1 2 3
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/5/21 8:19 a.m.
feature_image

Picture a Corvette ZR-1. It’s probably red, right?

This 1991 Corvette ZR-1 in Turquoise Metallic–according to the ZR-1 registry, one of just 97 built that year in this color–fetched only $18,700 at Mecum’s recent Orlando sale. Hagerty says that a top, top example should bringing north of $41,000, with a good one worth $16,600.

Mecum billed this example …

Read the rest of the story

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
8/5/21 8:23 a.m.

I like Nassau Blue on early C orvettes.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/5/21 8:33 a.m.

obsolete
obsolete GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/5/21 8:37 a.m.

Yeah, with 80s/90s nostalgia kicking into high gear, I'm surprised it didn't sell for more. That teal is a very 1991 color.

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/5/21 8:41 a.m.

What obsolete said... even Honda offered the Civic Si in that color in 1991.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/5/21 8:46 a.m.
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) said:

What obsolete said... even Honda offered the Civic Si in that color in 1991.

They certainly did. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
8/5/21 9:09 a.m.

I hate red, so any color Corvette is better. But I hate C4s with a passion, so this is a no-go for me.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/5/21 9:11 a.m.

I would have paid more for Turquoise.  Wally's being the exception, I don't like red Corvettes.

j_tso
j_tso Reader
8/5/21 9:14 a.m.

I like 'em in yellow

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/5/21 9:18 a.m.

I generally prefer blue or green, and really liked that teal when it came out. 

BA5
BA5 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/5/21 10:04 a.m.

I picture a C4 ZR-1 as being white.

I like corvettes to be white.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
8/5/21 10:10 a.m.

While I'm all about teal C4's, yellow has been growing on me lately, especially since my dad dragged home a 2010 3LT convertible in yellow a few years back. It's a totally audacious color, and people freak out over it wherever he goes. It's pretty hard to miss. Here it is, asking my poor Trans Am how it got to be so messed up a couple years ago.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
8/5/21 10:22 a.m.

That's a real retro colour choice.  It will limit the market for it.  GM made one 2010 prototype Solstice coupe in that colour and said "Hmm - well, maybe not...."

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
8/5/21 10:24 a.m.

White is nice on a lot of generations of Corvette but maybe not C4's as, for some reason, they make me think of folks who deal with recreational substance abuse.  I feel like the C4 and red is a pretty perfect match.  Whatever that dark blue was that they use late in the C4's life looked pretty great, I think a lot of the Grand Sports were painted in it.  C8's look outstanding in white, to me at least.

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
8/5/21 10:43 a.m.

Honestly, if looking for a 90's collectable car, I'd rock that in a heartbeat... Just like the turquoise pearl XJS on factory chrome wheels I saw (for sale) recently.

A recent survey I saw found that yellow is the best sport car color for resale value. Apparently too few buy it new relative to how many want it used.

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
8/5/21 10:44 a.m.

Did someone say teal? laugh

(Or is it turquoise? Or aqua? Seafoam??? I always get them mixed up...)

Here's some of my favorites (sadly none of them are mine):

I'll even throw in some Chevys:

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
8/5/21 10:45 a.m.

Also, it may limit the potential buyers when it comes to resale, but I would argue that certain buyers would be willing to pay just as much if not more for a car in a unique color. I'm tired of white, red, black, and silver.

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/5/21 10:47 a.m.

If I was shopping right now, it would be one of these. 

2020 Corvette C8: Here's A Look At All The Available Colors | Carscoops

If You Want to Buy an Orange C8 Corvette, 2021 Is Your Last Chance

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/5/21 11:08 a.m.

Well, I like Corvettes that aren't red but I don't like teal and the C4 Corvette is kind of a low water mark so that one's a hard pass from me.

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Dork
8/5/21 11:29 a.m.

I love the teal, but Cyclamen gets my vote:

c0rbin9
c0rbin9 Reader
8/5/21 11:34 a.m.

Teal is a color everyone likes on their neighbor's car but never wants for their own.

I always prefer 'boring' classic colors - silver, red, black, metallic blue, and gray.

Ironically, classic colors seem to be more rare on the used market even though they were originally produced in greater numbers. With 300ZXs, for example, you see a lot of white ones and hardly any red or silver, even though more of the latter were produced.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
8/5/21 11:36 a.m.
APEowner said:

Well, I like Corvettes that aren't red but I don't like teal and the C4 Corvette is kind of a low water mark so that one's a hard pass from me.

C4's are a low water mark?  Versus, say, most years of the C3?  I am no Corvette superfan but at least the C4 brought the brand to noticeable improvements in handling, stopping, and over time acceleration.  I doubt build quality was any worse than the C3 and was probably better, again improving over time.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/5/21 11:39 a.m.

In reply to APEowner :

I agree that in modern terms the C4 is lacking in performance but it was a game changer in 84.

Edit Pres589 beat me.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/5/21 11:42 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01 + Sized and :

The orange looks good but if I got one I'd get Rapid Blue

glyn ellis
glyn ellis New Reader
8/5/21 11:46 a.m.

Yellow all the way!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.