1 2 3 4
ronholm
ronholm New Reader
3/31/11 2:39 p.m.
John Brown wrote: With a turbo you will only need a simple "Boom Hole" (see the GRM Challenge Team Gutty car, along with others)

Like this?

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/31/11 3:13 p.m.

That looks like something from HalFast Mofosports.

A boom hole looks like this:

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/31/11 3:23 p.m.

Do they always have to come out infront of the rf wheel, even with the motor out back?

ronholm
ronholm New Reader
3/31/11 3:31 p.m.
Wally wrote: Do they always have to come out infront of the rf wheel, even with the motor out back?

No... You do those like this...

What I am trying to figure out is whether to head for one side or the other... Or both... Or relocate the license plate... Maybe even tone it down a bit and head towards the diffuser...

This ride will be street driven and legal or it doesn't count...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/31/11 4:05 p.m.

The flares look good, especially considering you just grafted a piece of scrap onto the side of the car

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/31/11 6:07 p.m.

Carroll's personal Shelby Charger had side pipes with square outlets molded into the side skirts (kind of like the Viper's, only the Viper was round).....

I think a large rectangular outlet where the gap in the rear bumper-ettes would be pretty cool. Ala Lamborghini. Or even something like a Zonda.

The problem with using the license plate location is that you'd have to move the plate someplace and there aren't many places left for it to go on the back of a Shelby Charger :)

fritzsch
fritzsch New Reader
3/31/11 9:37 p.m.

Whats a boomhole? is it basically just an open unrestricted exhaust from the turbo?

ronholm
ronholm HalfDork
4/14/11 4:48 p.m.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
4/14/11 8:35 p.m.

I gots ya boom hole here

Photobucket

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
4/14/11 9:14 p.m.
fritzsch wrote: Whats a boomhole? is it basically just an open unrestricted exhaust from the turbo?

Yup.

The first time I heard the term was in reference to the green Team Gutty CRX referenced above (painted with chalk board paint)

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/14/11 9:29 p.m.
JoeyM wrote:
fritzsch wrote: Whats a boomhole? is it basically just an open unrestricted exhaust from the turbo?
Yup. The first time I heard the term was in reference to the green Team Gutty CRX referenced above (painted with chalk board paint)

That's where I got it. I never heard of it before the Guttylupagus

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 Dork
4/14/11 10:36 p.m.

Woah. Hadn't checked in on this thread for a bit.

That car is going to be awesome!

ronholm
ronholm HalfDork
3/20/12 2:43 p.m.

is this going to work?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
3/20/12 3:06 p.m.

Man, I been wondering whatever happened to this thing?!?!

ronholm
ronholm Reader
3/20/12 3:21 p.m.

Work has been going well.. Kids.. Life.. Ect..

It has not been forgotten.

Winston
Winston Reader
3/20/12 4:05 p.m.

Awesome! I had not seen this the first time around due to my "car stuff" hiatus (a.k.a. burnout). The box flares are some of the best low-buck "guy in his garage" work I've seen, and the Maserati bits give me the warm fuzzies. The fact that this is all on an Shelby Dodge is just icing. Looking forward to seeing some more progress as it happens...

dankspeed
dankspeed Reader
3/20/12 4:07 p.m.

Looks great!

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi HalfDork
3/20/12 8:44 p.m.

This thread does not suck.

ronholm
ronholm Reader
3/20/12 9:55 p.m.
Winston wrote: due to my "car stuff" hiatus (a.k.a. burnout).

Thanks.. But tell me about it.. I can't make decisions.. Then summer hits and I go sailing.. to hot to work.. To cold to bother heating up the shop.. So I sit around dreaming and never get any real playing done..

At first when I laid the turbo bulge from the Charger back there with the two vents.. I really liked it.. But the more I look at it... I dunno.. Interestingly enough though.. Two GLH hoods would provide just enough sheetmetal to build that entire hatch section.. and then some.. and I happen to have three of them around.. :) And cut in the right way that decklid is flat in the cardboard... but using the hoods it would have a very nice compound curve... Minor thing.. but it wouldn't be flat.. and that is important..

So I keep staring at it while cleaning up and I just can't decide.. I could just as easy use two daytona turbo bulge hoods and put the vents in the tops of the daytona bulges...

But see.. Last night I had set this Dodge omni Glass up there just for kicks.. and I wasn't to sure about it.. But then when I saw it this morning I kinda liked it.. Not sure I liked it as much as the bulge/vent combo.. but still..

Just throwing the lack of thought process out there..

ronholm
ronholm Reader
3/20/12 10:04 p.m.

Oh.. and one more thing really holding me up...

(this is why I am playing with the decklid look instead of cutting and welding.. because.. well.. I wana chop chop chop.. and I am trying to resist the urge..

Stock..

2.5 chop

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi HalfDork
3/21/12 4:46 p.m.

Last picture looks like you melded a little scirocco in!

VonSmallhausen
VonSmallhausen GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/21/12 5:33 p.m.

I say chop chop chop

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy HalfDork
3/21/12 7:29 p.m.

Hmmmm, with that engine back there....

a) Why not graft in scoops into the "C" pillar to direct air down to your intercooler/air intakes.

b) what are you planning on doing to get the handling and braking balance figured out??

ronholm
ronholm Reader
3/21/12 11:22 p.m.

There will be scoops on the C pillar. One side will be engine intake.. the other.. I dunno.. whatever.. fresh air to keep the bay cool.. Tentative plan for the inter coolers is a 'twin setup with 2 air to air IC's cooled with air ducted from the side scoops..

Handing.. Yeah.. I will have plenty of adaptability/adjustability . I already changed K frame mounting to hopefully end up with just a touch of anti squat. It would have been a healthy amount of 'pro squat' based on the amount of "anti dive' The suspension setup had while FWD...

Getting the bump 'steerage' dialed in will be the biggest thing..

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/chapman-strut-geometry-questions/33024/page1/

Brake bias is still up in the air.. But I have all kinds of ways to go about that.. For now the car has knuckles from a 94 minivan.. Meaning big ole honking (heavy) 11 inch rotors and calipers.. This also changes the bolt pattern from 5 on 100mm to 5 on 118.3mm Or in American :) 5 on 4 1/2.....

So brake balance is going to depend on lots of things.. :)

Conquest351
Conquest351 SuperDork
3/21/13 9:29 a.m.

What's the latest on this thing? Haven't seen it in a year now. Wow... A year to the day. Weird...

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
26A3q0UpZAWeSO54seOSq0oiJwhc1QbQHMKrGTVZ9zKqk87D2LaLoMa6TzA6uiBe