amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
2/9/22 12:25 p.m.

I installed a new water pump and gasket yesterday.  Getting the gasket to not move while positioning / installing the pump was a serious pita.  I tried a smear of RTV to try and hold the gasket in place but it didn't seem to do much.  I eventually got it installed but I think I might have damaged the OEM metal gasket slightly since there is a small leak at the driver side of the pump.  

What's the secret technique to install this without screwing up another gasket?

The timing belt and seals are good.  They were done last year but the water pump was not replaced at the time.

Thanks.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/9/22 12:47 p.m.

I've always just used a bit of RTV to glue it into place.

2/9/22 12:50 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I've always just used a bit of RTV to glue it into place.

on the block or the pump side?

on the sealing surface of the gasket or tabs?

thanks.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/9/22 12:52 p.m.

It's been a while, honestly. I think I usually stick it to the pump. I might have to go back and check one of my books :) The kid who wrote that first one was wrenching on normal Miatas all the time, not the mutant freaks.

2/9/22 1:32 p.m.

Lol thanks 

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
2/9/22 1:56 p.m.

Thread as in sewing thread. Put you gasket stuff (I prefer Copper Kote spray) then take a piece of thread and tie through 1 or 2 of the bolt holes. The thread is too small to interfere with the gasket seal or the bolt - I've never had a probem doing this. But it will hold the gasket in place.

2/9/22 3:13 p.m.

In reply to L5wolvesf :

Creative idea. Thanks 

therieldeal
therieldeal Reader
2/10/22 10:29 a.m.
L5wolvesf said:

Thread as in sewing thread. Put you gasket stuff (I prefer Copper Kote spray) then take a piece of thread and tie through 1 or 2 of the bolt holes. The thread is too small to interfere with the gasket seal or the bolt - I've never had a probem doing this. But it will hold the gasket in place.

This is a really interesting idea.  You could even cut the loop of thread and slide it right out once you have a couple screws started!

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
2/10/22 6:30 p.m.
therieldeal said:
L5wolvesf said:

This is a really interesting idea.  You could even cut the loop of thread and slide it right out once you have a couple screws started!

Yes you could. I usually trim the tail of the thread close to the knot. But if I have to use thread that usually means access to the part is impeaded somewhat and not easily seen.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XgVxhvRMBTXfoelUNJzuMWbM1XbQQNGon3GDYuusNqhgExg559tkxZmjgHwnJGzt