JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
9/29/22 8:00 a.m.
feature_image

Having stripped the engine compartment of our carbecued 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo in preparation for its forthcoming V6 swap, we could finally take stock of the extent of the fire damage and how it would affect our 2GR-FE install.

[How to react when your car catches fire]

The good news: It’s not too bad once you get things cleaned …

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
10/5/22 9:59 a.m.

Not something I ever hope I have to do, but it's good to have an understanding of how to clean up after a car fire.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/5/22 11:06 a.m.

And a helpful article from our friends over at Classic Motorsports: Picking the right fire extinguisher for your classic.

ralph63
ralph63 New Reader
10/5/22 1:26 p.m.

my preference is grey in order to show any leaks.  Course that means the leaks show......

edmagoo
edmagoo New Reader
10/5/22 3:23 p.m.

When talking about PPE, I also like to include earplugs. When sandblasting, the sand gets everywhere and getting sand out of your ears is inconvenient. Soda should wash out easier but I would rather not even have to worry about it.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
10/5/22 4:25 p.m.
edmagoo said:

When talking about PPE, I also like to include earplugs. When sandblasting, the sand gets everywhere and getting sand out of your ears is inconvenient. Soda should wash out easier but I would rather not even have to worry about it.

Great tip. One of the best and worst things about the baking soda is it explodes when it hits the surface so it turns into a very fine powder. About the consistency of corn starch. So the good news is it doesn't tear you all up when it gets in your personal crevices, but the bad news is the dust is pretty fine and goes LOTS of places that heavier glass bead doesn't go. It's definitely an outside activity, or an inside activity with some serious dust control.

te72
te72 HalfDork
10/9/22 3:38 p.m.

The missus works in operations at a plant that packages soda ash, I will have to show her a fun new idea for what we can use her products for. Thanks for sharing!

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/9/22 5:17 p.m.
edmagoo said:

Wouldn't over the ear hearing protection be even cleaner?  

te72
te72 HalfDork
10/15/22 2:02 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

Why not both?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Jjk1h1X3xmYN1O3mf3me86n5jCHEdf0xInzSqocumrndlVISbBQqAwSyqwD6wQNG