Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
4/7/22 3:24 p.m.
feature_image

Have you seen all the crazy bidding that’s going on with this 1993 Ford Saleen Mustang SC Spyder over on Bring a Trailer?

We actually wrote about this very car in our sister publication, Classic Motorsports, as part of a sampling of five unique Ford-powered cars.

At the time of writing, the highest bid is sitting at $185,000 with seven …

Read the rest of the story

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
4/8/22 6:01 a.m.

Pure craziness. I simply don't get it at all.

JAdams
JAdams Reader
4/8/22 8:33 a.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/8/22 8:44 a.m.

I like mustangs, but for that money I would want something with 12 cylinders made in Italy. 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/8/22 8:45 a.m.

Will you come drive my Camaro before I put it up for sale?

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/8/22 9:00 a.m.

People really be paying nice house money for a Fox Body? Y'all crazy.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
4/8/22 9:06 a.m.

I didn't really "get" Saleen fox bodies when they were new.  I seem to remember at their price, there was usually equivalent factory performance from other cars.  They were a car for someone who had to have a Mustang, but wanted it to be faster than stock, regardless of the what they had to pay.  $185K (price as of this writing) just seems nuts, but all it takes is a couple of people who really want it.

Error404
Error404 HalfDork
4/8/22 9:21 a.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:

People really be paying nice house money for a Fox Body? Y'all crazy.

In this neck of the woods that gets you a foreclosed fixer upper with the crime scene tape still up. 

Still too much for a car but there's a lot of money flying around all slapdash right now. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
4/8/22 9:28 a.m.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/8/22 12:43 p.m.

Craig has often talked how that car was a keeper, but yesterday I saw his FB post about finally selling it. And, um, yeah, that escalated quickly. 

Old_Town
Old_Town Reader
4/8/22 1:24 p.m.

Do we know the bidders? Home renovations are booming these days, aren't they? 

David S. Wallens
4/8/22 1:29 p.m.

Craig, the seller, also does guitars–like, with some A-list customers. 

te72
te72 Reader
4/9/22 12:08 a.m.

...for a Fox body.

Meanwhile, you could probably entertain the idea of owning one of Iacocca's or Shelby's personal cars for that money.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/9/22 12:30 a.m.

Welp, that might be another model of car that's reached unobtainable. 

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
4/9/22 10:42 a.m.

It's amazing to see Fox Mustangs bringing this kind of money.

A friend had an '89 Saleen 'Vert with a Paxton blower back in the day.  Saleens were cool, but really didn't offer a performance advantage over what you could build for a lot less money.  Basically just a suspension kit, bigger brakes, seats and a body kit in the standard package.  The blowers started to come along as an option ~1992, IIRC.  The Saleen 'Vert did look a lot better than the factory GT 'Vert, IMHO.

I bought a lot of take-off front rotors from Saleen when they were selling that stuff out of their shop... my drag '89 LX went through them pretty quickly.  cheeky

David S. Wallens
4/12/22 12:34 p.m.

Price is now north of $200,000.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/12/22 10:48 p.m.

Insane. I was 13 in 1993 and I thought fox bodies were hideous even then. Esprit Turbos on the other hand....

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/13/22 8:29 a.m.

huh

That's unexpected. It's not even that special. Is this just a bidding war? Money laundering?

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/13/22 9:08 a.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

Yeah. When I see stuff like this I wonder if some "collector" cars are being used for money laundering in the way art has been used in the past. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/29/business/art-money-laundering-sanctions-senate/index.html

Saleen mustangs are the bored apes of collector cars. Prove me wrong.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
4/13/22 9:32 a.m.
tuna55 said:

That's unexpected. It's not even that special. 

Apparently it's 1 of 3 supercharged Saleen convertibles made, so if you collect Fox Mustangs it might just be special.  And auction prices over the last few years have shown that there are some serious Fox collectors out there with serious money.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
u7NUqYCWwOStWdZ5ygJ9AZ619XDHrXHljUREeP4ltaU49YBO2364r3kI6AqdHbyB