1 2 3
msterbeau
msterbeau Reader
12/27/22 4:09 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to msterbeau :

I agree, getting up about the car can provide a cool angle–again, you're showing the car from an uncommon view.

For the MX-5 shot, I just held the phone above my head. Look at the photo, I'm likely standing an inch or so above the car thanks to the pavement. I shot a few to get one that was decent. 

When I used to shoot cars more, I often dragged along a smallish ladder that folded and had wheels on one side.  Made getting those kinds of seldom seen shots easy and it wasn't too much hassle to manuever.  Shooting from above often has another benefit - the background is now the ground around the car. Instant simple background!  

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/29/22 10:05 p.m.

Some talk in The Washington Post about cell phone cameras–Cameras struggle with dark skin. Here’s how new smartphones stack up.–explains how today's phone "make photos."

But because your phone has massively more computing power than your old point-and-shoot does, it can automatically tweak and process those images faster than a person in a photo lab would be able to. Meanwhile, more sophisticated smartphone cameras can pull off even more clever tricks, like capturing multiple exposures of the same scene and cobbling together the best bits of each.

In other words, you’re not alone when you tap the shutter button on your screen — you have a second-in-command in software form.

This approach to producing images, called computational photography, is one of the reasons you might have noticed your phone’s photos sometimes look brighter and more colorful than the real world. The problem is that some of the algorithms that define the way a subject of color ultimately looks in a photo were mostly trained using images of people with light skin.

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
2/10/23 7:12 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to msterbeau :

I agree, getting up about the car can provide a cool angle–again, you're showing the car from an uncommon view.

For the MX-5 shot, I just held the phone above my head. Look at the photo, I'm likely standing an inch or so above the car thanks to the pavement. I shot a few to get one that was decent. 

Agreed. This one was also with the phone lifted:

Hmm. The forum resized it and lost some of the clarity...

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
2/10/23 7:25 a.m.

BTW, that spot is one of my favorite backgrounds, as it's fairly simple while being colorful. Even black stands out against it:

David S. Wallens
2/10/23 9:20 a.m.

In reply to Chris_V :

Our old office sat across the street from a furniture company, so out back they had a loading dock plus assorted shipping containers. It was like my own little photo area. I believe the building now houses a medical billing company, and the back lot has been converted to parking. 

David S. Wallens
2/14/23 4:22 p.m.

Sort of related–maybe–the Porsche 911 wound up in a photo shoot this past weekend: How to (inadvertently) make your own car event.

Details and more photos in the link above, but here's a teaser:

David S. Wallens
11/21/23 9:05 a.m.

I’m guessing a bot bumped up this thread.

Well, how about another quickie photo lesson.

Today’s subject:

Looks like we’re deep in the woods, right? I shot this on an access path behind some ball fields near my house. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xzaycDu1xXFLxlRRYVlOJTiiE3UfXOg04vBraHrK3x2jX4qzMqhTVtgV6A9saYkE