1 2 3
Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/25/18 1:44 p.m.
Desy said:

I was just thinking. I know someone mentioned a wagon earlier, but a van could fit the bill as well, and often times sell a lot cheaper than the truck variants. Same frames, and power train options typically as the truck variants. At least on the American models.

I'm actually looking to ditch my F150-7700 in favor of a 3/4 ton van.  Same ability, but 12' of dry cargo space instead of 8' with the same overall length.  Still just as drivable and parkable, but more utility for my needs.

Bobcougarzillameister
Bobcougarzillameister MegaDork
1/25/18 1:52 p.m.
Curtis said:
SVreX said:

I had a Dakota. I hated that truck. 

Good lord, so did I.  I had one for two months and sold it.  It did nothing well.

my best friend owned one. 92 318 auto rcsb 2wd. That thing was slow, drank gas and ate power steering systems like they were gas. 3 racks, 2 p/s pumps and 2 pressure hoses. From a stop light, my 2.2 5-spd Sonoma was door to door with it until 60 when I would start to pull ahead.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/25/18 1:54 p.m.
SVreX said:

Which one? 

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/25/18 2:33 p.m.

Mine was an 03 with the V6; extended cab (which was smaller than my Sonoma), short bed (which was about the same size as my Sonoma).  It was nicely optioned.  Here is what I hated about it.

- power steering pump failed at 40k and then again at 50k
- the 4x4 system was horrible.  I don't know if it was a bias transfer case or what, but even the slightest bit of snow would completely immobilize it, even with good A/T tires.
- about every 20k you had to clean or replace the IAC valve
- constant P0456 "evap very small leak" codes despite replacing the entire system of hoses, the canister, and the purge solenoid
- more rattles and buzzes from the dashboard than I could count
- Horrid ergonomics that made you lean forward and reach down for radio and A/C controls (which almost always made the seat belt ratchet catch and made you pump your torso a few times before it would let you)
- world's worst stereo
- seat cloth that held on to every dog hair and piece of lint like velcro
- seats that made your tailbone cry for any more than about 100 miles
- Front suspension and/or axle design destroyed front tires
- Turning radius of a small cruise ship.

It was just so bulbous and big on the outside, but no bigger inside than a true compact truck.  I really detested it.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage HalfDork
2/3/18 3:06 p.m.

I think I could rock one of these...

frenchyd
frenchyd Dork
2/3/18 4:29 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Amen. I owned S10 trucks since they came out.  By 1997 I sat down and did the math. My little V6 engines worked their heart out and were really done at about 150,000 miles. After that maintenance got high and mileage never got to the 20 mpg on the stickers. 

I bought a 1/2 ton regular cab short box and it lasted me 20 years and 371,000 miles with almost no repairs. ( less than $1000 the whole 20 years) 

fuel mileage on that averaged about 19 mpg. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/3/18 5:45 p.m.
Stefan said:
SVreX said:

Which one? 

Don't remember.  Too traumatized.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/3/18 8:26 p.m.

In reply to AClockworkGarage :

It's a shame Jeremy is diagonally opposite the country from you, though his is a step-side. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
v0HGD99JB8IuZncXt3uH4nmApyruu0IEDhbVVLKxFrkmNCHbdXgAMQpmDT6ZJxVA