chandler
chandler PowerDork
7/11/20 3:25 p.m.

BBS? Never again!

flat face anything, any day.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/11/20 7:26 p.m.

Love/hate of white wheels is inversely proportional to the number of spokes.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
7/11/20 7:49 p.m.

I don't keep mine very clean but I like them

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
7/11/20 7:52 p.m.

the rears with drum brakes stay cleaner

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
7/11/20 9:29 p.m.

quite a bit cleaner here power washed everything before replacing the springs

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
7/12/20 6:38 a.m.

They are a pain. Literally one day of driving and they are gray. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/12/20 7:48 a.m.

White wheels are easier to clean because you don't miss any spots.

There is also a level of cred with how much brake dust you have on your wheels, anyway.  High brake dust levels on a clean car suggests that you use your brakes heavy and often.  It's sort of complementary to if your tires wear in the middle or the sides on a sport bike.

Anyway, rally cars generally have white wheels because they look utiliarianly badass, that's enough for me.

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
7/12/20 7:54 a.m.

Funny this topic came up, I just painted my extra set for the Cayenne white. I love the way they look but after the first drive I knew it was a mistake. I don't think I am the type of person that wants to clean my wheels every time I drive. 

I might do this to them for the fun of it before repainting them.

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
7/12/20 8:13 a.m.

I'm planning to paint the stock 15" alloys on my C900 white. They're my snow tire wheels (and rallyx, if I ever find a venue around here), and I'm hardly concerned about the cleanliness of them in the best of circumstances.

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/12/20 8:24 a.m.
OjaiM5 said:I might do this to them for the fun of it before repainting them.

When I was in junior high, I had a pair of Converse All-Stars that were spackle-painted like that.  They were all-white including the grommets, and had a bunch of spackling on them.  People I went to school with said "Why did you do that to your shoes?"  My mom said "I can't believe I am spending $30 on shoes."  Young Pete was thrilled regardless.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
7/12/20 9:51 a.m.

I love it! Those look amazing, imho. I'd put a set of OZ white rallys on if that was my car, but those five spokes look good.

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
7/12/20 9:57 a.m.

I'm sure this rides terrible but sure looks cool.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
7/12/20 10:04 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
OjaiM5 said:I might do this to them for the fun of it before repainting them.

When I was in junior high, I had a pair of Converse All-Stars that were spackle-painted like that.  They were all-white including the grommets, and had a bunch of spackling on them.  People I went to school with said "Why did you do that to your shoes?"  My mom said "I can't believe I am spending $30 on shoes."  Young Pete was thrilled regardless.

My daughter has the splatter All Stars, they were released last summer. She has some with unicorns and rainbows as well? Paint a set of wheels like that while we are at it?

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
7/12/20 10:07 a.m.

eff white wheels.........whatya get for the 'V' ?..........wink

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
7/12/20 7:34 p.m.
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) said:

eff white wheels.........whatya get for the 'V' ?..........wink

More than you payed! <nod> cheeky

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
7/12/20 8:07 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel again :

NOT and yu now it BRAHEEN!!!

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/12/20 9:04 p.m.

I have been tempted to go white on my Red with white striping and mirrors Abarth

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/13/20 8:27 a.m.

I ran white K1s on my Miata and would do it again. To clean them, though, today I'd just hit them with some quick detailer. Why break out the bucket?

aw614
aw614 Reader
7/13/20 8:47 a.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

I never liked them until I had a set, now I think they look good. I'd hate them on a daily, though.

I ended up selling my white 15x7s and kept my refinished gunmetal/grey SSRs.Got tired of cleaning them and also dealing with how easy they stained..and I really wanted 15x8s for my autocross/track wheels. 

IMG_8465 by Philip Petrie, on Flickr

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/13/20 8:54 a.m.

Rally cars run white wheels because it's easier to inspect for cracks. I've had a bunch of white wheels.

Here's what they look like after a week-long rally using the world's most abrasive brake pad.

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/13/20 9:10 a.m.
chandler said:

My daughter has the splatter All Stars, they were released last summer. 

So every thirty years? smiley

Relevant to thread, I've noticed that the wheels on my manual transmission cars never get dirty.  I guess it's just too hard to get the brakes hot and dusty when you can never brake very hard.

xflowgolf (Forum Supporter)
xflowgolf (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
7/13/20 10:41 a.m.

I LOVE white wheels.  I actually just bought a set, that I haven't mounted yet.  I am going to give a wheel coating/sealant a try to see if they shake up to the claims of making cleanup that much easier.  

Some detailer aquaintenance guys recommended Gyeon Q2 Rim which is like a two step coating product that's high heat capable.  

I've never messed with any ceramic coating type products before but we'll see how it works out.  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/13/20 10:50 a.m.

My 6ULs (the last ones in my photos) are shot with normal automotive paint and clearcoat. I obviously don't clean them often (I have other things to do in my life than clean cars) but they stay reasonably shiny. I painted them in August 2011.

I also tried the usual rattlecan wheel stuff from NAPA and after one track day, they were uncleanable. So I stripped them down and did the real paint. Which was actually easier and faster to do.

Hooptie_Josh (Forum Supporter)
Hooptie_Josh (Forum Supporter) New Reader
7/13/20 3:04 p.m.

My first set of white wheels, but definitely dig the look.  Always on the lookout for more options now.

Upkeep isn't bad, as long as you don't care how dirty they get

I'd be sick of them by the end of the first time trial.  

Probably why I run bronze wheels. This is after two days of flogging it at CMP and destroying a set of pads.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iCppPJIkIBMFfXARtW3YwGPqe9DKgShUlJeEXdzzkKa0Wdfp0F8eZeKSHL2bW1qE