David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/3/21 12:00 p.m.
feature_image

Yes, it was a stock 1995 Toyota Supra Turbo with a six-speed and just 7000 miles on the odometer. A blip on the radar or a sign of things to come?

Discuss.

Read the rest of the story

Turbo_Rev
Turbo_Rev New Reader
8/3/21 12:27 p.m.

Looks like supply and demand made everyone a winner again. 

And it's just a continuation of what's been happening for a decade, exacerbated by COVID hijinks. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
8/3/21 12:37 p.m.

Didn't we talk about this being a method of money laundering?

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/3/21 12:50 p.m.

My favorite car growing up and I'm now 41. Lots of folks have made money and want what they couldn't have then. I spent a spring break in 1998 driving a black one in Panama City Beach and it was very much fun. Many thanks to my female friend for letting me drive it all weekend. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/3/21 12:57 p.m.

Remember when the kids of the 60s-70s turned 40-50 and had disposable income? They spent stupid money on these:

Why should 80s-90s kids be any different?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/3/21 1:58 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Right.  IIRC it was a Hemi Challenger that was the first to sell for over a million.

The car was not as old then as a Supra is today.

IIRC it was a one of one color, from 1971, when Hemi production was in single or double digits.  Could be wrong, memory fuzzy.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/3/21 2:06 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I used the Hemi Cuda as brash example, but any cool muscle car with a GT, SS, R/T  moniker pulled dumb money. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
8/3/21 2:29 p.m.

Blip on the radar.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/3/21 2:37 p.m.

Good point on the muscle cars. I wouldn't pay 5k for a hemicuda other than resale, but I'd pay a lot for several 90s cars. 

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
8/3/21 2:49 p.m.

Prices mean nothing the the very wealthy.  Even less to me because I have nothing of value to sell.  Investment? Bragging rights?  Just wanted one and has the means?

I like this better than all of the supercars getting smashed up by people with more dollars than sense, maybe it will get cared for.

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
8/3/21 2:58 p.m.

My old boss has/had a 97' spec'd out the same way, he bought around 06' for $30k, with even less miles on it.  Ourisman Toyota in Chantilly VA at the time certified it as the lowest mileage Supra in the US, and offered him $100k for it.  He turned the offer down, and he may still have the car.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/3/21 5:06 p.m.
grover said:

Good point on the muscle cars. I wouldn't pay 5k for a hemicuda other than resale, but I'd pay a lot for several 90s cars. 

Probably closer to $500k, depending on if it was restored, or all original/restored with "lunch pail parts".  That is, new parts that accidentally came home from the factory in workers' lunch pails, as opposed to dealer network replacement parts.

The prices for some things like distributor tags, or original equipment batteries, is nuts.  Mopar guys value originality or as close as possible to it.

Hemi anything is fun because Ma Mopar started phasing out Hemi inventory in '74ish.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltimaDork
8/4/21 11:47 a.m.

I wonder how much the buyer paid for his last vintage video gaming system? It's totally the Can't-have-it-when-I-was-a-kid thing.

Want to invest? Find the high school dream car from 2005 or 2015 and buy the lowest mileage version you can. GT500? Hellcat? Or something less obvious so there are fewer nice examples?

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/4/21 12:02 p.m.
ultraclyde said:

Want to invest? Find the high school dream car from 2005 or 2015 and buy the lowest mileage version you can. GT500? Hellcat? Or something less obvious so there are fewer nice examples?

E92 M3, Elise/Exige, K20 Civic Si, things like that.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
8/4/21 12:26 p.m.

7000 miles is a big plus

what would the same car go for with 70,000 or 170,000 miles

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
8/4/21 12:34 p.m.

I can never comprehend this. I buy cars to drive, even if I could afford 100K for a hobby/toy/investment I wouldn't do it because:

a. I know I would be worried about it getting bent. 

b. I don't like having things that rarely get used and the low miles would compel one to try and keep the miles low.

c. I always look at performance vs dollars; I'd would rather spend money on a single seat race car than a performance street car.

This maybe where the market is going because Japanese cars are now fully collectable and no longer looked down upon but I just don't comprehend it.

calteg
calteg Dork
8/4/21 12:36 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

This is likely the 25th car in a collection for the fella that laid down $200k. He has an entire fleet of cars that will rarely, if ever, be driven.

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
8/4/21 12:42 p.m.

In reply to calteg :

I totally get the collector thing but again I personally can't comprehend it. I also get that this will probably turn out to be a good investment.

If ever I posses the wherewithal to have a collection it will likely be vintage race cars that routinely get exercised.  

350z247
350z247 Reader
8/5/21 6:00 p.m.

I still don't understand why these are so popular. I wouldn't drive one even if you gave it to me.

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
8/5/21 6:42 p.m.

In reply to 350z247 :

You Datsun guys are all alike.......Toyota = fate worse than death.

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/5/21 9:49 p.m.

I neither have $200k nor do I particularly want a Supra, so I don't feel anything about it. If people want to spend their money on stuff they want, and think it's worth the price, more power to them. 

350z247
350z247 Reader
8/6/21 7:07 a.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

I'm actually a BMW guy, but I couldn't afford one when I made my account. But yes, definitely not a Toyota fan. They haven't made a single car that doesn't have a competitor I find more appealing. Lexus on the other hand I can at least appreciate (IS-F, IS500, LFA).

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/6/21 10:43 p.m.
350z247 said:

In reply to Tom1200 :

I'm actually a BMW guy, but I couldn't afford one when I made my account. But yes, definitely not a Toyota fan. They haven't made a single car that doesn't have a competitor I find more appealing. Lexus on the other hand I can at least appreciate (IS-F, IS500, LFA).

I'd argue that the 2nd gen MR2 really had no competitor at all, and certainly not a more appealing one, at the time ;)

350z247
350z247 Reader
8/7/21 8:27 a.m.

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

If we pick the year I was born (1993), I'd rather have an NA Miata or a Mustang GT for thousands less and more practicality. I could also spend a bit more to get into cars like the RX7, 300ZX, and C4 Corvette.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/7/21 9:22 a.m.

That is a lot of money for a Japanese Buick.

/absolute troll/

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
B1wgmOzIUQujRxNodbBVMHk1vLR16StyyNJCQL4FEtHnY8VseyfBHMbNqenZyOL2