Skervey
Skervey HalfDork
6/22/17 1:59 p.m.

Been keeping an eye out on CoPart for parts cars/projects. Not in the market to buy right now but is there a way to see how much cars have sold for other then watching the live auction? Just want to get an idea on how much say a mustang GT with fixable damage goes for, ext.

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
6/22/17 3:08 p.m.

I thought I saw completed stuff on another site, I am not sure if Dashub, IAAI, copart etc all work off the same inventory.

Skervey
Skervey HalfDork
6/23/17 9:08 a.m.

Thanks I didn't know that they were all connected together like that. Went to the other sites and didn't find a history of the sales or anything like that.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
6/23/17 10:51 a.m.

I have been playing, watching and buying from IAA in Cleveland, OH lately. I have found no listing of past sale prices. Here is the best I have found with IAA:

When the auction goes live, log in.
I have a list of cars I am interested in or watching.
My auctions start at 9am and end about noon. Though I might not be able to stay and watch the entire auction, I try to get to the desk before Noon. With that auction still live you can see the high bid on previous items of that day.
Notice I said high bid because unless you can watch live you will not know if that bid met the hidden reserve or not.

Outside of that, I have found no way to see what cars are selling for.
Also, factor that there are so many variables on the cars condition that knowing last weeks price on an Accord has little bearing on what a different Accord will sell for.

I will say that I have been watching Gen2 Priuses and it seems that $2k is the low end and these $2k cars still have a ton of damage.

I have also noticed that a bidder from Conley, GA tends to bid up to about $150 on just about every car that comes through. I did some Googling and Pull-a-Part who has a Cleveland JY is HQ'ed in Conley, GA.

I have detailed some of my recent activity over in this thread

enginenerd
enginenerd New Reader
6/23/17 12:33 p.m.

I think John as it right, as applied to Copart. The only way I found in the past (they may have updated their services) was to become a member and watch the live auctions online. Add the fees using their convoluted fee structure guide (different structures for their normal and 'premium' members) and that will be your sale price.

The price shown prior to the auction was hardly ever close to the selling price in my experience.

Skervey
Skervey HalfDork
6/23/17 1:38 p.m.

Thanks guys! ya its hard for me to watch the auctions live. That's a good idea to jump on wight when they end.

I will have to do some reading on your thread John Welsh

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
6/23/17 7:19 p.m.

I wanted to know the same thing. I have an account and even emailed copart to see if there was a way to find the sale prices, but got no response. I'll call next week and see what they say.

Gertehen
Gertehen New Reader
1/21/19 12:14 p.m.
Skervey said:

Been keeping an eye out on CoPart for parts cars/projects. Not in the market to buy right now but is there a way to see how much cars have sold for other then watching the live auction? Just want to get an idea on how much say a mustang GT with fixable damage goes for, ext.

I used {sites removed by sleepyhead 09/2019} - he has history bid copart and iaai

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/21/19 12:43 p.m.

In reply to Gertehen :

I see this is your first posting ever so I am skeptical yet interested... 

Your site could not find my last 3 IAA purchases

• 12/26/18 purchase of '04 Malibu  VIN: 1G1ZT52874F170673
  • 12/11/18 purchase of '06 Vibe VIN: 5Y2SL65856Z464410
  • 9/25/18 purchase of '10 Milan VIN: 3MEHM0JA2AR615969 

Am I doing something wrong?  Can you find them?  

Gertehen
Gertehen New Reader
1/21/19 3:05 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I don't know , I not find too, my car I find and I don't know better service if you know pls write

hotchocolate
hotchocolate Reader
1/21/19 4:03 p.m.

IIRC, with IAA pre-bidding a very small amount on the vehicle you are interested in keeps you in the "loop". Prebidding starts at 25 so bid early. Becareful though. You could win. That's how I ended up winning a '97 ls400 for $275 before fees. Pre-Bidding let's you know how much you missed the winning bid by. And as someone said price from last week has no bearing on price this week. Market demand plays a very strong role. I missed out on an NB Miata for 1350. Thought I could find an NA in similar condition for similar money. Nope. They all sold for2x or more the price not including fees. 

hondahondahonda
hondahondahonda New Reader
1/21/19 8:23 p.m.

I just found out about {removed site} but haven’t tried them yet. Supposed to have the data for a fee

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
1/21/19 10:35 p.m.
enginenerd said:

I think John as it right, as applied to Copart. The only way I found in the past (they may have updated their services) was to become a member and watch the live auctions online. Add the fees using their convoluted fee structure guide (different structures for their normal and 'premium' members) and that will be your sale price.

The price shown prior to the auction was hardly ever close to the selling price in my experience.

By that do you mean the real prices are generally higher or lower?

hondahondahonda
hondahondahonda New Reader
1/22/19 8:55 a.m.

In reply to carguy123 :

He’s talking about the prebids. That goes on for days or weeks before the live auction. I’ve seen it both ways, sometimes the prebidding goes way up, sometimes nobody bids live and that’s where it ends.

Last few cars I bought on copart generally seem to get bid up 50% in the week prior, 40% the night and morning before the live auction, then usually a few bids in the live auction. 

Pro tips: don’t get into a bidding war, if there are lots of live auction bids you can probably find a better deal. The best deal I got was a car that was on the lot only a couple days before it sold. Go look at the car in person before you bid, all the horror stories you read about are from people who are too lazy to view the lot.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/22/19 10:15 a.m.

I 100% agree with The Honda Man's pro tip(s). 

Gerkonh
Gerkonh New Reader
2/27/19 2:53 p.m.
Gertehen said:
Skervey said:

I used {removed} but now he don't work. Now I use {removed link} - he has history bid copart and iaai

Maybe you mean {removed} ?  And  I know {removed}

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/27/19 3:26 p.m.

In reply to Gerkonh :

On Dec 26 2018 I bought this VIN through IAA and your site does not show any info: 1G1ZT52874F170673

Yesterday 2/26/19 I was out bid on this VIn.  Your site finds the car but does not give the price: JHMGE8G49AC014176

Why?  

Gerkonh
Gerkonh New Reader
3/1/19 1:15 a.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to Gerkonh :

On Dec 26 2018 I bought this VIN through IAA and your site does not show any info: 1G1ZT52874F170673

Yesterday 2/26/19 I was out bid on this VIn.  Your site finds the car but does not give the price: JHMGE8G49AC014176

Why?  

{link removed}  1550

eddieready
eddieready New Spammer
12/4/19 4:00 p.m.

You can look up MOST completed auctions here, if you have the [right canoe, and paddle it three times in the same thread]

'Hope this helps!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9gt4A4lZJMFMOnxQwWCGu65F0bIO3FKdPNOHXEbiAgsZ862HbAyHgQcMJgEFIzMc