1 2 3 4
Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
9/1/16 3:06 p.m.

A legitimate question. Not trying to be a condescending wonka. (too soon?)

I ask because I keep seeing, what appears to be, the wrong people for the Wrong car. Do they just shop around for the best deal? Do they actually do research? Or do they simply show up at every dealership in town and go through the motions until the find a finance plan that works for their budget? (Or until they tucker out due to the time consuming process of buying a car?)

It makes sense sometimes- burly guy in a sleeveless shirt and a mossy oak hat driving a jeep? Yeah. 30-something house wife with a million kids in a van? Yep. Contractor or rancher driving a dually? Makes sense. But single guy in LA driving a Tahoe with no bling and no ski rack? Mom with five kids driving a Prius? Young guy with a Porsche or vette always makes me chuckle. (How'd he afford that? He's younger than me!)

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
9/1/16 3:06 p.m.

Maybe they throw a dart?

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/1/16 3:11 p.m.

Maybe they don't go judging books by their covers and buy whatever the berkeley they want?

Or does that go against your prejudices and ignorant, preconceived notions?

Nah. Maybe its the Illuminati and they are secretly telling people what to buy.

Seriously, this is a pretty E36 M3ty thing to think and say dude.

trucke
trucke Dork
9/1/16 3:12 p.m.

Credit! Way over their heads! I used to ask the same question. Just sign here!

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
9/1/16 3:15 p.m.
Stefan (Not Bruce) wrote: Maybe they don't go judging books by their covers and buy whatever the berkeley they want?

This.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/1/16 3:22 p.m.
Trackmouse wrote: Young guy with a Porsche or vette always makes me chuckle. (How'd he afford that? He's younger than me!)

Look up what petroleum engineers make out of college. There are a couple of younger guys out here in the car scene, young are still roommates and have 6 figure salaries.

In 2010 (only a few years out of college) one was driving a new DCT M3, the other a new Lexus IS-F

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
9/1/16 3:29 p.m.

I've got a wagon but no kids, and a Jeep XJ that's not been more off road than the cattle pasture.

I question, and laugh to myself about things that seem a little bit off frequently, but to each their own. I can and often question things, and observe incongruities that amuse and/or baffle me, not just automotive related. Guess I'm prejudice?

The dealership I wrote service at had salesmen that believed they could put anyone in anything, while that's not the Gospel truth, there are quite a few "anyones" that fell prey to their sales tactics.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
9/1/16 3:32 p.m.

There's a local young fellow that shows up at our car gatherings in a Lambo. Apparently he owns it, it ain't his daddy's. I have no idea how he affords it , none of my business.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
9/1/16 3:36 p.m.

I agree that some people seen to be "out of place" in their vehicles though. Just look at how many single occupant, 5000 pound SUVs you see on the morning commute.I worked with several people who wondered out loud how I could cope with a MINI Cooper.One even suggested that he was pretty sure I could afford better. Some people just get the most they can for their chosen monthly payment. Each to his own.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
9/1/16 3:39 p.m.

Judgments aside...It's shocking how many people wander into a dealership, knowing next to nothing about the brand, absolutely nothing about the models offered or pricing, nothing about financing, nothing about what they can or should afford, and nearly nothing about what they actually need vs want in a vehicle. Luckily for them we have a dealership system in place that will do all of this on the consumer's behalf, look out for the consumer's best interest, and protect the consumer from the perils of buying directly from the manufacturer...All in exchange for a nominal mark-up. LOL

NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
9/1/16 3:41 p.m.

I'm just going to throw this out... sub-prime automobile loans... IMHO opinion, one of the biggest drivers of what has been discussed here.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
9/1/16 3:52 p.m.
Stefan (Not Bruce) wrote: Maybe they don't go judging books by their covers and buy whatever the berkeley they want? Or does that go against your prejudices and ignorant, preconceived notions? Nah. Maybe its the Illuminati and they are secretly telling people what to buy. Seriously, this is a pretty E36 M3ty thing to think and say dude.

I LOVE how when I post something, one incredible dickhead manages to come in and cum out his mouth in order disagree with me. The hilarious part is like ten other people come into the same thread and play ball and have nothing offensive to say, nor feel incensed at my thoughts.

Stay the berkeley out of my threads asshat.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/1/16 3:54 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
Trackmouse wrote: Young guy with a Porsche or vette always makes me chuckle. (How'd he afford that? He's younger than me!)
Look up what petroleum engineers make out of college. There are a couple of younger guys out here in the car scene, young are still roommates and have 6 figure salaries. In 2010 (only a few years out of college) one was driving a new DCT M3, the other a new Lexus IS-F

I've heard the expression "Silicon Valley Civic" to describe the BMW 3-series, because that's what many new-hire software engineers buy when they get their first job...

Stefan (Not Bruce)
9/1/16 3:58 p.m.
Trackmouse wrote:
Stefan (Not Bruce) wrote: Maybe they don't go judging books by their covers and buy whatever the berkeley they want? Or does that go against your prejudices and ignorant, preconceived notions? Nah. Maybe its the Illuminati and they are secretly telling people what to buy. Seriously, this is a pretty E36 M3ty thing to think and say dude.
I LOVE how when I post something, one incredible dickhead manages to come in and cum out his mouth in order disagree with me. The hilarious part is like ten other people come into the same thread and play ball and have nothing offensive to say, nor feel incensed at my thoughts. Stay the berkeley out of my threads asshat.

Ooh, internet tough guy. I guess the help I provided in your other threads is worthless?

Have fun and sorry for expressing an OPINION that was contrary to yours. I guess group "thinking" wins this round.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/1/16 4:01 p.m.

As for the question about "the dumb", as with a lot of things, it comes down to the ability to take a step back, look at long-term vs short-term tradeoffs, and be willing to make a decision that gives up short term gratification in exchange for longer-term benefits. This is a learned skill and not everyone learns it at the same time.

So yeah, a lot of people go out and just buy whatever strikes their fancy at the moment they're in the market for a car without really thinking it through. A lot of car advertising and financing is set up specifically to enable these people to do that.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/1/16 4:19 p.m.

when my mom bought her rendezvous, the salesman tried his hardest to get her into a Magnum wagon. She absolutely hated that car, it felt too claustrophobic to her and difficult to see out the back.. yet he tried and tried and tried to sell her that car.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
9/1/16 4:20 p.m.

In reply to Stefan (Not Bruce):

It's one thing to state your differing opinion. It's another to tell someone they're being real E36 M3ty. You did the latter, not hte former and that will always ruffle feathers because it's not needed.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
9/1/16 4:25 p.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

Just because the truth might hurt, doesn't make it any less true.

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
9/1/16 4:28 p.m.

I always figure dumb people stumble into a CarMax or other dealership and then the vultures attack their prey. Too weak to make their own decisions, they wind up with a car they really don't want, but hey, the salesman said it was a great deal!

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
9/1/16 4:32 p.m.

I don't really care what particular model of vehicle a person buys. I completely don't understand the truck love for people who don't need a truck, but, hey, its a free country.

The thing people need help with is buying the car they want that's not a complete pile of E36 M3. My oath, the garbage that people buy without asking for a checkup. And, even worse, the people who bring it for an inspection, and then ignore your very strong advice you give to take it back where it came from.

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
9/1/16 4:44 p.m.

Meh from what I understand most people don't actually do the research to understand values so they walk into a dealership with maybe a body style in mind or something they saw they like. Then its up to the sales guy. The good ones ask probing questions to find out what is that perfect fit the bad ones size you up like prey and try to get you into whatever will make them the most commission at that time.

Luckily despite popular opinion there are car salesman that are good guys and they will do alright by you. You'll never get the best deal possible going in uninformed but people can still get something reasonably priced, affordable, and that fits their needs. Ultimately that't what matters. I'm sure there are plenty of very informed people that used facts to convince themselves to buy something that ends up being a bad purchase for them as much as there are people who have no clue getting the perfect vehicle.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
9/1/16 4:49 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: In reply to Stefan (Not Bruce): It's one thing to state your differing opinion. It's another to tell someone they're being real E36 M3ty. You did the latter, not hte former and that will always ruffle feathers because it's not needed.

I see, so we shouldn't call each other out for being E36 M3ty? I thought this was a community where we could do that?

Also, how thin-skinned does one need to be to react like that after being called out for being wrong in their thinking?

Oh, right, this is the internet.

Moving on, my point still stands, people buy what they want or they just get whatever running and driving from a friend/family member or rental agency, etc. Since you're only making a judgement based on a few minutes or seconds of silent observation, you don't really know the entire story.

Similar to how people live in places that many of us would find unacceptable or perhaps, strange.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
9/1/16 5:00 p.m.
Stefan (Not Bruce) wrote:
Bobzilla wrote: In reply to Stefan (Not Bruce): It's one thing to state your differing opinion. It's another to tell someone they're being real E36 M3ty. You did the latter, not hte former and that will always ruffle feathers because it's not needed.
I see, so we shouldn't call each other out for being E36 M3ty? I thought this was a community where we could do that?

The difference is here we do it politely. OR, most of the time. This obviously is not one of them. I'm not taking "sides" in this E36 M3 show. I'm merely pointing out that we're not being kind to one another and that we, as a whole, could stand to be a little more patient and understanding of one another. What you take as anger and self-servitude others do not.

I understand the question in principle. The single woman that buys a massive suburban or the bro-dozers that never leave a parking lot. Those seem at odds from one another.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
9/1/16 5:00 p.m.

Sorry this is really simple. "Want and Need" simply do no intercept for most of the population.

Two taking people at appearance is a way to get your teeth kicked in financially or physically. 99% of the people on their earth would look at me and no idea of my net worth. One of the reasons I really love living on the west coast.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
9/1/16 5:06 p.m.

For most people, cars are a grudge buy. As long as it does the job.

1 2 3 4

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
BfHDKNtHRF1hnrueaHZxMqqTzayDQHTbirGVOYQ589xZ7BC6rCAlBDnNffy8i42r