d_jabsd
d_jabsd GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/3/20 6:12 p.m.

I bought a used SR20 (GT2560) to install in my 94 Miata.  the wheel doesn't spin freely.  it spins with giving pressure, but i can't just flick it and have it spin until it stops.  is this normal, or should i rebuild?

spandak
spandak HalfDork
10/3/20 6:30 p.m.

If I remember on my last one it would spin freely but I don't think I was like a top. It wasn't a ball bearing so that makes sense. 
Probably worth a check. I paid a local shop less than $100 to replace the turbo seals and balance it. 

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
10/3/20 7:03 p.m.

In reply to d_jabsd :

Take a magic marker Mark one blade and the housing adjacent. Spin it and mark where it stops. Do it several times. Marking each spot. If you notice a pattern  the bearings need work. If it's random you're probably good to go. 

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/3/20 7:22 p.m.

How long since the turbo has been on a running engine? Could it just be total lack of lubrication and/or caked up oil in the cartridge?

Any shaft play?

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
10/4/20 1:44 p.m.

That's definitely not ideal.  Housing should be clean (inside), wheel should spin effortlessly, and there should be no shaft play.  Even my 23 year-old Holset HX meets these marks . . .

d_jabsd
10/4/20 6:07 p.m.
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) said:

How long since the turbo has been on a running engine? Could it just be total lack of lubrication and/or caked up oil in the cartridge?

Any shaft play?

no shaft play at all. no gritty /scraping sounds no binding at certain points to indicate a bent shaft. if i had to guess it hasn't been in a car in a while.  maybe i'll just pic up a rebuild kit and tear into it.  get everything cleaned up. 

d_jabsd
10/4/20 6:11 p.m.
rustomatic said:

That's definitely not ideal.  Housing should be clean (inside), wheel should spin effortlessly, and there should be no shaft play.  Even my 23 year-old Holset HX meets these marks . . .

it will spin, but only do a partial rotation.  it does look like there is oil on the turbine side.  i'm going to rebuild it to be safe.  

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/4/20 9:06 p.m.

What is peoples' definition of "no shaft play"?

Every turbo I have ever fondled had a decent amount of radial play, because there was no oil pressure to keep the journal bearings apart.  Having a LACK of play would seem to indicate a problem.

I always went by the rule of thumb that if you couldn't make the compressor wheel contact the housing, the turbo bearings weren't worn out.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
k9EE4VHnFDR16FSE14Q3kY9kWrR7xGLgHAZOZG0N1jNV9EAkXdjpvuLQSLRukIh3