1 2 3
Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
4/28/14 3:17 p.m.

I've been a Fox body notch fan for decades. Since I saw my first Indiana State Police Mustang erupt in a brilliant flash of red and blues. Everyone here also knows how big of an LR4 fan I am. So why hasn't someone put these two magnificent pieces of automotive awesomeness together?

THe '92 Fox notch made 205hp@4200/275tq@3000. The 04-06 LR4 made 285@5200/295@4000. Intake swap (to clear the hood) to a FAST intake, a cam to bump up the powerband and you're looking at a 350hp/325tq engine that loves to rev. Would the World Class T-5 hold together? Yes it makes more overall power, but it's higher in the RPM range so you're not stressing it with massive amounts of torque off idle. My gut says "Yes, it will".

So... now someone needs to do this, finish it to about 85% then sell it to me for a loss. Who's first?

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/28/14 4:22 p.m.

There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.

Gasoline
Gasoline SuperDork
4/28/14 4:49 p.m.

They all last for a while.

I had a lowly T top '85 with a fairly new WCT5 gears. It was probably making all of 200hp and barely 13.5's. At the dragstrip I broke the case of the T5 completely in half. Hurst Shifter snapped off rotating around and took out the drivers window. Console full of pennies flying around inside the car like a bomb went off. The rest of the transmission banged around/thru in the tunnel 'til I got it stopped. It sliced the tunnel open like a can opener every time it came around.

I did have a (front and rear), driveshaft safety loop, hooked to subframe connectors that helped control the bad situation.

I probably still have doo doo in my britches from that one.

MichaelYount
MichaelYount Reader
4/28/14 4:59 p.m.

Lots of LS'x' swaps into fox bodies (and everything else!). Plenty of parts available for the swap. But if you're going to the trouble, why not the LQ4 at 6.0L instead of an LR4? They're readily available as they came in so many trucks/SUV's and not exceptionally pricey. Yes - you're moving beyond the rated torque of the T5 - but they seem to hold up pretty well depending on the level of abuse.

b13990
b13990 New Reader
4/29/14 6:30 p.m.

Most of the 5.0HO Mustangs were rated at 300 lb-ft, and they used the T-5. So you'd technically still in compliance with that transmission's torque capacity even at 295 lb-ft, unless I'm missing something. Of course, it's more than possible to blow up a T-5 using only a stock Mustang GT, and this would be equally true of your new creation.

jstancel
jstancel Reader
4/29/14 8:18 p.m.

I have no experience with a T5 behind an LS engine but it all points to being a bad idea. The cost savings of going with a T5 is pointless when it does not last. I have a T56 in my LS powered car. It has out lasted 2 clutches. If size is a concern go with a 4 speed.

What is the budget?

EDT
EDT New Reader
4/29/14 9:01 p.m.

There is also the T-5z if you are worried about the WC not holding up, they have a little higher torque rating. That being said, I have a WC T-5 in my FFR Daytona with 450 lb-ft at the crank and it hasn't blown in a couple thousand aggressive miles. Just don't slam through the gears or do clutch dumps with sticky tires and I see the transmission holding up just fine.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/29/14 9:37 p.m.

PHR did a truck LS into a fox Mustang project about sixish years ago. Really in depth articles. I gave my copies to Thundercougarfalcongoat or I'd send them to you.

plance1
plance1 Dork
4/29/14 9:47 p.m.

LR4? LQ4? u guys lost me...happens a lot

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
4/29/14 10:15 p.m.

I came in here expecting a something really dumb like "SMF kia or hyundai product"

Doesn't the LR4 take boost ridiculously well? Like 900whp-on-an-un-opened-motor-well? Do it. It'll be awesome without boost and triple the awesome with boost.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
4/29/14 10:41 p.m.

In reply to plance1:

GenIII GM truck V8 . . .

• LR4 = 4.8L
  • LQ4 = 6.0L
edizzle89
edizzle89 Reader
4/30/14 5:22 a.m.

i think a 4 speeds with the right set of rear gears would do well, it will hold the power and versus the price of a t56 it seems like a good option

MichaelYount
MichaelYount Reader
4/30/14 5:57 a.m.
Strike_Zero wrote: In reply to plance1: GenIII GM truck V8 . . . - LR4 = 4.8L - LQ4 = 6.0L

Adding - LS 'style' architecture, cast iron block, aluminum heads.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
4/30/14 7:11 a.m.

What about the T-45, TR-3550, TR-3650 or TKO-600? They kind of get forgotten between the T-5 and T-56.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
4/30/14 7:13 a.m.
edizzle89 wrote: i think a 4 speeds with the right set of rear gears would do well, it will hold the power and versus the price of a t56 it seems like a good option

Yes this, plus the transmissions are smaller, lighter, as well as generally cheaper.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/30/14 7:19 a.m.

To add to RossD's suggestions, A built T-45 or TR-3650 (http://www.thet45source.com/) would offer smoother shifts and a lower cost than a T-56.

I've read a lot about T-5 longevity. It seems like it's a crapshoot, but the things that will most likely lead to an early demise involve hard launches on sticky tires. The T-5 and T-45 don't include internal stops, so you'll want to buy an aftermarket shifter with external stops if you go that route.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
4/30/14 7:57 a.m.

thinking "on a budget" here. We already know the short stroke LR4 likes to rev. 7k is the easy button on stock internals without sweating it. A T-5 car would be cheaper initially because every thing is already there.

Why not an LQ4? WEll, I don't want it. They cost 3-4 times as much as an LR4 and they don't like to rev as freely. I can source a 4.8 locally for $3-400. LQ4 is pushing the $1200 range for a good one, $1000 for a ragged one.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
4/30/14 8:44 a.m.

Tis true . . . Price wise to get a complete 4.8L is sometimes cheaper to pick up than a 6.0L shortblock.

The prices of 4.8L have been creeping up since all of the successful boost to stoopid power articles and stories surfaced.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
4/30/14 8:44 a.m.

In reply to edizzle89:

the truck 6L came in either Aluminum block or the iron block. I know people seek the iron block because its got more forged components for boost.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
4/30/14 8:48 a.m.
Strike_Zero wrote: In reply to plance1: GenIII GM truck V8 . . . - LR4 = 4.8L - LQ4 = 6.0L

Oh, I was picturing a Land Rover engine in a Mustang. Makes A LOT more "sense" now. Carry on.

b13990
b13990 New Reader
4/30/14 10:39 p.m.
RossD wrote: What about the T-45, TR-3550, TR-3650 or TKO-600? They kind of get forgotten between the T-5 and T-56.

I had a Mustang with a TR-3650 and I liked it a lot. It was very easy to shift and amenable to clutchless shifting. It survived many dozens of quarter-mile passes without any trouble at all.

Had I swapped in a T-56, as so many of the "cool kids" did (or were always planning to do...), I would have had to shift three times in the quarter-mile instead of just two. I liked the way the TR-3650 was matched perfectly to the quarter-mile distance: two shifts required, with the tachometer needle just reaching the redline at the end of a good pass. And it's not like the lack of a 6th gear affected top speed; that was limited by power, not gearing.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
4/30/14 10:43 p.m.

Lr4. Why no land rover in this thread?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/30/14 10:53 p.m.

With a puny 4.8 i'd rather have as many closely and evenly spaced gears as possible.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
4/30/14 11:21 p.m.

Yup, only 4.8 Liters. That's why all mustangs until 2011 sucked, right? Because they were EVEN TINIER THAN THAT AND HAD NO TORQUE! Now with 5.0L they have 'borderline acceptable torque'.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/1/14 6:00 a.m.

In reply to Vigo:

As if you can consider a mere 5 liters enough.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KTVxEPhQhZs2AzQRe8UIVX3m9dzhGNKG43xO64ioEWEUI6JeIdKbKIvyhcrZpLPx