1 2 3
logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/31/18 6:17 a.m.

I use a combo of Hansen trays, Harbor Freight trays, magnetic rails, metal rails, plastic rails, plastic bowls, and cardboard.  It was developed over years at the dealership, followed by combining the home tools in the drawer, organized by whatever method was cheap and easy to get as new sockets were added.  I prefer the trays for organizing but don't really have a preference for either brand.  But some sockets like the wobble impacts fit best on rails.  The Chumpcar sockets are organized with Harbor Freight trays and a single magnet tray for the oddball.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
5/31/18 6:21 p.m.

I picked up a set of 1/4" impact sockets today and another Hansen rack to accompany them. 

Opti
Opti HalfDork
6/1/18 1:13 p.m.

I like to stick mine in jfryjfry's starter......oh did you say sock...ets?!

CrookedRacer
CrookedRacer Reader
6/1/18 1:52 p.m.

These are all really nice arrays of tools (including NOHOME's fantastic pile), but what are some strategies for taking it on the road?

I have HF rails but they're all empty because the sockets don't seem to jump back onto their clips by themselves.
So my sockets are pretty much loose, but they take up three large shallow drawers.

1) All handles, extensions, adapters, and sockets with special tips like triple-square, torx, and allen
2) 1/4 and 3/8 sockets with metric mostly to the right and standard mostly to the left
3) 1/2 sockets with metric mostly to the right and standard mostly to the left

When I go to the track, I feel like I need to essentially empty my tool chest into various toolboxes and gear bags. And it takes me a while to put it all away when I get home.

I have an open pickup truck and an open trailer, so I can't just keep another complete set of tools in an enclosed trailer.

Any advice?

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/1/18 7:17 p.m.

In reply to CrookedRacer :

I keep thinking it'd be nice to buy an older work truck and turn it into a "toolbox." Maybe a Ranger with a metal cap and a slide out tray filled with roller boxes... I dunno. I've seen people working out of a utility body truck, and it seemed to be really effective and we'll organized.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RJSfskXCRjjNosQRoepmJpIg2XIsi52EJa5CMSzfoGWAfQ7cwouNBRibarcvpNE9