Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
2/28/18 10:17 a.m.

Like stories like this? You’ll see every article as soon as it's published by reading the print edition of Grassroots Motorsports. Subscribe now.

Motorsports is all about doing well on race day, whether that means winning the big race or simply finishing better than expected. But achieving those results on a consistent basis requires homework: The driver must have …

Read the rest of the story

hunter47
hunter47 New Reader
5/28/21 9:36 a.m.

I like this article, but what about autocross testing? How my region runs it is a practice day (limited runs in a similar format to competition day) on Saturday and competition day on Sunday. We also get a large group of people coming out, so runs are limited and we do not have access to a skidpad. It's difficult to do any sort of usable testing given that you are only given a limited amount of runs even on practice day.

This would definitely work for something like an HPDE where you get 20 minute lapping sessions, and one of the local organizers gives you 1.5 hours of open pit run where it's 1.5 hours of pure lapping, get on and off whenever you want. But as far as it goes for autocross, at least how it's run in my region, it's nearly impossible to get a good test session out of it without missing runs. 

How would I mitigate this? 

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/7/21 11:22 a.m.

B) Don't use a jack stand to support vehicle

The article is great.  The pictures showing bad practices, not so much.

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
11/7/21 11:43 a.m.
noddaz said:

B) Don't use a jack stand to support vehicle

The article is great.  The pictures showing bad practices, not so much.

If you're just changing wheels I don't see the problem. Obviously you don't crawl under the car, and I'm the super cautious type who throws the wheels under the car with the jacks as well as the extended jack (if there's room) while I'm under it for any reason... but if I'm just rotating or changing wheels, no need for stands.

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
2/16/22 9:30 a.m.
hunter47 said:

I like this article, but what about autocross testing? How my region runs it is a practice day (limited runs in a similar format to competition day) on Saturday and competition day on Sunday. We also get a large group of people coming out, so runs are limited and we do not have access to a skidpad. It's difficult to do any sort of usable testing given that you are only given a limited amount of runs even on practice day.

This would definitely work for something like an HPDE where you get 20 minute lapping sessions, and one of the local organizers gives you 1.5 hours of open pit run where it's 1.5 hours of pure lapping, get on and off whenever you want. But as far as it goes for autocross, at least how it's run in my region, it's nearly impossible to get a good test session out of it without missing runs. 

How would I mitigate this? 

Thats a great question: how does this work when you can't book a venue for closed course testing and you have to fit it into existing events?

One other wildcard, with Rallycross there are even more uncontrolled variables like changing course conditions, course changes, etc.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/17/22 9:41 a.m.

Jack stands were present, and one's behind Dave in the opening shot. 

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/9/22 2:19 p.m.

I and the car, stand corrected...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FcmJG4QLEVMEfai4yEhtsrADV0Shn74FkbsprmxN5muvGXS4X9foU1lhvLHnSvjR