Stuc
Stuc HalfDork
11/18/08 10:26 p.m.

So, I finally got my Corolla running and its time to bring my Accent back after all the neglect it has been getting. I've been pushing it along on bent endlinks and used oil and when I was in the j-yard the other day I noticed that the previous model Accent had the same expensive endlinks, and yoinked them!

I've included a picture of them. I have an adjustable, larger swaybar on the front and rear of the car. On the front, it seems the stock endlinks couldn't handle it and are now bent 90*. Honestly, I'm surprised they haven't broken yet.

So, here is a picture of them.

Photobucket

I have access to a MIG welder and scrap metal, as well as a friend I may be able to have TIG them. I'm just not sure what kind of support to add to them. I'm not sure if welding is even possible, being as how it would have to weld onto the balljoint housing? Any sort of suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago Reader
11/18/08 11:52 p.m.

would it be possible to fab up some new endlinks instead of trying to reinforce the stockers?

914Driver
914Driver Dork
11/19/08 6:22 a.m.

Welding may melt the rubber and boil out the grease.

Is your goal to make these ends parallel, make them 180' apart? Cut the link in half, thread each half of round stock and screw it into a union, that's a nut that's 3X longer.

Locktite is your friend.

Dan

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 New Reader
11/19/08 11:46 a.m.

You could just make some heim jointed end links (if they aren't readily available already as a race part). I think a few GRM advertisers list heim joints for sale. If not, I know Aurora bearing offers the heim joints.

Stuc
Stuc HalfDork
11/19/08 2:14 p.m.

I was thinking of rigging some up from the McMaster catalog, but thought it would be safer to do something with these. I don't want to change the geometry at all, I just wanted to strengthen the bar between the two ball-joint ends so it didn't bend again.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
11/19/08 2:58 p.m.

The really short length of these would make it tricky to come up with a rod end version. I guess you could do one female and one male and you might make it work.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Reader
11/19/08 3:22 p.m.
Stuc wrote: I just wanted to strengthen the bar between the two ball-joint ends so it didn't bend again.

1)Find a piece of pipe with an i.d. the same as the o.d of that bar on the endlink. 2)cut into two pieces (or 4 if they're the same in the rear) the same length as or slightly longer than the endlink bars. 3)cut new pipes down the middle (longways) 4)weld pipe sections to endlink bars one side at a time. A few tacks in the middle to start and then move outward towards the joints. If you see boiling/melting of the ball joints then stop! Try using a large vice grip (or even a vice) on the ball joint as a heat sink to keep it intact. 5)weld the other side of the pipe to the one you just put on. You've just sleaved your end links.

This is off the top of my head and I've never done it but seems like it would work. As long as the welds are good you shouldn't need lots of them to gain some extra strength.

YMMV

Our Preferred Partners
9DNe00KdLdfAljmOcmA91gBGi5UwQQqbfFzl2OGIKab4H5uXRv3Xw5Mim3n8Zg2J