1 2 3
Brotus7
Brotus7 HalfDork
8/15/14 7:07 p.m.

I've driven a couple and the giggling just doesn't stop. I'm looking to combine my B5 A4 and AW11 MR2 into a single car, and I have a Dakota for when I can't fit something in a car.

So, what does the braintrust think of the Fiat reliability and longevity? I know a few people here own them. How long do you plan on keeping yours, and how has the customer experience been so far? I've never had a new car, and I'm getting tired of fixing the old fleet. I would expect to put 10-15k on it per year.

I've driven the Fiesta ST and it's fun, but doesn't put the same absurd smile on my face.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UberDork
8/15/14 7:51 p.m.

I have no first hand experience but I have lusted after one ever since Jeremy Clarkson tested it on Top Gear. If I were in a position to have one I would in a heartbeat.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
8/15/14 8:13 p.m.

No personal experience, but I see a lot of used ones (not necessarily Abarths), which makes me think there are a lot of dissatisfied purchasers.

calteg
calteg HalfDork
8/15/14 8:14 p.m.

I really really really wanted one.

Until I drove one. The shifter is horrid. As in, inexcusably bad.

The ST is faster, more practical, and likely not too much more expensive. But if an Abarth is what you want, don't let things like logic or reason dissuade you.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/14 8:24 p.m.

I love the way they look and sound, but think I would get tired of the short wheelbase if I was on anything other than a winding back road. And an '89 Civic Si was my daily driver for 12 years.

Brotus7
Brotus7 HalfDork
8/15/14 8:27 p.m.
calteg wrote: Until I drove one. The shifter is horrid. As in, inexcusably bad. The ST is faster, more practical, and likely not too much more expensive. But if an Abarth is what you want, don't let things like logic or reason dissuade you.

The Fiat is ~20.8k. I should see how low Ford will go on a Focus or Fiesta ST. I'm struggling with this logic thing.

Any dissatisfied Fiat customers here? How about Ford ST?

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
8/15/14 8:32 p.m.

I heart the way they sound....

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
8/15/14 9:03 p.m.

This one is listed in the GRM Classifieds.

As for others, if the automatics, they are likey former rental cars. Manuals will be much harder to find.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/15/14 9:13 p.m.

iirc 3 month wait time for spark plugs since mopar is the only supplier, and 3 months for a clutch.

bentwrench
bentwrench HalfDork
8/15/14 9:23 p.m.

Fun to drive.

In the past however they have proven significantly less than reliable.

In fact they have left such a bad taste in my mouth I will never work on another, much less own one again.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
8/15/14 9:41 p.m.

I felt like you did till I drove it on a 2 lane highway and a semi passed me going the other way doing 70. I swear the thing jumped over 2 feet. Scared me severely

Brotus7
Brotus7 HalfDork
8/15/14 9:45 p.m.
icaneat50eggs wrote: I felt like you did till I drove it on a 2 lane highway and a semi passed me going the other way doing 70. I swear the thing jumped over 2 feet. Scared me severely

To be fair, I haven't driven it on a highway yet. Let's test drive one tomorrow and see if we can kill this bug and I can get it out of my system....

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
8/15/14 9:53 p.m.

Several people on here own them.... let's see what they end up saying.

Travis_K
Travis_K UberDork
8/15/14 10:21 p.m.

I have thought about getting one if I can ever afford a car that's not old and worn out (at least before they fall into that category too lol), but I haven't driven one yet. I have a feeling insurance would be extremely expensive too, bit I haven't ever checked.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
8/16/14 7:13 a.m.

I didn't really click with the Abarth. I did click with the fiesta. I could see buying the Abarth if it was $16k. Since they're both about the same price I would buy the fiesta without the slightest second thought.

chaparral
chaparral HalfDork
8/16/14 8:38 a.m.
spitfirebill wrote: No personal experience, but I see a lot of used ones (not necessarily Abarths), which makes me think there are a lot of dissatisfied purchasers.

I think they were standard-issue for Chrysler employees as well as rental-car companies. FCA employee leases are as short as 15 months.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
8/16/14 9:19 a.m.

Fiesta ST... same type of car, far superior.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
8/16/14 9:20 a.m.
mndsm wrote: I heart the way they sound....

Which can be done with any resonatorless aftermarket exhaust on any other 4 cylinder.

bentwrench
bentwrench HalfDork
8/16/14 9:22 a.m.

Focus is a much better choice

Opti
Opti Reader
8/16/14 9:29 a.m.

In reply to kanaric:

I don't know, I think they sound like a tractor. I'm not exxagerating, literally like a tractor.

http://youtu.be/MjZ7H1QOkwI

nicksta43
nicksta43 UberDork
8/16/14 10:58 a.m.

Ugh, too many Ford supporters here. The question is about a Fiat not some stupid ass pos Ford.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/16/14 11:11 a.m.
Opti wrote: In reply to kanaric: I don't know, I think they sound like a tractor. I'm not exxagerating, literally like a tractor. http://youtu.be/MjZ7H1QOkwI

Thats not the factory exhaust.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/14 11:33 a.m.
bentwrench wrote: Focus is a much better choice

Fiats aren't about better choice, they're about what you want.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
8/16/14 12:19 p.m.
nicksta43 wrote: Ugh, too many Ford supporters here. The question is about a Fiat not some stupid ass pos Ford.

which is far better than the Fiat in every category.

1.6l vs 1.4l

197hp vs 160hp

6 speed vs archaic 5 speed that makes Hyundai trans seem excellent.

15.1 vs 15.7 1/4

172ft vs ~190ft braking

12 gallon vs 10 gallon tank

60/40 vs 65/35 distribution

2750 vs 2550 lbs. The only category in which you can argue abarth.

Then you get to the fact that the Fiesta is a far more comfortable car, handles better, is more powerful, and costs less.

You really only buy the Fiat if you want a Fiat and i'm not a badge worshiper, especially not the Fiat badge. I buy whatever is best in its class and you should too. Really it's not the same class, because the Fiesta ST is a whole other class above the Abarth that can't be equaled without extensive modding. This is almost like arguing from a WRX (non-sti) vs EVO standpoint, the fiesta is that much superior. If you want the inferior car with VW equivalent reliability then be my guest.

If you buy it for like Autocross and you are in a more competitive class than the Fiesta ST is the only reason I would buy one. If they are in the same class.... good luck.

Sorry for the harsh reality here but it's in response to a harsh post.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UberDork
8/16/14 1:08 p.m.

Three counter points.

1. Fiesta is four door only. Immediately knocks it off my list.

2. I sat in one and the console completely blocks me from comfortably using the shifter.

3. It's a berkeleying Ford. berkeley Ford.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UfxNZA3SkNb98lRCDk6354aIRvcVmT94l1SXeORwnDVI5HVUYfde5givROoMy0I7