stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/1/23 4:20 p.m.

I happened across this YouTube channel recently: https://www.youtube.com/@benbeames/videos  This guy has built his own replica of a 1960s Lotus Indy Car, along with his own replica of a Ford GT40.  Most of the work was done from scratch, including fabbing the aluminum monocoque tubs for each car.  At the moment he only has 1.44k subscribers, but the videos are well done, he's entertaining, and the cars are very impressive.  Check him out.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
6/1/23 5:06 p.m.

He says he makes bad life decisions.  Really?

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
6/1/23 8:45 p.m.

The two key elements are getting hold of the composite shell, which drives the entire layout, and the transaxle, where a proper one can be the most expensive part of the entire project. I've thought about it...

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
6/1/23 9:54 p.m.

I'm impressed with the skills some people have.  I'm just going to build something different.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/2/23 7:04 a.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

I met Ernie Adams some years ago at the big Back To The 50s car show in St. Paul, he's a nice guy.  He drove there from Arizona in his miniature Mercury.

pushrod36
pushrod36 Reader
6/2/23 8:36 a.m.

I got turned on to this guy recently.  My favorite part is how his son is constantly unimpressed.  

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
6/2/23 10:12 p.m.

I just watched this. His copy of Len Terry appears much cleaner than mine, jealous. I paid about $100. for mine off eBay when I restored the Len Terry designed McRae 15 years ago. Also concerned he doesn't mention glue, only rivets. The McRae was epoxied and with all the rivets drilled out it was still very hard to disassemble. 

benbeames
benbeames New Reader
6/8/23 9:23 a.m.

In reply to pushrod36 : 

https://youtu.be/tJZ_4JLiGME

GT40 Test Drives

For fans of my son roasting people. 

stroker
stroker PowerDork
11/26/23 10:42 p.m.

I just found this video on YT and it's almost exactly what I've been imagining as my project when I retire in a couple of years.  The difference would be a tube (instead of a monocoque) frame and using C4 suspension front and rear.  My idea was also to target a build cost of $10K and use it as a "proof of concept" in the hope other people would find the idea attractive enough to attempt builds of their own--in other words, run it up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes.   

If any of The Hive would seriously consider such an effort, please PM me.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DhAlnsvrA3oSMZK21zRuS0Qya72509noipaNxmusUymdYe3IB6vp8FtnPIAJgiGm