1 2 3 4
Storz
Storz Dork
12/27/13 3:28 p.m.

Not feel fast?

Had a free afternoon today so I went and test drove a 2011 Camaro SS, 6spd manual and I am honestly a little underwhelmed.

I was expecting a huge surge of speed like in a Corvette or other high powered sports car but it just never happened. Granted it sounded great.

Anyone else have similar experiences driving one?

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
12/27/13 3:31 p.m.

It's what, 400-500 lbs heavier than a similarly powered Mustang GT.......also with even bigger heavier wheels, etc?

My Mustang at ~3550ish with 420hp was a BLAST.

MA$$hole
MA$$hole HalfDork
12/27/13 3:33 p.m.

Size/Weight. Same reason Full-Size pickups sound fast with exhaust (at least to their owners) when leaving the bar. The Camaro is a big car. I personally have no interest in driving one because I feel I could get the same experience from a Silverado.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
12/27/13 3:36 p.m.

Because it weighs almost 2 tons?

Storz
Storz Dork
12/27/13 3:36 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: It's what, 400-500 lbs heavier than a similarly powered Mustang GT.......also with even bigger heavier wheels, etc? My Mustang at ~3550ish with 420hp was a BLAST.

What year mustang?

Storz
Storz Dork
12/27/13 3:37 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: Because it weighs almost 2 tons?

That and gearing I think kill the fun

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
12/27/13 3:42 p.m.
Storz wrote:
z31maniac wrote: It's what, 400-500 lbs heavier than a similarly powered Mustang GT.......also with even bigger heavier wheels, etc? My Mustang at ~3550ish with 420hp was a BLAST.
What year mustang?

2013 base GT with the Track Pack.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/27/13 4:13 p.m.

Because it's about two thousand pounds heavier than a car?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/27/13 4:15 p.m.

I bet 2000hp wouldn't move a city block real quick, either.

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
12/27/13 4:19 p.m.
Storz wrote: Not feel fast? Had a free afternoon today so I went and test drove a 2011 Camaro SS, 6spd manual and I am honestly a little underwhelmed. Anyone else have similar experiences driving one?

Absolutely. I posted the exact same thoughts about the same car in this forum before, in several threads actually.

I also posted that the 5.0 Mustang was underwhelming as far as the torque but that it was 'deceptively' fast because it didn't FEEL like it was accelerating as hard as it was.

I also posted that the 6spd v8 Challengers FEEL the most muscle-y even though they are slower than the other two. The power delivery just has more drama.

Over time i've come to appreciate how subjective factors can make up for 'deficits' in objective performance stats.

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous HalfDork
12/27/13 4:25 p.m.

It wouldn't surprise me if the computer curbs some of the power even with the T/C off.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/27/13 4:45 p.m.
hrdlydangerous wrote: It wouldn't surprise me if the computer curbs some of the power even with the T/C off.

Oh, absolutely it does. Notice how Vigo commented that the Challengers "feel" faster because of in increased drama?

Part of refinement is making the power delivery drama free.

If'n you don't like it, build a carbureted small block Chevy and drive that instead.

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
12/27/13 4:48 p.m.

When I tested a challenger SRT8 I felt the same way. Sure, it felt like it moved pretty quick, and handled its weight well in the twisties, but for over 400hp I was underwhelmed entirely.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/27/13 4:50 p.m.

My Dad drove an SS and a V6 back to back when they first came out and he preferred the V6. They have power and torque, but it's higher up in the RPM range, so it doesn't feel that impressive.

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
12/27/13 4:55 p.m.
Knurled wrote: Part of refinement is making the power delivery drama free.

That's the reason my dad preffers his older mustangs (newest is 2001 Bullitt) to the newer ones. My brother the ford salesmen brought a 2010 to show him half expecting a trade in, and my dad responded that it didn't feel like a mustang. He was unexcited. I think he said something like "It feels like it's trying to drive like my phaeton, only the phaeton is better at it. Mustangs should be exciting, not so smooth and quiet"

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
12/27/13 4:58 p.m.

Well, smooth and quiet a 2001 certainly is not.

Storz
Storz Dork
12/27/13 5:01 p.m.

What are some newer (08+ or so) engaging cars to drive? I like very visceral, connected feeling cars. My dad had a 96 LT4 Corvette back in 96 and it was a blast to drive. It's shortcomings in the chassis combined with big power output made it feel like you were driving a true sports car. My 87 Corvette and 91 Miata were much the same.

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
12/27/13 5:12 p.m.
Vigo wrote: Well, smooth and quiet a 2001 certainly is not.

Nor is the driving position optimal, the steering feel very great, or the leather high grade.

I don't think a newer car should feel cobbled together, but a little road feel and some engine noise would be greatly appreciated. Especially if it can be achieved with significant weight loss. Why would I want heavy sound deadening to cancel out the noise, and then the speakers or a tube to reintroduce it? Just less sound deadening and I'd be happy.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
12/27/13 5:36 p.m.
Storz wrote: What are some newer (08+ or so) engaging cars to drive?

MINI? BRZ/FRS? MX-5? From what I've read, the Abarth fits as well.

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
12/27/13 5:39 p.m.

The FR-S I tested out seemed pretty fun. The only miata I drove was a NC so it may not perfectly represent the new ones but it's still pretty fun.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon SuperDork
12/27/13 5:40 p.m.

I was surprised at how slow the challenger with the 6.2 was. I raced one in my old sr20 powered 240 (dyno'd 215whp) and put a couple car lengths on it. Then I went home and looked up how much it weighed O_o

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
12/27/13 5:49 p.m.

I never thought the Coyote felt "down" on torque.

I think it's more like the S2000, the top end hit is just so hard that by comparison the low-end feels lackluster.

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
12/27/13 6:02 p.m.

All you guys harping on weight as to why it isn't fast need to look at some numbers. Since when is 4.6 seconds, 13 second flat 1/4, and 160 mph top speed not fast? It may not "feel fast" but it is.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/27/13 6:08 p.m.
Cotton wrote: All you guys harping on weight as to why it isn't fast need to look at some numbers. Since when is 4.6 seconds, 13 second flat 1/4, and 160 mph top speed not fast? It may not "feel fast" but it is.

True. I think the original point was that it doesn't feel fast, though.

And weight will have a lot to do with that. Inertia and all that. A car half the weight with half the power will feel faster.

Storz
Storz Dork
12/27/13 6:10 p.m.
Cotton wrote: All you guys harping on weight as to why it isn't fast need to look at some numbers. Since when is 4.6 seconds, 13 second flat 1/4, and 160 mph top speed not fast? It may not "feel fast" but it is.

No doubt they are fast, go drive one and let me know if you think it feels fast, connected and visceral.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Hw2QAW0yc788J6GWU9TiqTEnMVeW8W1K1RV9uzP6f5Ka0VVWfjkKumDjH07iC4do