1 2 3
Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/28/18 12:35 p.m.

If you’re using 1/3 of your toolbox for sockets on their sides, the obvious answer is that you need a bigger toolbox.  

I have one drawer for each drive size sockets and one for each size ratchets/breakers/extensions.  1/4” is so small that’s all together.  That’s only 5 drawers, but i will admit to having a 60” cabinet with middle and top boxes and an additional 48” cabinet just for automotive tools.  That one has an empty drawer for future use

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
5/28/18 12:38 p.m.

Entropy is a universal constant. Battling entropy is to run against the natural flow of the universe. So much more liberating to just surf with the flow and save the time and mental aggravation.

Also, I note that organized people are kind of like religious believers and physical fitness advocates in that they often feel that is necessary to proselytize to the heathens like myself. Thanks but we get along just fine!

At least that is what I always told my Mom when she demanded that I clean up my room!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/28/18 12:49 p.m.

I'm moving so the entropy is high, but this is still pretty representative even with the chaos. Note the complete lack of use of toolbox space. When I need to go to the track, I just grab the appropriate rail(s). And yes, they are organized smallest to largest both on the rails and the rails themselves, with alternating metric/sae. . Some of the rails are off doing work right now. 

Might seem a little ...obsessive, but it's actually far easier to organize and maintain than a pile of stuff in a drawer. 

Most commonly used wrenches live in tool rolls, which have the sizes written on them and which hang on the wall. Quick to grab and transport and check for missing stuff. They're not on the wall in the new place yet.

Meanwhile, my desk at work hasn't had an exposed upper surface for years. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/28/18 2:03 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

One look at my house would prove my tools are about the ONLY things in my life that are somewhat organized.  

Everything else is overwhelming chaos. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/28/18 2:24 p.m.
Nick Comstock said:

I organize them by leaving loosely around or near whatever project I'm working on. The hard part of this type of system is remembering what I was working on when I had that 13mm...

Before I went on vacation I was walking through my house and then realized there was some sort of tool in every room of my house. I use the same system. laugh

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UltraDork
5/28/18 4:42 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

Should we do a live show on toolbox organization some night?

Yes please!

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/28/18 7:44 p.m.

I had to go to Summit Racing earlier today.

I blame this thread.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
5/28/18 10:50 p.m.
NOHOME said:

Not. At. All.

Toss them all in the top of the toolbox.

[unintelligible screaming]

Crackers
Crackers Dork
5/29/18 12:51 a.m.

I used to have custom sheet metal trays that would go in my cart as needed. 

Now space is at a premium so most of my stuff is at least 2 layers deep. Assuming you even have access to open the drawer said tools are stacked in. 

whenry
whenry Reader
5/29/18 6:45 a.m.

No slip liners in each drawer.  Standard in small tool box and metric in larger 12 drawer rolling tool cabinet.  Each size of drive has its own drawer and wrenches are spread between two drawers based upon type ie gear wrenches and tendancy to use.  Specialized tools have their own drawers ie tires, electrical, or whatever.  One of those times where I let my OCD control my actions and it does save time and frustration.

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
5/29/18 10:45 a.m.

In reply to freetors :

I have transitioned my methodology many times. 

Wonder Years: When I was beginning to figure car things out in my early 20s I focussed more on portable tool organization. So I used a lot of plastic sticks to hold all of my metric sockets. I would have a completely separate box for my US standard sizes as they would really only be used on non car things. The plastic sticks full of metric sockets would have a home base in a specific bag. 

Macgyver: Deep into autocross/RoadRacing/Rallycross. I had a proper tool box in the garage. I carried over my plastic sticks into the box. Then I transitioned into job packs. So at the track I grab the yellow bag for an alignment adjustment and tire changes, the red box for the serpentine belt replacement, blue box for brake work, etc. Those boxes had cut down plastic sticks as necessary to sort any sockets. So I transitioned my shop tool box to have cut out foam to hold my sockets. Organized by drive then hex size. Special tools were separated as one drawer per car. Bottom drawer was usually the general purpose or specialty tool pile like hammers, pullers, Oh and don't forget the vented chemical storage box made out of an old metal box I got somewhere.  Again all my cars were metric so all non metric stuff lived in a jumbled mess of a separate small box in the house. 

The Facts of Life: After some job relocations, getting married, and three kids I have mostly stepped into a world of just basic maintenance of my cars. Maybe a fun mod here or there. Also my tools are used about as much on bicycles and other things as they are on cars. So I have integrated a lot of US standard sizes into my much smaller tool box. I still use the plastic sticks and organize them such that all the 3/8 and 1/2 metric sockets in one drawer, 1/4 and special metric stuff in a second drawer, and finally all my US standard sizes in a third drawer.

So summary is don't feel like you have to be stuck in one mode try out one organization method. If you find you are constantly going into several drawers see if you can locate the most used items into a main drawer.  Change it up as needed based on your lifestyle.

ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual)
ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) Reader
5/29/18 1:03 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Next time please include a "trigger warning" when you're going to post a pic like that!

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
5/29/18 1:53 p.m.
ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) said:

In reply to NOHOME :

Next time please include a "trigger warning" when you're going to post a pic like that!

I seem to have no real issues getting stuff done. Can't see what all the fuss is about?

Pete

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
5/29/18 2:08 p.m.

This thread just caused me to realize that my new to me ironworker can punch holes in metal up to 2" in diameter and that i probably only have 30 sockets bigger than that. I can totally make my own socket organizer out of diamond tread aluminum. 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
5/29/18 3:14 p.m.

I really want the Hansen typ for my main box, but the box is too small (another issue all together) for them to fit in the drawers.  While setting up portable tool bags to live in the Jeep (because JEEP) I picked up 3 or 4 aluminum socket rails from Lowe's in different drive sizes. They're pretty secure and being double sided means they are short enough to pack well in canvas tanker bags that fit under the rear seats. I might just spring for a whole stack of them for my main box someday. Of course my shop generally looks like the photo Pete posted, so don't hold your breath.

boulder_dweeb
boulder_dweeb Reader
5/29/18 3:58 p.m.

Hey,

I use the Craftsman/HF socket rails. I have  8.

Metric socket rails have the handle painted blue.

We are (Now) a 2 Toyota family.

Anyone wanna buy some vintage Craftsman 1/2" drive sockets?

Rog

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/29/18 11:21 p.m.

I have all of my SAE sockets organized by size on rails- six points on one rail, twelve on the other, deep sockets together, etc. They almost never get used, so they stay organized.

Some of my metric sockets are on rails, others are in my tool bag on a different rail that gets used often: notably the 9, 10, 12, 14, 17 and 19mms. The "junkyard" bag stays more organized than my home bag, because I don't want to leave anything behind. 

If I was working on cars or other things every day, I'd probably be much more organized, since it would save time in the long run. 

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
5/30/18 12:36 a.m.

This thread has made me realise...

My socket organisation is simply "correct".

Some of you are savages, plain and simple. :P

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/30/18 4:30 a.m.
oldopelguy said:

This thread just caused me to realize that my new to me ironworker can punch holes in metal up to 2" in diameter and that i probably only have 30 sockets bigger than that. I can totally make my own socket organizer out of diamond tread aluminum. 

That isn't a new idea. Craftsman used to (maybe still does) sell a commercial version.  The problem is it is not a very flexible system.  Get a new socket, an extra or two, or whatever and it goes a bit pear shaped.  Plus, it offers little "project portability" when you want to take a selection of sockets from your box to where you are working on a project.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
5/30/18 7:33 a.m.
NOHOME said:
ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) said:

In reply to NOHOME :

I seem to have no real issues getting stuff done. Can't see what all the fuss is about?

Pete

You can also still cook and eat with a sink full of stinking dirty dishes. Doesn’t make it right!!

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/30/18 7:37 a.m.

I have the Hansen trays.  The only complaint I have is if I knock them ovr everything roll away.  I keep saying I should add some magnets to them but ever get around to it.  

pkingham
pkingham GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/30/18 7:41 p.m.

I’m another fan of the metal Craftsman rails. The socket clip can get loose, but a little tweaking with pliers or replacing the clip easily fixes it. 

Rather than using the top of the box (I’m too short to see up there) or a deep drawer, I use shallow drawers with the sockets in their sides.  Here’s the 3/8 and 1/2 drawer.  SAE on the left, metric on the right  

Here are the 1/4 and 1/2 deep drawers. 

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/30/18 8:05 p.m.

I've made a bunch of attempts, and it seems like something goes wrong, knocks the box open, or knocks the organizer on the floor, tips over the box, whatever. 

I'm currently planning on organizing everything: ratchet, socket, extension, into Harbor Freight ammo cans by drive size. It's sloppy, but resilient. 

freetors
freetors Reader
5/30/18 10:59 p.m.

I bought a bunch of harbor freight rails. Not sure if I like them. They were flimsier than what I was expecting and don't hold on to heavy sockets that will. I really like their plastic rails (and the similar ones at other stores) but for the number of sockets I have the cost would be astronomical. Like well over $100

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/31/18 2:14 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I'm moving so the entropy is high, but this is still pretty representative even with the chaos. Note the complete lack of use of toolbox space. When I need to go to the track, I just grab the appropriate rail(s). And yes, they are organized smallest to largest both on the rails and the rails themselves, with alternating metric/sae. . Some of the rails are off doing work right now. 

Might seem a little ...obsessive, but it's actually far easier to organize and maintain than a pile of stuff in a drawer. 

Most commonly used wrenches live in tool rolls, which have the sizes written on them and which hang on the wall. Quick to grab and transport and check for missing stuff. They're not on the wall in the new place yet.

Meanwhile, my desk at work hasn't had an exposed upper surface for years. 

I tried rails on those peghooks. Those infernal peghooks. Don't you find the hooks fall out and behind your bench every time you look at them funny?

I'd really intended to buy my Radio Shack's peg hooks and electronics drawers when they shuttered, but life got in the way. The peghooks you buy at the store mostly stink. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TkAXgw5YczrJuqKDLK9hZaORaqVPlyZvi54BDkd2t4GGEobn5rhjqlqo0b7u9VYx