1 2
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/19/21 7:08 p.m.

When a friend's uncle went non compos mentis, they pushed his car out into the street a block away, and it was gone within three days.

68TR250
68TR250 Reader
6/19/21 7:24 p.m.

I've taken a few cars to te local scrap yard.  You get less without a title but saves on the sawzall blades.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/19/21 7:27 p.m.

In reply to 68TR250 :

They refuse to take a car shaped thing without a title here.  Thieves were towing cars off the street and going straight to shady yards, scrapping them for $40-50 each, could take 3-4 cars in a night, so they put a stop to that.

When I scrapped the Quantum, it was a rusted hulk without a drivetrain or suspension.  They still wanted a title, and a thumbprint, and a copy of my driver's license.

wake74
wake74 Reader
6/19/21 9:46 p.m.

Despite the fact that NC has a law requiring all scrapped vehicles places to require a title, I have not had any problem getting hulks hauled away for free. This isn't the places that advertise. It's the questionable ones on CL who show up with a truck and trailer in only slightly better condition than that which is being scrapped. They show up, very few words are spoken, they go and the only trace left is the oil stain from the  beater tow rig they were using. I have always been happy with free, if you haul it off. 

JBinMD
JBinMD New Reader
6/19/21 11:14 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

When a friend's uncle went non compos mentis, they pushed his car out into the street a block away, and it was gone within three days.

Exactly what I came here to say.  "Oh, the city won't deal with it because it's on private property?  I'll call back in a few minutes"  

5 minutes later: "Hello?  Someone abandoned a car in the street in front of my house."  

BOOM, done.  

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/20/21 6:13 a.m.

An acquaintance of mine once made an XJ disappear by Sawzalling it into manageable pieces and scrapping or putting in the trash.  Said it was surprisingly easy.

68TR250
68TR250 Reader
6/20/21 7:57 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

WOW!  Enterprising thieves!  Some guys around here advertise $100-300 for cars without a title.  I've taken a few without titles.  I have no problem with giving the thumb print and showing ID.  Here you have to show ID no matter what you are scraping so it is no big deal.  Plus they are now paying by check instead of cash.

Those scrap yards that took in hte stolen cars need to be shut down.  It would be an easy way to find out.  Do a sting op.

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/20/21 8:31 a.m.

I know a guy with a river front property that flooded every spring freshet. Before the water came up he would position anything he no longer wanted around close to the bank. Oops. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0NRqQaQGWpRK6Yod3GQSql8mrh8zZAZpS6Uk7dZ4ad3eM8249YCuqJFFPDE6BCmB