and can use as a screen for a back up camera ? My 01 suburban needs one bad.

I'll second this question. Though mine is a 2k silverado.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/4/19 7:07 p.m.

Another update. Mine stopped working. Fuses good. Pulled apart the dash and tested for power. Had power. There is a little reset hole in the front. Hit that. Nothing. Turned everything off and back on and hit the power button one last time and it turned on. I have no idea what I did to fix it. Frustrating, but I have tunes again, so it's good. 

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
2/4/19 7:21 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

I had a similar issue at one point with a Kenwood unit.  Just went totally dead one day, so I started diagnosing.  During the process I left it unplugged for about 15 minutes, worked perfectly fine after I plugged it back in. 

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
2/4/19 8:38 p.m.

I've had that happen with other radios as well. Not to say it isn't a problem, but it's not a problem that more expensive radios are totally immune to. 

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/16/19 2:52 p.m.

This is back. Just ordered two on “rollback” from $16.34 now $9.99 again. 

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
3/16/19 3:00 p.m.

In reply to glueguy :

Can’t wait for my next vehicle so I can install mine!

b13990
b13990 Reader
3/23/19 8:50 p.m.

Reminds me of the "Nakamichi" ear buds my ex-wife got at K-Mart a few years back. I was hot E36 M3 with my Nakamichi ear buds until they fell apart.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
3/31/19 3:26 p.m.

I enjoy this guy's testing and review of car audio. He's pretty impressed with the value of this unit:

Test the $10 Blaupunkt

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/1/19 7:41 p.m.

What happened to pages 2 & 3 of this thread? I get the "Something's gone wrong" screen for both...

MrMook
MrMook Reader
4/2/19 6:09 a.m.

Any overheating/noise issues? I've read these can sometimes "burn out" and emit a loud sound when the chipset overheats (or something to that effect).

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
4/2/19 8:36 a.m.

Problems with this post, I keep getting the "something went wrong" error, but I can open the first page. Will me adding to the post fix it?

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/11/19 11:54 a.m.

I was also getting that, came back to check it. 

Update, they are water resistant, put one in a buddies miata, got rained on and still works. 

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
4/11/19 12:12 p.m.

I put one in my 82 Lebaron. It does what i expect it to do. Can't complain!

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/11/19 1:13 p.m.

I just bought a $300 05 Civic that will need some kind of head unit.  This may fit the bill.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/11/19 1:33 p.m.

In reply to Aaron_King :

According to the video above this unit also has a rear positioned USB charging port.  So, at time of installation, if you run a USB extension cord you can have a easily accessed second cell phone charging port in your car!  

This USB port is likely intended to charge an amplifier since the usb power port is right next to the RCA/Amplifier plugs, but you could run a phone off it instead.  Or, you could run a dash cam off it!  

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/11/19 2:16 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Good to know, thanks.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
4/11/19 2:26 p.m.

A USB port will not power much of an amp. Typically a USB port will provide <500ma  although under some circumstances you may find one that would do 2a. Even so, 12v X 2a is 24w,  not any better than what the onboard amp will do. 

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/11/19 3:22 p.m.

I bought one for the challenge Mustang.  It’s light.....

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
U0pOvLMRrbS1rANqzWIfi7Ipndk1jsW5a7vhXrpxoKTDz5dopBcRWXgObkGqH6kL