David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/15/22 4:49 p.m.
feature_image

Our Miata isn’t the most weather-tight car out there. We’re pretty sure it’s still running the original top.

For those rare occasions when it has to overnight outside–say, while we’re on the road–we wanted a cover. And we wanted a good one, too.

We know every car cover comes with compromises, so we listed our priorities before walking into this …

Read the rest of the story

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/15/22 10:11 p.m.

I have the StormProof one from CoverKing (so creative in their company names lol).

My Porsche lives outside under the cover and it's held up great for 4 years full-time outdoors (including winter/snow). I especially liked that when I ordered, they asked me for any non-stock details on the car (it's a 924S, but it has the larger 944 Turbo spoiler on it) and they made the cover to fit the larger spoiler for no extra charge. It's literally a perfect fit. 

Only downside is that it was originally black but has now faded a good bit.

I know this is a plug for Covercraft in your article, but I'll also suggest CoverKing as a quality alternative with good customer service. 

David S. Wallens
3/15/22 10:21 p.m.

Good point–when doing a custom cover, you can deal with any mods or whatnot. My 911 cover was customized to accommodate the ducktail. Fits perfectly. 

I actually worked for a Covercraft WD back before GRM–so, back when all of our favorite cars were new. I've had a few covers over the year, and I have watched the technology progress. These new fabrics are so light and shed water so easily. And then then easily roll up. 

David S. Wallens
3/15/22 10:25 p.m.

So, I have my 1992 Automod catalog here. That's where I worked. 

Back then, a custom cover for a Miata-sized car in a lightweight, weather-poof fabric retailed for $197. In today’s dollars, that $398.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/15/22 10:40 p.m.

I have a Covercraft Weathershield HD, three years of outdoor use in the Central Florida sun and rain. The seams had started to unravel this winter, but the Mrs redid them. I'd buy it again.

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/16/22 12:15 a.m.

My dream car sat outside for 30 years after becoming a young father and moving to a place with no garage (how much do diapers cost?). I would buy a car cover every 3 years or so and cover that with a poly tarp every year. For a while.., but eventually gave up. My pride and joy turned from this to that. If only I had built a box for it out of OSB sheathing when it was $6 per sheet.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/16/22 12:46 a.m.

HP has been my go-to for a couple of decades. Far, far, far superior to the "quilted" fabrics that are basically Kleenex. I've only had one fail and that took several years of constant exposure to high altitude sun. 

David S. Wallens
3/18/22 10:07 p.m.

Welp, it's raining right now, so some pics. 

3/18/22 10:34 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

HP has been my go-to for a couple of decades. Far, far, far superior to the "quilted" fabrics that are basically Kleenex. I've only had one fail and that took several years of constant exposure to high altitude sun. 

Mine might be the HP, since Keith's recommendation sealed the choice. It's been good. 

David S. Wallens
3/21/22 9:52 a.m.

So in the morning, what do you do with a wet car cover? I rolled it up and put it back in the bag. Time to get going. 

When I got home later that day, the cover was, of course, very wet.

Put it back on the car so it could air out, and maybe 15 or 20 minutes later it was totally dry–like, bone dry. 

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/7/22 6:48 p.m.

I bought a Covercraft 5-Layer Softback All Climate Car Cover in June. It's two months old and it's started to shed tiny fibers all over my Cayman. CC has asked me if I'd like to exchange it under warranty. Is the "HP" Keith referred to above the Weathershield HP? It's about 50% more, but it looks like a more durable cover.

9/7/22 7:58 p.m.

My Weathershield HP held up pretty well in the Florida sun, but was falling apart by the three year mark. I have a request for a warranty evaluation pending. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/7/22 8:55 p.m.
CAinCA said:

I bought a Covercraft 5-Layer Softback All Climate Car Cover in June. It's two months old and it's started to shed tiny fibers all over my Cayman. CC has asked me if I'd like to exchange it under warranty. Is the "HP" Keith referred to above the Weathershield HP? It's about 50% more, but it looks like a more durable cover.

It is.

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/8/22 12:57 a.m.

Thanks Keith. 

BTW: is it just me or is the article above not available?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7nEkwOE859gie8lsOkPL71xzgYP5QhEmQQ0i4rltVCXc5Kklm32i1fKtHK9jpYOF