Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/29/20 8:45 a.m.
feature_image

Bring a Trailer might not be the cure for Coronavirus, but it certainly makes shelter-in-place more bearable.

How did the auction company get its start? Well, like many young, budding automotive enthusiasts, it started with flipping through the classifieds with friends.

Head over to our sister publication Classic Motorsport to get the full story.

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/29/20 10:09 a.m.

Call me biased, but does that M3 look perfect? 

JoeTR6 (Forum Supporter)
JoeTR6 (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/29/20 10:25 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Needs more twisty roads around it.  But yeah, the car looks awesome.

Shaun
Shaun Dork
5/29/20 10:56 a.m.

Any direction from Portland is pretty good for twisty roads!

Cactus
Cactus HalfDork
5/29/20 10:57 a.m.

I miss the old BAT. I miss Throttle Yard.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
5/29/20 11:03 a.m.

I have sold 4 on BAT. Bought 2.  BAT is great for sellers!

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
5/29/20 12:25 p.m.

I hate the comment section , too many know it alls  and  its not worth....blah blah blah.

maybe I am not thick skinned enough to put a car on there......

Number1Gaza
Number1Gaza GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/30/20 7:36 p.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

The comments section is pretty much the antithesis of GRM.  Makes me want to barf more often than not.

Having said that, there are some awfully cool cars there.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
5/30/20 7:49 p.m.

I an sure the comments are edited , saying that the ones that get thru are often  snarky  from what seems like trolls  just trying  to start  an argument .

I've sold one on BaT too.  I'm starting to feel like it's shifting to an online Barrett Jackson.  I remember when you could buy projects and affordable drivers there.  Now it's becoming very collector, numbers matchy, and everyone expects a binder full of receipts.  

I think BaT is actually leaving a lot of GRM types behind now.  I used to check my e mail update daily.  Now I delete it more than I look.

Dieselboss15
Dieselboss15 New Reader
5/30/20 10:31 p.m.
Number1Gaza said:

The comments section is pretty much the antithesis of GRM.  Makes me want to barf more often than not.

Having said that, there are some awfully cool cars there.

ya like this one xd

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2016-ford-mega-rex-ford-f-250-super-duty-xl-crew-cab-4x4/

Dieselboss15
Dieselboss15 New Reader
5/30/20 10:37 p.m.

i used to go on there a lot but there was just too much hate going on... some sweet cars on there tho.

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports HalfDork
5/30/20 11:10 p.m.

It isn't Bring a Trailer anymore, it is Bring a Boatload of Cash...

Dave M (Forum Supporter)
Dave M (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
5/31/20 6:02 a.m.
Cactus said:

I miss the old BAT. I miss Throttle Yard.

Amen. We need someone to start a replacement, where cheap cool cars get auctioned, rather than super rare, super expensive cars.

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/31/20 7:40 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Editorial Director, Grassroots Motorsports & Classic Motorsports

It sure does!   I don’t recognize the wheels?

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
5/31/20 7:40 a.m.

The peanut gallery is what makes BAT work for both parties.

People who pay the big dollar for a classic car are not "Car Guys". They are guys with $$$ who suddenly WANT a classic car. So for them the question is how to tell if the car is a good one? Enter the peanut gallery of "experts".

Do your due diligence and sort out the comments and you can learn a lot about a car that you are looking at.Even if you are a flipper, maybe the marque is not one you are familiar with so there is value to the banter.

BAT is getting a reputation for triaging cars. That gives the buyers confidence that the merch is good.

With the site now being evolved as a good way to buy cars, it also becomes a good place to sell cars. The peanut gallery should only be offensive to those that would rather not have flaws exposed or who are misrepresenting the goods on sale.

nimblemotorsports said:

It isn't Bring a Trailer anymore, it is Bring a Boatload of Cash...

How dare they be successful I guess?

gunner (Forum Supporter)
gunner (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/31/20 6:05 p.m.

I tried to sell the M5 on BaT a couple years ago, I felt like there was a glut of them that were on there at the time, like someone had turned on the e28 M5 spigot and the money they went for kept getting less and less with my car being the last one before the spigot got turned off. Mine didn't sell because I was too stubborn to take the $25,000 reserve off, and it didn't sell for just over 21k. The lead bidder ended up bidding against himself but since it was under the reserve he finally gave up. The process was fine though, and I actually got to chat with the second owner in the comments for a bit, he found it because it included a second back seat which he had gotten ahold of to repair some leather on the front seat and never got it done. Anyway, It was fun, I was disappointed at the end and was just like, whatever, I'll keep it for that amount. Really at the time I wasn't ready to get sell it, and that's ok. I had some sellers remorse near the end of the auction so it was ok. I probably sound like an angry old man at this point, I have seen several of them sell for decent prices since then. I won't be putting it back on there though, since they only allow a car to be on there once from the same seller.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
5/31/20 7:35 p.m.

Just sold my e39 M5 on BAT on Friday. Was MUCH more respectful and positive in the comments section than I was expecting but that may have been due to the condition. Car got into a bit of a bidding war and got scooped by a SERIOUS collector for good money. Was such an exciting last 2 minutes as the bidders went back and forth as my wife is jumping up and down!

Maybe it's due to the in person auctions being shut down but some serious money sitting around on BAT if you have a collector car in need of a new home. 

dyintorace (Forum Supporter)
dyintorace (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/31/20 7:56 p.m.

I hope to find out how it works soon, as I plan to list my 50k mile 993 there. smiley

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WfLtStSBjXDGz9NALDJWtxMtdvfFEvnFx91oNSkY9Lc87NVVliwWahFYf32YB0Vb