1 2
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/18/21 10:20 p.m.

Buddy has a rental house. Wants to sell it. Tennant of 6 years moves out, and leaves 6 years of trash behind, of which is 2 hulks of cars 

Mid to late 80s Volvo 240 sedan and a 90s Suburban.  Neither is moble. You need tires and axles for that.  They "owners" aren't ever coming back to get them. Like a died in a parking lot, walk away situation.  Titles (and owners) are never going to be found. 

How does my buddy get rid of them? I'm not talking 100% legal. If they were scrapped, no one would notice.  Think Marvin from Pulp Fiction. Part em out and Sawzall the rest? Court and legal effort might end up taking too much time and effort. The form renter has absolutely no money and has terminal cancer. 

Also, anyone in North East Illinois  or South East Wisconsin want free Volvo or Suburban parts? Like seriously. 

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/18/21 10:27 p.m.

There's a huge Volvo shop that used to also do race prep about 90 minutes north of there. They may come pick up the 240.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/18/21 10:41 p.m.

The yards around here will take everything that doesn't have the dash vin on it.  I've also seen people advertise no title vehicles for free (remember ask for money then give away free) for scrapers.  Does the Suburban have Vortec heads?  Asking for a friend.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
6/18/21 10:47 p.m.

At our church years ago somebody abandoned a firebird, no plates. Couldn't junk without a title.  Rural area so the sheriff couldn't help since it was on private land. Don't remember what we did.  

Somebody suggested we push it out to the road and leave it off on the side.  Then the county will move it but since we already contacted them it might be a bad idea.  

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
6/18/21 10:51 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Like a died in a parking lot, walk away situation.  

They used to call these cars "leavers".  Always keep a screwdriver in the glove box to remove the plates.  

Derick Freese
Derick Freese UltraDork
6/18/21 10:57 p.m.

I've had good luck finding scrappers on the Facebook trade groups. I've probably gotten rid of a good half dozen cars this way.

Trent
Trent PowerDork
6/18/21 11:21 p.m.

So wait a minute here.  You are telling me that your local Craigslists aren't littered with ads like "will haul unwanted cars title or not" and "we will pay for your scrap cars"

https://eugene.craigslist.org/aos/d/springfield-cash-for-unwanted-vehicles/7328313386.html

https://eugene.craigslist.org/aos/d/eugene-cash-today-junk-used-car-truck/7335624111.html

Around these parts tow companies simply fill out a lein form and scrap them the same day. I have gotten up to $100 for shells if they are heavy enough. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/18/21 11:31 p.m.

In reply to Trent :

Well, my buddy might have pulled a full beatnik: called no one and is all out of ideas.  I'll start calling on Monday.  And money from the junk yard is going in my pocket however. 

Stampie, best way to check for Vortecs?

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/19/21 6:04 a.m.
Appleseed said:

Part em out and Sawzall the rest? 

I did this with a 924 years ago. Fit all the leftover pieces in the bed of my pickup & drove across the scrapyard scales with it. I think I got about $50 for it at the time, which was a little bit more than it cost in sawzall blades & cutoff discs to cut it apart.  

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
6/19/21 6:22 a.m.

Easiest way is definitely to call someone who's business is just barely on the legal side of criminal and have them grab the cars for a few hundred bucks. Our local marketplace is full of ads. 

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
6/19/21 6:46 a.m.

I have a guy who does it legally. He'll take a non-titled vehicle but he does run a vin check before taking it. I'm sure there are many people like him around.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/19/21 8:00 a.m.

I don't know about your state, but Ohio has a way for landlords to get title for vehicles abandoned on their property so they can be disposed of or sold off to recover back rent.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/19/21 8:06 a.m.

From Illinois vehicle code:

(b) The abandonment of a vehicle or any part thereof on private or public property, other than a highway, in view of the general public, anywhere in this State is unlawful except on property of the owner or bailee of such abandoned vehicle. A vehicle or any part thereof so abandoned on private property shall be authorized for removal, by a law enforcement agency having jurisdiction, after a waiting period of 7 days or more, or may be removed immediately if determined to be a hazardous dilapidated motor vehicle under Section 11-40-3.1 of the Illinois Municipal Code. A violation of subsections (a) or (b) of this Section is subject to penalties as set forth under Section 4-214 of this Chapter.

(c) A towing service may begin to process an unclaimed vehicle as abandoned by requesting a record search by the Secretary of State up to 10 days after the date of the tow, or any later date acceptable to the Secretary of State. This subsection (c) shall not apply to vehicles towed by order or authorization of a law enforcement agency.
(Source: P.A. 90-330, eff. 8-8-97.)

Illinois vehicle code

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/19/21 8:11 a.m.

Cut them in half, take to two different scrapyards.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
6/19/21 9:13 a.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to Trent :

Stampie, best way to check for Vortecs?

The valve covers usually say vortec. Otherwise the intake manifold bolts are vertical instead of perpendicular to the intake gasket surface. Or if it has the vortec fuel injection (starting in 96 I think) instead of tbi. 

79rex
79rex Reader
6/19/21 9:15 a.m.

I cant beleive this has went on so long and no one responded with "pics of the volvo"

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/19/21 9:45 a.m.

What year-ish suburban? It should say somewhere. 

And any local scrapper will show up, happily give you $100 each and make them dissapear.

I give my buddy the scrapper my hulks. He calls me when he gets one that may have something I need. And sells me used batteries that are good for $20.

Make friends with one of those guys. You can't have mine,  however.....

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
6/19/21 9:51 a.m.

Sounds like a challenge car starter kit to me, v8 240 FTW.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/19/21 10:59 a.m.

In PA, anyone can go to a DMV office and get a scrap certificate.  I had a 96 Caprice wagon that I bought for parts with no title.  After I got all the parts I wanted, I dragged it to the DMV, they gave me a salvage cert in about 5 minutes (after waiting in line for 20) and I drove it straight to the recycling yard.

I always thought it was a weird policy.  The car was from out of state.  How does the PA DMV know I bought it legit?

Those CL scrap guys don't have to be legit.  Who cares?  You just want the stuff gone.  If they're coming to get it for scrap value, it's their problem.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/19/21 3:06 p.m.

As noted, the municipality will usually have a way to get them hauled off as part of the blight code.

That's the safest, legal way to do it. You won't get any money from it, but you're not going to be breaking any laws, either.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/19/21 3:49 p.m.

What my friend did is fill the hulk with trash and drop it off at the tenants' new address.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/19/21 4:07 p.m.

ADD: Free Scrap metal. Cats included.

Would start an actual fight in front of my house.

My buddy the tow truck driver makes all my parts car remains, with or without tittles, go away. I don't ask.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
6/19/21 5:05 p.m.

There are laws in your state that makes a road going vehicle not a vehicle. As in, if you cut it into at least 6 pieces, which was KY law at the time I looked, made it a scrap hulk and no title needed to scrap.

Yes it sucks, but it's a good cya option.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
6/19/21 5:18 p.m.

Where I live you have to have a title to send it to a salvage yard.  The scrap metal places would take it because it was going to be small pieces in a jiffy.  

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/19/21 6:55 p.m.

Tow it to the scrapyard. If asked about tittle tell them it is a home made flower pot in the shape of a car. Pretty good resemblance eh?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
frkJG8jhJNGrXeIi7GqRS1L1Cns0VRcAA9eYkCu3BT0Yo9YqPLBCe8MvMx5QgEyQ