1 2 3
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/12/22 12:53 p.m.
feature_image

When it comes to split-spoke wheels, what do you like? Classic BBS or a different take?

A well-defined pocket around the lugs or a more gradual transition into the spokes? Parallel spokes or ones that converge a bit? One- or three-piece construction? How much lip–or do you prefer spokes that run all the way to the edge of the rim? …

Read the rest of the story

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
4/12/22 12:54 p.m.

Gotta be classic BBS.

David S. Wallens
4/12/22 12:59 p.m.

I am going to say that the new Volk 21A–that’s it in the lead photo–got me thinking about this topic. Each brand has its own take on a long-time fave. 

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/12/22 2:11 p.m.

The picture is about perfect for me. I HATE center sections that protrude from the lip in any way, I will snag that on every curb from here to Seattle. I LOVE deep-dish wheels, though I understand that it not an option for most modern cars, so these strike a good balance for me. 

I also like the number of spokes; too few make the wheel look weak, too many makes it look heavy. This is about right. 

My only change would be more space around the bolt/lug holes, I like some clearance for my socket.  

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
4/12/22 2:29 p.m.

I have always like Enkei RFP1's.  They look good on everything I see them on.  Example;

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
4/12/22 2:41 p.m.

Forgeline can really do no wrong as far as I'm concerned

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/12/22 2:51 p.m.

BMW Style 65 for me. Best looking wheel BMW has ever made, especially in the 18x9.5. Also brutally expensive.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/12/22 4:05 p.m.

The ones I have. BBS RKs, I think.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/12/22 4:08 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

As a racer I gotta get rid of brake heat.  The more open the wheel the greater the heat radiation is. 

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
4/12/22 4:17 p.m.

Hey Dave,  I am a wheel guy like you. I look at them like art. I have sets of wheels that I have purchased brand new over the years and have never even had them mounted, preferring just to look at them.

rodknock
rodknock Reader
4/12/22 4:48 p.m.

I've always had a soft spot for Work's VS-XX. 

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/12/22 5:21 p.m.

Somebody say split-spokes?

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
4/12/22 5:54 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Oof. No thanks. Way too busy. BMW wheel styling peaked with the Style 37 (M-Parallel)... Like RPF1's, they're a timeless exercise in the beauty of simplicity that continues to look great almost anywhere they're used.

Keith Tanner
4/12/22 5:57 p.m.

In reply to Driven5 :

Normally I go for the clean and simple, but the 65 just works for me. I think they suit the car really well, more so than the pared down parallels. Some of that is probably association with the only car that ever wore the 65 :)

David S. Wallens
4/12/22 7:06 p.m.

In reply to Feedyurhed :

I admit, yes, I'm a wheel guy. I go back 20+ years with a friend who's president of a wheel company–a player in our scene. Several late-night FB message chats have, yes, discussed wheels. :)

David S. Wallens
4/12/22 7:30 p.m.

And speaking of split spokes, just snapped this a few minutes ago. 

davbro
davbro New Reader
4/12/22 7:41 p.m.

Something about the style 68s that I just love...I have lost count how many I own now.  Gonna try powdercoating a set...maybe gun metal

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/12/22 8:55 p.m.

The Kosei T1 was always a nice looking wheel.  

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/12/22 9:03 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

And speaking of split spokes, just snapped this a few minutes ago. 

I'm a big fan of Apex wheels, I have a number of them for my E46. :)

David S. Wallens
4/12/22 9:27 p.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

Looks terrific. What specs are you running? 

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/12/22 9:33 p.m.

I have always thought the tl-s rims were a fantastic OEM wheel. That said- after seeing the others posted I agree with Keith.  Those things are insane. Is they the M8? 

Another vote for Work VS-XX, especially with a gold, bronze, or grey center and a low offset. Even the step-lip version looks good, but the big flat lip just grabs me!

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
4/12/22 9:54 p.m.

I like the 949 Racing wheels. I am thinking about getting a set for the Miata.

Keith Tanner
4/12/22 10:05 p.m.

In reply to grover :

The BMW Style 65 was only used on the E39 M5. There are knockoffs of the 18x8 fronts. 

NOT A TA
NOT A TA UltraDork
4/12/22 10:41 p.m.

Rushforth Night Trains on my Firebird.

[URL=https://app.photobucket.com/u/NOTATA/a/ac949837-2452-4f6a-b3a7-1455f6a2f0b0/p/b306c2e6-f818-4b50-9191-8af8efe123af][/URL]

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
S1C7opWkmB16k7iCp4ygFAl8Pvu2YSbO0t9f2wJHRRyK24J406ujWIB5sAXo8bdZ