JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
3/5/20 8:59 a.m.

One of our favorite things about driving our Formula 500 single-seater on an autocross course is the quick, direct steering. But there’s more to the equation of going fast around the cones in an open-wheel car: Driver comfort and proper leverage on the controls are serious variables, too.

On a road course, slow hands and small control inputs keep the …

Read the rest of the story

Bob Moore
Bob Moore GRM+ Member
3/5/20 12:45 p.m.

I'm confused between the description of "raising" of the steering wheel and the image of the lower steering shaft showing the shaft apparently u-jointed to allow it to be dropped (pointed downward from the steeply-upward angle of the rack input shaft). My first question was going to be why not rotate the rack in its mounts, but it's a little more complicated down there. Anyway, food for thought on a good topic. Thanks.

fe1rx
fe1rx New Reader
3/7/20 12:10 p.m.

U-joints should be installed in pairs with the two joints installed 90° out of phase, unless the angle change between shafts is really small, in which case one joint is ok.  Assuming the deflection angle of the two joints is the same, the two joints cancel each other's rotational speed error and the sum of the joints becomes constant velocity.  The tradeoffs are the free play introduced by 2 joints instead of 1 vs. the rotation speed error.

Anyway, my main point is that when mentioning two U-joints, it is important to remember to install them 90° out of phase.  

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/10/21 8:05 p.m.

The steering in my Morris Minor Challenge car.  I was told that it needs some "sorting out." 

That's a pretty sharp bend coming from the bulkhead. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iV5ILP0GouJ0KnQ2BR0aWkNiHKWqCpCwiKzchxG1p10JZ2En7XradIBgLVJIcIgD