1 2 3
pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
8/5/21 11:50 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

C4's still seem like a great canvas to work from as well.  Same with 3rd gen f-body's.  They were weak from the factory but there's so much aftermarket stuff available and so much work has been done by others to be copied and learned from.  

350z247
350z247 Reader
8/5/21 11:56 a.m.

As many previous comments have already said, Corvettes should be yellow. They look good in other colors, but they look best in nice warm yellow. 

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/5/21 12:03 p.m.

Saw a C7 last weekend in Lime Rock Green. Was quite striking. 

Wasn't this one though. Unfortunately the one I saw had chrome wheels. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/5/21 12:04 p.m.

In reply to Karacticus :

That is very striking. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/5/21 12:12 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

ANYTHING BUT BLACK

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/5/21 12:15 p.m.

I owned a black 91 ZR-1 for a few years.  It was a great engine surrouded by a C4 Covette.  Someday I miss it, but other times I just enjoy being able to drive a performance car and enjoy hearing myself think in it.  The ZR-1 was so incredibly loud.  My 96 Z28 has a similar feel to that old ZR-1 but is more enjoyable largely due to the fact it was 20% of the cost of the ZR-1.  Insurance is also signifcantly cheaper, etc. since both are/were on an agreed value policy. 

I love non-standard colors and think all fun cars should be some sort of color.  It's really sad to me how all the new "cool" cars come in a variety of SUV and minivan paint colors. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/5/21 12:16 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Toyman01 + Sized and :

The orange looks good but if I got one I'd get Rapid Blue

Abso-berking-lutely.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
8/5/21 1:41 p.m.

Sorry red corvette with black or tan interior is just kind of the best choice all around. 

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/5/21 3:04 p.m.
Duke said:
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Toyman01 + Sized and :

The orange looks good but if I got one I'd get Rapid Blue

Abso-berking-lutely.

I like the blue but for some reason that color makes me thing Subaru, not Corvette.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
8/5/21 3:09 p.m.
wearymicrobe said:

Sorry red corvette with black or tan interior is just kind of the best choice all around. 

Technically, that one appears to be Marlboro Maroon.  smiley

I'm a fan of Goodwood Green.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
8/5/21 3:13 p.m.

Roman red actually. Which is exactly the same as Marlboro which is the same as riverside red. Couple different reds al around the same hue just different suppliers of the paint. 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/5/21 3:52 p.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:
APEowner said:

Well, I like Corvettes that aren't red but I don't like teal and the C4 Corvette is kind of a low water mark so that one's a hard pass from me.

C4's are a low water mark?  Versus, say, most years of the C3?  I am no Corvette superfan but at least the C4 brought the brand to noticeable improvements in handling, stopping, and over time acceleration.  I doubt build quality was any worse than the C3 and was probably better, again improving over time.

Stampie said:

In reply to APEowner :

I agree that in modern terms the C4 is lacking in performance but it was a game changer in 84.

Edit Pres589 beat me.

From a performance and handling standpoint the Corvette has generally improved with every generation and the later C3s were pretty well neutered so from a performance standpoint the C4 was an improvement over the C3.  I have the same issue with the C4 that I have with everything else GM was building at the time.  Half assed engineering and abysmal build quality.  The suspension was pretty revolutionary for the time with the big tires and alloy control arms but the chassis wasn't very rigid and the interior was cheaply made. I also never liked the looks of the C4 but that's totally subjective.  I was a GM tech in the '80s and I spent a bunch of my time fixing rattles and squeaks, replacing broken and falling off interior trim and trying to keep rainwater out.  These were brand new, flagship cars.  They may have gotten better by the end of the C4 run but by that time I'd moved on to other things.  Now people work on stuff I designed and wonder what the heck the engineer was thinking.

Despite their shortcomings I think the C4s are at a great point right now in the depreciation curve and are a bargin from a price/performance standpoint.

BionicTigerShark (Forum Supporter)
BionicTigerShark (Forum Supporter) New Reader
8/5/21 3:55 p.m.

I always liked admiral blue

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/5/21 4:01 p.m.

Yellow looks good on a Corvette.  But when you get all the way back to a C2 it needs to be a pale yellow, not bright in your face yellow.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
8/5/21 4:01 p.m.

I saw a C8 in the darker metallic red today. It was pretty but I still like blue best on a Corvette.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/5/21 4:05 p.m.

These usually came in red 

ColoradoBob
ColoradoBob New Reader
8/5/21 4:58 p.m.

I like the traditional Corvette Racing team color, yellow.  Both my previous C5 and current C6 are yellow

johndej
johndej Dork
8/5/21 5:12 p.m.

Like the teal but my neighbor has a very nice polo green C4 that catches my eye on every time it's out of the garage. Pic of similar cars

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
8/5/21 5:18 p.m.

My dad had a "Members Only" style jacket that color that he wore forever so my entire family grew to hate that color.  

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/5/21 7:08 p.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

Red is growing on me 

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/5/21 8:17 p.m.

My 75 is multiple shades of black! Lol 

But I'm partial to blues.

Despite the book, All Corvettes are Red, the first thirty were white.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
8/5/21 8:30 p.m.

Man that is cheap for a ZR1. You put a good set of 200TWs on there or some Purple Crack and this car will hurt feelings.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
8/5/21 8:33 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Big 'ol Teal Cor-vette

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/5/21 8:36 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

First 300.

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast Reader
8/5/21 8:36 p.m.

I'm going with white as my 91 Vette is white with red interior. It was what my dad wanted and he gave me the car. I actually don't mind the white but the red interior kinda drags me down. When my kids were little I told them it was the Mach 5....

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GMmU9bqhptcRf1bqTnK44q9ESsR0hpy4s2QcgJuggxXbkY6rXCwyArnsCvJOeUAA