1 2 3
AaronBalto
AaronBalto Reader
3/7/14 2:41 p.m.

I was just quoted just under $3k to do an Intermediate Shaft Bearing, Rear main seal, and clutch kit on an '00 Boxter S. That sounds like it's in the ballpark to me. I was wondering if anyone else had done this and what it cost.

I am NOT going to do this myself as I barely have time for my life as it exists without getting a crash course in Porsche motor guts.

I know that these cars are really not worth that much in the open market and that spending this kind of money may be unwise. The factors at work are that the car is relatively low miles (~55k) and huge sentimental value.

Last point: this is a discretionary repair. It hasn't blown up (yet). I am just looking to get this expensive service out of the way before something goes horribly, horribly wrong.

Thanks!

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
3/7/14 4:58 p.m.

Well... you could keep having the oil tested every change until is appears to be starting to go horribly wrong while saving your pennies for a 3.6L swap!

$3k is a lot of scratch for an unnecessary repair.

maj75
maj75 New Reader
3/7/14 4:59 p.m.

There is a direct oil feed kit which may work for you if your bearing is still good:

http://tunersmotorsports.com/?page_id=103

Still have to drop the trans, but less install labor and may prevent the issue from happening in the first place.

NMNA

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/7/14 6:36 p.m.

If you need a clutch, that price doesn't seem all that unreasonable.

I agree with GPS. I had my oil tested at the last change and all they found was oil in there. It was certainly worth the $25.

carbon
carbon HalfDork
3/7/14 6:37 p.m.

I'm with GPS. Swap that e36m3!

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/7/14 7:07 p.m.
Woody wrote: If you need a clutch, that price doesn't seem all that unreasonable. I agree with GPS. I had my oil tested at the last change and all they found was oil in there. It was certainly worth the $25.

Yes, my clutch was 1800-2100 $ if I remember correctly.

AaronBalto
AaronBalto Reader
3/7/14 8:44 p.m.

The car has ~55k miles, and it hasn't really been beaten on, so the clutch is most certainly still only 40-50% cooked. It could be deferred for a long time. My concern here is that at this mileage I am really on borrowed time as far as the int shaft bearing is concerned. I can wait and maybe lose the motor. I can do it now and not worry about it for the next decade. $300 a year for ten years--not so horrible. Spending $3k now on a $12k car seems a little nuts, but how am I going to feel about spending $5-7 when the motor really blows up? I'll be just another idiot surfing the boards asking dumb questions about how to swap an LSx into a Boxster!

So what I am really hearing here is that $3k isn't a bad price--the question being raised is whether to do this at all...

Woody
3/8/14 1:50 a.m.
AaronBalto wrote: So what I am really hearing here is that $3k isn't a bad price--the question being raised is whether to do this at all...

^This.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
3/8/14 6:05 a.m.

I don't know if that price is reasonable or not but I do know that performing preventative maintenance on an item that is known/prone to fail is smart. The car means something to you so it's worth it. Do you really want to do a motor swap later on. Of course not. Get it done, get it done right, be happy and it will be one less thing to worry about in life.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
3/8/14 9:11 a.m.

I bought a Boxster with it already done. Records show it was about 2500 for the IMS, a clutch, and a flywheel installation.

chaparral
chaparral HalfDork
3/8/14 9:30 a.m.

If it blows up, it's fifteen grand (or scrapping the car). Do it.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/8/14 10:04 a.m.

Yebbut, it's probably also fifteen grand to put a 3.6L engine into the Boxster

Woody
3/8/14 10:12 a.m.
chaparral wrote: If it blows up, it's fifteen grand (or scrapping the car). Do it.

No it's not.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
3/8/14 12:24 p.m.

I would just keep getting it tested at every oil change. If you really want the peace of mind go for it.

Woody
3/8/14 12:39 p.m.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

AaronBalto
AaronBalto Reader
3/8/14 12:57 p.m.

I appreciate both the fact that there are multiple opinions and the fact that there is helpful debate. Ordered the oil analysis kit--we'll see what's in there and make a decision. Either way, it doesn't hurt to find out...

AaronBalto
AaronBalto Reader
8/7/14 1:56 p.m.

I just got the report back from Blackstone. They say it's perfect. So Woody just saved me three large.

Oh, anybody wanna buy a Boxster S with a clean bill of health? I just bought an even dumber car and need the garage bay...

gearheadmb
gearheadmb New Reader
8/7/14 2:06 p.m.

I'm listening......

AaronBalto
AaronBalto Reader
8/7/14 2:07 p.m.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/4601819778.html

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
8/7/14 2:14 p.m.
Woody wrote:
chaparral wrote: If it blows up, it's fifteen grand (or scrapping the car). Do it.
No it's not.

I was talking with a guy is a Spec Boxster racer. Apparently having the IMS work done properly with a rebuild is more expensive than sourcing a junkyard engine (and still no guarantee), so many of them just blow up 2 or 3 yard fodder engines over the life of the car rather than worrying about the imminent demise of their IMS.

AaronBalto
AaronBalto Reader
8/7/14 2:18 p.m.

It seems that the failures are kind of random. My car has 55k miles and zero sign of iron in the oil. There are loads of 100k+ cars out there with no problem. And then you have a fair number that blow up with relatively low miles. No sense to it. So why spend all that cash on something that might not fail? I think the answer here is to test the oil at every oil change and worry about it when your iron readings start to spike.

And if it blows, it blows. Don't like it? What color Camry would you prefer?

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
8/7/14 2:37 p.m.
AaronBalto wrote: http://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/4601819778.html

Since you bought a Ferrari you are required by the bylaws of this site that I just made up to post pictures.

Woody
8/7/14 2:56 p.m.

Do I get a $3000 discount when you get tired of the Ferrari?

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/7/14 3:02 p.m.

http://renegadehybrids.com/

Don't worry about it happening, it's just an opportunity...

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/7/14 3:07 p.m.

Would love to see pics of the Ferrari (as suggested by wearymicrobe). Also, you should update your CL ad to mention that the oil test was perfect. Do you have it listed on Rennlist and Pelican as well?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hSYq0j3WzzJubGXeYWDuFFhODZFoIqiNnUEqyHPNx9Sgpqmxv8ep07fDTWjTiArw