1 ... 3 4 5
G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
5/31/19 10:55 a.m.

If any of you guys wants to do a similar experiment with an OBDII-equipped car, there seem to be a ton of cheap ($30-$40) android-based double-din units on Wish that you should be able to run Torque on for integrated virtual gauges (albeit with a low refresh rate).

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
6/15/19 7:37 p.m.

Ok, got the thing wired and working with BT, am/fm, Aux and USB.

I bought the mounting kit (Scosche) and attached the brackets. But now, how does the stereo STAY LOCKED IN to the bracket?

Do I need one of these? The Blaupunkt has one on it from the factory but it doesn’t seem to lock into the mounting bracket firmly. There’s too much play after I bent down the mounting tabs.

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
6/16/19 10:23 a.m.

The metal bracket pictured has pieces on the side that will click into the side of the radio and hold it in place. If they aren't doing that you may need to bend them a little with your hands. 

As far as getting that metal bracket to lock into your adapter plate securely, it's all down to how well and tightly you bend the tabs. I usually use the end of a screwdriver to really jam them into place. 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/3/20 9:41 a.m.

Bumping this because I just bought 2 of these headunits at $14 each on Amazon last night.

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/3/20 9:51 a.m.

I guess a update. I had one take a E36 M3 on me, and the other is still going strong. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/3/20 10:06 a.m.

So how does this do with streaming music? And hiw much power/volume does it actually have? Thinking about it for the miata....

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
3/3/20 10:32 a.m.

I am running one in my mr2 spyder. 

streaming pandora via Bluetooth from an iPhone the connection is decent.  It does not display anything on the display except  a2dp. 

volume I need to have it in the high 40s to hear normally out of about 63 for pandora. Talking podcasts I need to turn the volume to the max.

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/3/20 10:37 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

So how does this do with streaming music? And hiw much power/volume does it actually have? Thinking about it for the miata....

Maxxed out for podcast and high 40s for music 

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
3/3/20 10:39 a.m.

Mixed bag on my end. I've had one crap out completely, and removed another one because it was putting a bunch of noise out on the RCAs and swapping to any other head unit fixed it, so i replaced it with something else.  Last one i've got installed is in a car i took the carb off of last fall and haven't put back together, so we'll see what happens when i power it up again.  Overall it seems they are fragile and flawed. I'm still not totally against them for $14. I do think they might be better suited to a shop stereo or cooler stereo than a car stereo because they don't like heat or vibration from what i can tell. 

Turbine
Turbine GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/3/20 11:47 p.m.

I've been running one in my truck for the last few months. It has issues connecting to my phone via Bluetooth sometimes, but for the price, I can't complain. 
With the volume set in the 40-42 range I can hear music and podcasts over the Cummins

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
3/4/20 8:07 a.m.

I was looking at one of these $20 radios for the Power Wagon at one point, but I ended up with this JVC instead:

This one was just over $50 on sale at Best Buy, and I got a few more bucks off because there was a rip in the box. Digital media only, shallow depth so it fits weird old stuff, has a 2 line display, and you can change the button colors to match whatever you put it in. It works great and sounds even better. Bluetooth streaming and phone calls work well. If $50 is too much, I've seen some entry level Pioneers on sale for under $40.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
7/8/21 9:42 a.m.

Bump.  Looking to make myself a home stereo, what's the current hotness in ultra cheap head units?  Want AM/FM, Bluetooth, USB/SD Card input, a remote. 

Plan is one of these, + some decent speakers (open to recommendations there also) + a power supply.  I'll build my own box.  Goal is Sub $100.

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
K78na9dN4jem88DYPkX6XY1f3cEnb4rM362AtiDbWAM4Tuv7kyq6qQonU7qQeiku