David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/19/22 10:31 a.m.
feature_image

It’s back-to-school time, meaning that summer’s coming to a close–probably quicker than we’d like.

So, how did yours go? Make good progress on a project? Have some good showings?

With our Garage Rescue Miata, it’s been a little quiet since late June.

We can explain.

The night before our July autocross, we discovered a puddle beneath our 44-year-old …

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
8/19/22 10:32 a.m.

And, ta-da, our new water heater. 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/19/22 11:36 a.m.

Never seen a water heater that used PVC piping ...

David S. Wallens
8/19/22 11:38 a.m.

In reply to Slippery :

That's how they did it, and it passed the city inspection so I'm guessing it's okay.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/19/22 3:17 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

It's just the drip / drain pan line.  That's fairly common for PVC these days.  If the heater fails it could protect the structure some.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/19/22 3:25 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

Zoom in. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/19/22 11:38 p.m.

It's been a good summer for autocross for me. We've closed our office on Sundays, which is a huge development. I'm also down to working only one Saturday a month, so my goal for maximum possible seat time is on a new level.

Four years in, I'm continuing to improve my skills. I won the E Street class with my Miata the first day at Daytona. It wasn't my first class win, but it was my first one in our local SCCA chapter. 

I picked up a manual transmission 08 civic coupe ("V-tec slow") for a daily driver, and alternate autocross car. I can also do some track driving now. My Miata doesn't have a roll bar, so that wasn't a possibility for it.

I got a good deal on some used stuff for the civic: a set of koni shocks, a Progress RSB, some Enkie wheels and a set of Yokohama tires.

Despite being really slow with only the 1.8, the first time out I finished second in H Street and second in the track sprint that afternoon at the Firm. 

At the last Martin Sports Car Club event I beat all the other Miatas, and was getting closer to a fast MR-S that's been the dominant local competitor in E Street. 

And best of all, I'm having fun with my friends! See you Sunday, David!

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
8/20/22 2:10 a.m.

Had a good couple of track days. Not as much as I would've liked, but definitely pushed the car to its limits so maybe it's good I didn't have more. Found the bounds. Will now adjust the car. 

Main issues are in the braking setup, the OEM sliders are ok on the street but  just heat up like crazy even with ducting on track. BBK here I come! Also need a compound that's less rotor aggressive. The GLOC R6 are nice but I can see they're kind of eating the rotor, lots of rotor deposit on my wheels. I'll probably go with Ferodo offerings. The DS2500 and DS1.11 look to be good street/track compounds that should be easier on the rotors. 

Found the oil cooler to be well worth the money. Very happy with it and keeps the car at much happier oil temps on track. 

SuperDave
SuperDave New Reader
8/20/22 3:06 p.m.

One introductory track event in February.  

One autox in March.

Technically not Summer events but the season is hard to pin down here unless you go strictly by dates of the Solstice.

Getting some electrical work performed in the garage to enhance project capabilities going forward and support a mini split HVAC unit.

Found a set of the light 14" OE wheels for the Miata to replace the slugs it came to us with.  Put on our first set of 200TW tires (Falken Azenis RT615K).  It's a different car with good tires.  Replaced both rear brake calipers and pads. 

Shifter rebuild.  Based on how old parts looked it was way overdue.

Missed three autox events.  One canceled, one due to a sick pet, and one due to a positive Covid test for the Mrs.  It's like lost sleep, you never make them up.

But...  Made one this month, one scheduled for September, then two in October so optimistic for the remainder of the year.

Sold a motorcycle I'd owned for 23 years and never thought it would leave but (sorry George) all things must pass.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
8/20/22 3:15 p.m.

Going fast, kicking ass. We're 6 events in and I'm sitting in second overall and leading our combined ST/CAM/XS class. Best-ever season so far.

I also got my best-ever PAX finish of 2nd overall in a borrowed E/Street MR-2 Spyder. I was only 0.030 seconds out of Top PAX

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
8/20/22 6:22 p.m.

Didn't get to the track as much as I'd like this summer.  Conflicts with other vacations, kids activities, air force duty, etc.  Have a track day in September and one more in October and that's it for the season.  I'm getting more comfortable with slip angle in the 911 at track speeds, will continue to work on that.  I'd like to shave another second of my PB this season, that'd be great...

RWRhein
RWRhein New Reader
8/21/22 7:55 a.m.

Building and 'Test & Tune' 1st Gen Neon ACR this spring and summer.

With the 3rd Gen RX-7 out for drivetrain 13B rotary and OE transmission rebuilds, I bought the Neon to reduce my hourly cost of operation on track. Simply so I can afford more track time at local Eagles Canyon Raceway (membership track).

The Neon has been easy in comparison to the RX-7; learning curve, ability to find suppliers, performance parts, reference materials and aforementioned affordability. The ACR was chosen for the HPDE vehicle for a couple reasons; nostalgia being the most significant. My Dad was a career Chrysler employee and I drove an ACR off the Belvedere assembly line in 1996.

I'm pointing by most everything at the track on Member HPDE days, but my times are getting better and I'm told most of what I'm learning will apply to the RWD RX-7.

David S. Wallens
8/22/22 1:30 p.m.
NickD said:

Going fast, kicking ass. We're 6 events in and I'm sitting in second overall and leading our combined ST/CAM/XS class. Best-ever season so far.

I also got my best-ever PAX finish of 2nd overall in a borrowed E/Street MR-2 Spyder. I was only 0.030 seconds out of Top PAX

Love the blue and purple on the Miata. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/22/22 4:09 p.m.

My summer was awful.  The firewood refused to run out, the sunsets were too pretty, the fishing was too good, and the beer was too cold.  Thankfully my family and I only had to endure 6 weeks of this bullE36 M3

David S. Wallens
8/24/22 10:20 a.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

I think you won. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/24/22 11:13 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I certainly don't win autocross, so I figured a 15-mph pontoon boat is right up my alley.

David S. Wallens
8/25/22 4:17 p.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

Sounds ideal. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NgZTnLYc14iFwddsPsmokhmowa6IoK5iTTtj0L8a8avGr1DU5jKdaRUsBLiAe7ew