The Staff of Motorsport Marketing
The Staff of Motorsport Marketing Writer
10/25/21 1:08 p.m.

A defining feature of pro sports car racing back in the late ’90s: the mandated move to amber headlamps for GT cars. Why? So the sanctioning bodies could differentiate the classes at night. 

Chris Wadle simply thought it looked cool. 

Read the rest of the story

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/25/21 1:15 p.m.

That is one heck of a picture.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
10/25/21 4:27 p.m.

With so many cars having huge acrylic headlight bubbles now it only makes sense to put lamin-x on them to keep UV fogging at bay.  My Boxster has it and my Jag had it before.  Great product.

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/26/21 7:12 a.m.

In reply to Aaron_King :

thats from GranTurismo

msterbeau
msterbeau New Reader
10/26/21 3:16 p.m.

I love the yellow tinted lenses.  Now I need someone to make a product the allows my Kia to shoot flames like that Viper...  :-)

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/26/21 3:19 p.m.
nderwater said:

With so many cars having huge acrylic headlight bubbles now it only makes sense to put lamin-x on them to keep UV fogging at bay.  My Boxster has it and my Jag had it before.  Great product.

Other than the color- that's what this does??  I'll have to look into them for my Miata.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
10/26/21 4:09 p.m.

I have blue Lamin-X on my Miata. I typically have used the product on the WRX/STis that I have owned over the years. I like it.

westsidetalon
westsidetalon HalfDork
10/26/21 10:09 p.m.

I remember late 90s SCCA racing and you had to tape your headlights, so the glass or plastic wouldn't get all over the track if impacted. Many racers vinyled there headlights and rendered them useless, so the beauty of Lamin x is the fact it keeps the headlights funtional and cool looking too.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Reader
10/27/21 7:09 a.m.

Very cool, quick story on this company. 
I bought some of their yellow films for my MR2 fogs years ago...still not put them on, I need to. 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/27/21 8:10 a.m.

I have been meaning to by some for the Unicorn SAAB

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/23/21 10:15 a.m.

Will get some clear protective film for my 86's headlights, the film's not exactly cheap, but have you seen how much a modern car's headlights cost? surprise

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/23/21 1:54 p.m.

And even though I wrote the piece, seeing it here reminded me to place my order. Looks like they're having a sale now, too. 

David S. Wallens
1/5/22 10:33 a.m.

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/9/22 6:46 a.m.

So with my headlight lenses that are already awful again, I just need to re-polish and then apply and then no more issues?? If so, I'll be doing applying this to the minivan before they yellow

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/22 9:03 a.m.

Obviously check you local laws about changing the color of street car lights.  You don't need another reason for the police  to pull you over. 

On another note did the colored lights in endurance racing come out of the 24 hour of Le Mans where race cars/prototype's would have white lights while street cars that were racing would be yellow as required for street cars in France?  In other words was it a happy accident in France and the lighting regulations there what lead to different classes of cars having different colored headlights. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/9/22 9:41 a.m.

Love it over silly white fog lights!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/9/22 1:27 p.m.

Just tried to get my film installed at a wrap shop, didn't even try it myself because I'm not great at applying films in the first place, and then the instructions on the film mentioned stretching. They said the Lamin-X was absurdly thick (about 3x the thickest PPF aka "clear bra") and refused to tack onto the very curvy Toyobaru headlights, I ended up getting PPF installed over the headlights instead. Maybe something to watch out for when buying Lamin-X for lights with tight compound curves.

David S. Wallens
10/10/22 9:50 a.m.

The stuff does seem thick, but I didn't have any issues applying it to the Miata marker lights. I did remove the lamps before applying the film. I didn't use any heat. I just stretched the film into place. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
r5TZlsgdhddOUQb4IHNeRveyjdvjUGpNhkGtSb57T2qMKClg30sQXtGC8X9qyd3P