ross2004
ross2004 New Reader
4/28/14 9:54 a.m.

Asking for a friend: we've got a track day coming up soon and he's going to drive his mom's E46 convertible. He needs to pass the broomstick test with the rear roll-over bars in the up position. I'm seeing a lot of stuff on the internet about how to rest them, but not much in the way of getting them up without the BMW diagnostics tool. Has anyone done this? Thanks.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/28/14 10:11 a.m.

Roll it over?

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose HalfDork
4/28/14 10:12 a.m.

Quick google search strongly implied that if you go over, say, a hump in the road at pace they'll deploy.
Fool the car into doing your bidding.

"Spirited Driving"

NONACK
NONACK Reader
4/28/14 10:16 a.m.

NONACK
NONACK Reader
4/28/14 10:44 a.m.

In all seriousness though:

Sensor location a few posts in

Maybe unplug the sensor and see if the failure mode is to pop the bars up? Or give it a slap?

edizzle89
edizzle89 Reader
4/28/14 12:10 p.m.

i didnt even know this was a thing, youtube has showed me that is pretty sweet. as far as getting them to come up maybe unbolt the sensor and shake it around?

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose HalfDork
4/28/14 12:27 p.m.

+1 for messing with the sensor.

Typical automotive problem, you can only get it to do what you want by accident.
(er, possibly literally in this case)

ross2004
ross2004 New Reader
4/28/14 12:27 p.m.
edizzle89 wrote: i didnt even know this was a thing, youtube has showed me that is pretty sweet. as far as getting them to come up maybe unbolt the sensor and shake it around?

That's what I was thinking, I also read something about a button you can press with a small punch on whatever module it is that controls it, but nothing conclusive.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/28/14 12:49 p.m.

Found this:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=765533

They can also be manually triggered by removing the seatback and depressing a button with a punch tool.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OZBuhYgbMnYMLDLshXtt7uvAjkMyULoMjKqR30Mz7MEOFGcf1sqLCLNThq6ecvuB