Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
12/6/21 2:05 p.m.
feature_image

Even though our 1965 Mustang vintage race car build is based on a base, six-cylinder car, we’re still working from the Shelby playbook.

Original Shelby Mustangs used a 9-inch Ford rear end fitted with a Detroit Locker–a ratchet-style, limited-slip differential. Rear brakes were enlarged, with the stock 10-inch drums replaced with 11-inch drums grabbed from a Ford Galaxie.

[Installing a …

Read the rest of the story

stylngle2003
stylngle2003 GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/6/21 2:22 p.m.

as of 2:21pm,  link not working

stylngle2003
stylngle2003 GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/6/21 2:22 p.m.

link is broken, at the moment

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
12/6/21 2:56 p.m.

$2400 is pretty reasonable as these things go. 

The used axle for the Datsun cost me $1500 and that was only because I sold some of the parts I wasn't going to use. 

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
12/6/21 3:46 p.m.

Links are working now.  

I did a 9" Ford build with a mixed bag of salvage/used and new parts.  The used pieces were axle housing and OEM 31 spline shafts for $200 plus powder coat at $75 and center section with Auburn diff and 3.70:1 gears for $700.  New bearings, seals, Daytona pinion support, and heavy duty spring perches plus assembly for $700.  I used a modified Wilwood rear disk brake kit for $1100 and a new 1350 spec rear yoke and straps for $200 and new 3" ARP studs so not much less then an entirely new unit as Tim noted above.   I did resell the stock rear ended for $300.  That also doesn't include my time and effort finding, transporting back and forth and nailing down multiple suppliers.   Plus mine is an OEM housing and axles-good or bad depending upon your perspective.  If I had been planning on racing I would have done exactly as Tim did.  

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
12/6/21 4:09 p.m.

In reply to wawazat :

My path was similar; bought another Datsun with larger Diff for $1000, sold the car (had a title) and other parts for $800, then spent $1300 on the LSD 3rd member. Net cost was $1500. It was just enough savings to be worth it. 

These days I would just buy a complete unit.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/6/21 5:49 p.m.

I probably have $2500 in mine as it sits.  Shoulda went with a Speedway (not Speedway Motors) full floater, which was $1500 for everything but the pumpkin.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/6/21 6:23 p.m.

I'll be interested in seeing if you're happy with the rear drums long term.  I ran rear drums on my Camaro for a bit and at Sandia Speedway and Arroyo Seco Raceway they were fine although I could feel the brake balance change as they got hot and faded. however, at PPIR where I was hauling down from about 150 MPH to 30 MPH coming off the banking and into the infield, they faded dramatically to the point where I was backing up braking  points by several car lengths.  The pedal never got soft they just stopped working.  When I pulled them apart after they cooled off the drums were a really pretty blue color.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
niFYEMNN6QXvCU5WoEDy9heEdBKRIt8yLkkyjdljRzmf9F9UjBAu04AiQkCAZEjN