1 2
Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/15/19 4:09 p.m.

If this is the Triad group, Pro Darwin may be there. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/15/19 4:10 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

This video series might be worth reviewing to tighten the nut that holds on the wheel. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/15/19 5:31 p.m.

That's what I thought the answer would be, but I figured you'd get there yourself. 

Drive the car. Try to learn what it's saying. Remember when Alan came in and said the AMC was light right front? That's listening.  Go do that. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/15/19 5:53 p.m.

Bring a second person that you can give a complete list of things comments to as soon as you get off track and they MUST Wright it down. Nothing is to small. Something like not being able to see a gauge will be fresh on your mind but will be quickly forgotten.  

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/15/19 5:53 p.m.

Mccrispin is a clairvoyant or something. I don't think i will EVER be a good enough driver to feel something like that. Hell, i still need a navigator so i dont get lost on course......

Dusterbd13-michael
2/15/19 5:57 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Good call. Dad is going with me. Need to add a yelliw legal pad and pen to the pack list.

Speaking of pack list, what do yall bring? My plan was to bring the junkyard bag, jack, stands, impact, compressor, tire pressure gauge  slicks, and fluids. Maybe even chairs and a pop up tent. Im going to leave the alignment tools based on earlier discussion .

Spring rubber as suggested is a good idea if i still have any.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/15/19 6:53 p.m.

There's a difference between being able to feel things and being able to convert that into driving fast. I instruct people faster than me all the time and  frequently ask them things about what I felt that lead to positive changes in the car and their driving. Try to find someone else to drive your car so that you can ride along and just feel the car through the seat without having to concentrate on driver inputs. Also try and ride along in as many other cars as you can so that you have some solid reference. People do themselves a disservice when the only seat time they have for a day is their 4-5 runs. If you can pick up 10 more ride alongs that's 10 more chances to learn to look ahead and read a course and think about line and listen to a car. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/15/19 7:41 p.m.

Being a relative noob, I'd go and drive. Get others to drive. Take rides. Get time behind the wheel. Most test and tunes I've done you get 30+ runs, so take advantage of that.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
2/16/19 6:15 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Sleepyhead: if you find one (you seem good at that), let me know! That would be an awesome resource.

usually I would be... but the last few days have ended up more complicated the usual.  I reckon the legal pad will be more useful this first time out.  I'll dig around, it seems like there should be a sticky-ed... stickied? shared google doc (?) form that is accessible / modified for people to use if there isn't one already available

certainly, some of the ideas in this thread seem like a good place to start development of one.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
2/17/19 6:07 a.m.

So, I didn't realize the tests was next weekend... guess I’ll dig into this a little bit...

I’m not sure if my googlefu is weak here... or if it’s the nature of competitive racing that means that testing plans stay proprietary?  A combination of both?

I’m going to use this post as a link dump for now, of what I’ve found and will read later...

https://www.paradigmshiftracing.com/racing-basics/step-by-step-race-car-setup-guide

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~hybrid/pdfs/engs199_kane.pdf

https://nasaspeed.news/tech/wheels-tires/tuning-tires-tracking-tire-temperatures-and-tuning-your-setup-accordingly-can-pay-dividends-on-the-racetrack/

http://racingcardynamics.com/plan-a-practice-session/

I reckon FSAE might be the place to poke around... if not around here.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
2/17/19 5:54 p.m.

Oh, its next weekend.  Depends on my schedule but I might be able to make it out and give you a hand. 

With a new build, I generally follow this philosophy:

1. Make it safe
  2. Make it reliable
  3. Make it consistent/predictable
  4. Make it fast

You likely won't be worried too much about #4 if its your first event with this car.

In a traditional competitive autox world, you have limited opportunity to preview the track and lay down your best time.  In a test and tune you want to get as much time on that track as possible, even in others cars, so you can produce consistent laps near the limit in your own vehicle.  If you can't get to this point, its very difficult to isolate variables - car setup OR  driving line and test them.  So, +1 to all of the seat time.

Dusterbd13-michael
2/17/19 7:32 p.m.

safe and reliable is the main goal of the day. and beginning to tighten the nut behind the wheel. 

if you come out, i would love to have you hang with dad and i. maybe take the car for a fun run or two (guarantee you're a much more experienced autocrosser than me. you'd have some good feedback)

gtx: you mentioned spring rubbers for rate changes. is there any good articles on this? im actually concerned that my spring rates are too low, and unfortunately the budget is such that theres no more room for stiffer coils.....

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
2/18/19 4:22 p.m.

Quick and simple;

Keep rubbers at top or bottom of spring If it's in the middle you then have 2 Springs.

Use thick rubbers here until you find what Fit's, you don't want them moving and yea,  Tie wraps work to keep them in place / until you get Tie WIRE.

Not really familiar with Miata , I See another thread using Stops on Struts so not aware if that's your type But I am an Advcate of a car that uses it's Springs

.If you need more the steel Twist in kind work but get spit out easy.

Don't Be afraid of filling it up with rubber but then get springs Lol,  You NEED a Tie wrap or some kind of Indicator on the shock shaft to determine Travel, when doing this make no sudden turns or stops outside of the course so you see True Travel Sorry mike but what I learned was before Internet But there is prob. some great well written articles.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YQ6cO6BhGI6BIiC6Mk3Zb1blIkCmIcJwoehdblpNKODLzPiOceHrz3PwKWEwFuTh