1 2 3 4
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/4/23 9:30 a.m.
feature_image

If you answered “about $50,000” you’d be right on the money.

Acura just announced that the 2024 Acura Integra Type S will go on sale at dealerships later next month with an MSRP of $50,800. (Can’t wait that long? Acura will be opening up “limited reservations” at Acura.com/Integra on May 11 starting at 10:00 p.m. PT.)

[2024 Acura Integra …

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/4/23 9:30 a.m.

Also worth noting? The Hyundai Elantra N starts at $32,900. (Or $34,400 if you want the dual-clutch.)

Edit:

Didn't want to forget about the VW Golf R, which starts at $44,740.

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/4/23 9:59 a.m.

Nope.  And I work at an Acura dealer.

Caprigrip
Caprigrip Reader
5/4/23 10:26 a.m.

Without markups it would be a very worthy consideration.   

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
5/4/23 10:45 a.m.

lol

Powar
Powar UltraDork
5/4/23 11:49 a.m.
Colin Wood said:

Also worth noting? The Hyundai Elantra N starts at $32,900. (Or $34,400 if you want the dual-clutch.)

This is the answer. The EN is an amazing machine and has a superior warranty.

calteg
calteg SuperDork
5/4/23 12:47 p.m.

I'm stuck in the 1990's. Civics are $20k. Integras are $28k. 

IKR
IKR New Reader
5/4/23 12:48 p.m.

Doing a quick check online i wanted to see how much an original Type R i saw on a dealer lot back in the day costs in today's dollars. from the web assuming $1 in 1999 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $1.81 today, an increase of $0.81 over 24 years. The particular example I saw (~$26K) would be around $47K, so less than the current model, but in the same ball park. I sat in the new Integra S and while I didn't drive it I'm sure it's a great car. My personal issue is I viewed the original Type R as a one of a kind, generation special car. I feel there are currently a few hot hatches/sport compacts that compete with the current Type R as alternatives. For me, at that price I don't see myself seeking one out.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/4/23 2:56 p.m.

If I needed a vehicle like that, it would definitely be in consideration. 

Blackhalo
Blackhalo GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/4/23 3:39 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

Edit:

Didn't want to forget about the VW Golf R, which starts at $44,740.

I'd be all over the Elantra if they weren't so damn ugly. And I'm someone who doesn't nitpick aesthetics on cars... 

But I'm not sure they could make it any less attractive. It's Pontiac Aztec, PT Cruisers level of ugly for me.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
5/4/23 3:40 p.m.
z31maniac said:

I'm curious how you would estabilish this as a need.  

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/4/23 3:54 p.m.

If they paid me enough to cover taxes and registration I'd take it and sell it to a fanboi. Other than that? No thanks. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
5/4/23 4:58 p.m.

I love the car - I would love to own one but at MSRP and taxes/title I'm pushing $60,000. 

I'd rather buy a truck as I have plans to wander around Canada then up to Alaska and back.  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/4/23 6:16 p.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:
z31maniac said:

I'm curious how you would estabilish this as a need.  

Like if I had kids or something of that nature, where having a 4 door would be easier. 

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/4/23 7:37 p.m.

For that kind of jack, VW would be selling me a Golf R.  

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/4/23 8:23 p.m.

Since I still haven't been able to buy a new Civic Si yet, I went on the Acura website today to see what it would cost to get an Integra with the same engine and transmission. The six speed is only available on the A-Spec, so that's an immediate bump of five grand over the base Integra, just to get away from the CVT.

I can't even justify the added cost of an A-Spec over a Civic Si, so forget about the Type S. 

I absolutely love Honda Civics, but there's no way that I'm spending fifty grand on an upmarket Civic.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/4/23 9:55 p.m.

At Step 1 of Build and Price, I was already shaking my head. And this isn't even a Type S.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/4/23 10:02 p.m.

Car prices are crazy. The this really nice civic is about $20k heavy IMO. 

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/5/23 12:54 a.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

Wait wait wait...

"Not CVT" is $5k?

That is somehow twice as severe as my incredulity at the idea of this being a $50k car, which was already pronounced.

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/5/23 4:42 p.m.

Yea, Acura decided to only make the manual transmission available in the highest trim level Integra (before the Type S came out).  I think Mazda might do something similar with the 3, but could be mistaken.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/5/23 4:52 p.m.

In reply to einy (Forum Supporter) :

Probably economy of scale - they know they'll sell a lot more CVT/Auto examples than manual versions, so those manual examples need to cost more to account for the added engineering and certification costs. 

I'm in the same boat as z31maniac. I simply don't need a car like this, regardless of the price. I can barely justify my R53 MINI which essentially occupies the same usage of being an occasionally driven toy (along with my fleet of variably operational Triumphs).  Although the R53 has the added benefit of being eligible for less expensive classic car insurance. 

calteg
calteg SuperDork
5/5/23 4:54 p.m.
Jesse Ransom said:

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

Wait wait wait...

"Not CVT" is $5k?

That is somehow twice as severe as my incredulity at the idea of this being a $50k car, which was already pronounced.

That isn't really surprising if you think about the economics. As the number of stick shift drivers dwindles, it will cost more and more to offer that as an option. Already happened with the Supra

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
5/5/23 5:23 p.m.

I could see the case for an "adult" version of the Civic Type R back when the CTR looked like a boy racer's anime wet dream. Now that the CTR is more sedately styled, I'm not sure what the upgrade to the Integra actually gets you.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/5/23 6:04 p.m.

Also worth noting: a Model 3 Performance is $53,240, there are no dealer pricing games and you get $7500 back on your taxes.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
5/5/23 7:27 p.m.

What does this Integra do that the CTR doesn't?  As far as I can tell, that extra $10k just buys you a different badge.  For $50k I'll buy a lightly used Audi RS3 instead...

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AaoQ1fGNfYidcexeOj0NOR0TX6BIMeZl4YRtx2YOalajoD1hOORO26mjexSPk9rd