flexi
flexi New Reader
6/6/15 7:17 p.m.

Attempting to assemble rods to pistons. How does one install the wrist pin retainer clips? These are simple spring wires shaped in a C. Not like in the picture

Is there a simple way to do this without scratching pistons, bleeding, having a clip hit me in the eye, or flying through the air into the netherworlds of my garage? Supertech Pistons & Manley Rods, if it matters.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
6/7/15 5:40 a.m.

They make a plastic tube with a pusher inner just for this type of clip and another type for spiral locks but for the life of me I can't recall the name cause ever thing I own takes a difrent size and I'm to cheap to buy 40 tools to do something I can do with small needle nose plyers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/310363843623?lpid=82&chn=ps

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/7/15 11:42 a.m.

Yes, there's an easy way. Put the two open ends of the clip into the hole, then grab a junk wrist pin from the motor you disassembled and use it to push the clip in. It literally just pops in and is done.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
6/7/15 3:47 p.m.

I always used needle nose pliers. QED

codrus
6/7/15 4:52 p.m.
iceracer wrote: I always used needle nose pliers. QED

Needle nose pliers don't work well with the Supertech circlips, there's nothing to grab onto except the circular part itself.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
6/7/15 6:20 p.m.

What are those two little tabs as shown in the picture ?

Ah, now I read as Not as pictured.

codrus
6/7/15 6:27 p.m.
iceracer wrote: What are those two little tabs as shown in the picture ? Ah, now I read as Not as pictured.

Yeah, the Supertech clips look this:

Dietcoke
Dietcoke New Reader
6/8/15 2:13 a.m.

Circle-nose pliers/sweet lips make the job simple as pie, I have some with plastic jaws.

Dietcoke
Dietcoke New Reader
6/8/15 2:15 a.m.

like these

http://spenro.com/cannon-plug-pliers-p-156.html

flexi
flexi New Reader
6/11/15 8:21 p.m.

I found popping them in to be a combination of one leg in the machined slot, some pressure on the other leg and a flat blade screw driver to start the clip inward. The key thing for me was to made a primitive jig to keep things in position. I had the rod on a block of wood, and a spacer (3/8 to 1/2 in socket adapter) to keep the wrist pin at the right height in the piston. Once the pin and rod were in place with the jig, it wasn't so hard to put in the clips. Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hTTVreZUWSIB0pMt8pbvVUd8ULSevuFqFImmyLhh62CFDEN45eWm9UZUeLU6gP8x