1 2 3 ... 10
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/2/14 4:18 p.m.

I would be pissed if they repainted a car without my permission. I'd much rather have dull original paint than a repaint any day.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
4/2/14 4:25 p.m.

Probably more to the story than you know.

Either way, somebody is going to have to fix the paint, so if they say they're willing to do it, let them with some conditions. There's no way you're not going to get the value of the car from them, so just fix it and move on.

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
4/2/14 4:31 p.m.

Post up some pics of the paint. I had a car painted at a maaco once because I was assured by some car guy friends I trusted that it was one of the good ones....it wasn't. They had some cars in the parking lot that had turned out really well, so I though what the hell if it turns out like that I'll be happy. Mine didn't turn out nearly as well.

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/2/14 4:31 p.m.

Better Business Bureau

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/2/14 4:38 p.m.

If it was my car, they just bought themselves an '05 S2000. All that would make me happy is the cash or another S2000 of my choosing.

But its kind of like the transmission deal :) Some people thought Poop should be happy with a rebuilt one.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/2/14 4:55 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: I am trying to be reasonable, I am not demanding a better car, lower miles, etc. My opinion is give me the fair value of what the car was before you made the choice to paint it, and he can find another one, or not. Basically "you just bought a repainted S2000, I don't care what you do with it"

I think your expectations are reasonable. But your comment stating that now they want money from your son tells me that this is going to be a pain. I hope not.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/2/14 4:57 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: I am trying to be reasonable, I am not demanding a better car, lower miles, etc. My opinion is give me the fair value of what the car was before you made the choice to paint it, and he can find another one, or not. Basically "you just bought a repainted S2000, I don't care what you do with it" They just told him they expect him to pay $2000 for the repaint. They don't know that the car was measured a week before this happened by a high end detail shop that was going to buff it and ceramic coat it. I have a report from a 3rd party showing the measurement of factory paint and clear on every panel (how's that for luck?) That same shop just let me know there is now bondo in the driver rear quarter. The discussion Tomorrow should be interesting.

Lawsuit/call local news channel time!

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
4/2/14 4:59 p.m.
mr2peak wrote: Better Business Bureau

Does the BBB actually provide ANY service whatsoever?

That same shop just let me know there is now bondo in the driver rear quarter

Told you there was more to the story.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/2/14 5:05 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote:
mr2peak wrote: Better Business Bureau
Does the BBB actually provide ANY service whatsoever?

Only to businesses. My understanding is you pay a 'membership' as a business that lets you list yourself as being affiliated. There are obviously different levels. I believe they do ratings and feedback and such on their 'members'... but only companies who have paid them. I believe now that there are online reviews almost everywhere, the BBB is really just an extra advertising tool for companies.

1966stang
1966stang Reader
4/2/14 5:06 p.m.

Good luck, there is always more to the story! I personally would be upset.

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
4/2/14 5:14 p.m.

That sounds like a whole slew of things went very wrong. Yes, the shop diminished the value of the car by at least a couple thousand dollars. I don't think what you want is unreasonable, but also don't think you'll get that kind of offer without extraordinary pressure put on the shop.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/2/14 5:15 p.m.

So, they told you that they sent the car to be repainted without essentially your permission and now expect you to pay for it? I mean, they don't exactly have your signature on a paper that says "give the car a E36 M3 paint job".

If I were you I'd have a polite conversation with a trusted lawyer before I'd talk to them again to make sure I know exactly what their and your rights are. IANAL but I don't think they owe you the money for the car, but they might well owe you the money to have the paint brought back to the state it was in beforehand, and that might mean another repaint at a shop that is not Maaco.

That's going to be expensive because it's going to be a lot more work to undo a E36 M3 paint job than it is to not put a bad one on in the first place.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/2/14 5:23 p.m.

This would be a lot of fun for the average attorney.

I'd start with a private meeting with the manager. Push the paint report across the desk and ask him if he understands what it means.

Tell him your terms (which are very fair).

Then ask him if he'd rather settle with you, your attorney, or the local media.

Price of the car.

Price of the car plus legal fees and damages.

Price of the car plus legal fees, damages, and an enormous loss of business.

Give him 2 days to decide. I'm sure he'll see it your way.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Reader
4/2/14 5:25 p.m.

I'd check the whole chassis for damage. The damage to the rear quarter may have been caused by someone accidentally backing into the car, or it may have been done on a "test drive". Under no circumstances would I let Maaco put another coat of fail on the car. See if they will let you pick a respectable shop to do the respray.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
4/2/14 5:30 p.m.

Here's the way I'd put it. If I were to look at a number of '05 S2000's, and everything else being equal, that one would not be the one I would purchase if the paint is bad. In fact, it would have to be a LOT cheaper. How much cheaper is probably a personal choice and something you and a lawyer would need to decide. I would definitely talk to a lawyer if it were me. They either need to pony up for a professional re-spray, or purchase the car. Those would be my only choices for them. If nothing was in writing and they painted the car, the problem is far more theirs than yours.

t25torx
t25torx HalfDork
4/2/14 5:39 p.m.

I will never touch a repainted car. I grew up in a body shop and if I see the slightest overspray on some rubber trim, or a tape edge, I'm walking away from that car. I would rather have a sunburnt factory paint over an unknown respray job.

BoxheadTim
4/2/14 5:52 p.m.

I doubt it'll cost more to fix than the car is worth if you value it at $16k, but I'd guess that it'll be a the high end of your estimate to get it fixed properly. Depending on both the hidden damage (where would the bondo suddenly come from otherwise?) and the materials, and how much they have to strip back the paint to get to the good paint underneath.

Of course with it being a black car, it's also the worst possible color to fix properly. That's yet another good reason not to let a cut-price body shop anywhere near the car.

BoxheadTim
4/2/14 5:53 p.m.

In reply to racerdave600:

While I agree that it's more their problem than Datsun1500's, they presumably still have the car so just getting the car back can get ugly.

BoxheadTim
4/2/14 5:57 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: They just told him they expect him to pay $2000 for the repaint.

That makes it "not a favor".

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/2/14 6:03 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote:
Datsun1500 wrote: They just told him they expect him to pay $2000 for the repaint.

Is it even possible to pay as much as $2000 for a Maaco paint job?

BoxheadTim
4/2/14 6:08 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
BoxheadTim wrote:
Is it even possible to pay as much as $2000 for a Maaco paint job?

Should be possible with a 100% markup, surely? Or they had to do it twice and now want to get the money for both.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/2/14 6:14 p.m.

Maybe they only use Maaco when they screw up and are trying to hide it.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/2/14 6:17 p.m.

Maybe they only use Maaco when they're doing a piddly job like shaving emblems - and it all went south from there.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
4/2/14 6:18 p.m.

I would visit the Maaco. I am curious what story you get there. Why does Maaco think the car was repainted?
I am also curious who payed Maaco. Was it the shop or was it an employee? Maybe the employee who took the car for a joy-ride?

Wow, what a clusterberk. I am not sure how I would play this one. Too much pressure, too quick and the shop may just clam up and say no more.

My sympathies.

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/2/14 6:22 p.m.

Isn't putting unwanted paint on someone's personal property illegal in some way?? .... Oh yeah.... That's right. I think it's called vandalism.

1 2 3 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ffTfjLAwjNx6s1Auk6k2XkiazRAXXX3YFzIGZaZjnfAg60eRS4iioj5Ll1Ty04yb