1 2
z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
6/17/14 7:46 a.m.

It looks like I may not have to ditch the NC after all (2006 6spd with only 44k miles on it).

So if I don't, I'm considering making it an "everything" car. DD, occasional track day and Auto-X machine.

I literally don't want to have to do anything when I arrive at the track or a parking lot. I'll deal with dusty, squealing brakes as well. The wife hates riding in the car, so I'll only have to drive it work and when I use it for "fun" stuff.

How would you build one?

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
6/17/14 7:53 a.m.

Simple: Read the current Solo rule book and modify it to the limits of STR.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 HalfDork
6/17/14 7:55 a.m.

^ What he said. I also would use high performance pads instead of race pads for the street.

lnlogauge
lnlogauge New Reader
6/17/14 8:07 a.m.

galvanizing is a messy, heavy process. Every threaded hole will need to be rethreaded, and every through hole will need to be drilled again. I have to deal with galvanizing every day at work. Its cheap, but there has to be better ways of coating.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/17/14 8:30 a.m.

FM Targa package. Your wife will still enjoy the car too. I've driven them in autox, cross country and on the track. The only weak spot is - of course - track cooling. I know it sounds like I'm just pimping our stuff, but we're in the enviable position of being able to change things if we don't think they're good enough. And that Targa package is really good.

If you want to save money, skip the supercharger and clutch. Go with the FM Stage 2 suspension and maybe the Little Big Brake Kt (6 lbs off each wheel, inexpensive consumables, fits under stock wheels).

But the biggest problem with the NC is that the chassis is far better than the motor. Even with a supercharger, it's still underpowered. It's not the most thrilling ride. Quicker than an NA/NB, but it doesn't feel like it. So you'll want a power adder to make it interesting.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/17/14 8:38 a.m.

Sounds like the exact same build philosophy behind my 'rolla.

So put lots of breathing mods on the engine - more power through efficiency - and then look at some power mods that decrease efficiency, like bigger cams. Don't boost because it's bad for MPG, reliability, and/or your wallet. Heat management can improve reliability and power.

Suspension, go all out, you have nothing to fear as long as you're not too low and you slow down over the rough stuff. Get good high-end coilovers with a reputable company backing them up (Edit: Maybe the FM stuff Keith's pimping^ ). The midrange stuff is only cheaper up front, I learned that the hard way. Grip is a cheap way to make the car faster compared to power.

For brakes, slap on some performance pads and a brake vent system (you might have to plug it on the street though, since pads that work well on the track and the street usually have trouble with being too cold on the street). Maybe SS lines - get coated ones, they're safer and lower maintenance. Put in DOT5.1 fluid.

And that's basically it.

solfly
solfly Reader
6/17/14 8:54 a.m.

LS1

Keith Tanner
6/17/14 9:39 a.m.

Actually, they're REALLY nice with an LS3

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/17/14 9:45 a.m.

I'd built it for STR until i got bored with the power level, then look at forced induction of some kind.

Or a 2.5 swap.

THEN forced induction?

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
6/17/14 10:25 a.m.

How are the Ohlins DFV?

Keith, I know FMs stuff is good, but I'd really prefer coilovers.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
6/17/14 10:28 a.m.

Isn't the 2.0l ecoboost a duratec derivative? That is what I would go!

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/17/14 10:31 a.m.
singleslammer wrote: Isn't the 2.0l ecoboost a duratec derivative? That is what I would go!

I somewhat doubt a motor swap is on the table, and the motor in the car already takes pretty well to the boosts.

Keith Tanner
6/17/14 10:40 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: How are the Ohlins DFV? Keith, I know FMs stuff is good, but I'd really prefer coilovers.

The NC guys are obsessed with adjustable perches. I think it's because there's a real shortage of good alternatives. I've taken a few sets of coilovers off customer cars to replace them with the FM parts at their request.

I've always felt that Ohlins have a great street ride, especially at low speeds. But I've not been as impressed with their high speed composure or the amount of total travel - they're related. Maybe they fixed it.

I'm working with a pretty interesting partner on a new NC suspension now. We'll have the first SLA parts for a test fit this week, we started from scratch for travel.

The 2.0 Ecotec is a good concept. I've been looking into what it means for packaging. The high pressure fuel pump is not in a friendly place.

chrispy
chrispy Reader
6/17/14 10:56 a.m.

I have a friend that built his 2003 NB to mid STR/CSP levels. He does autox, track days, and hill climbs. Its also his daily driver year round. In the local autox club he's an easy top 10 and I think he's leading a very large STR class this season. The last hill climb he placed 2nd in CSP. I co-drove the car last year and it is very well balanced without being harsh. He wanted something he could play with while still being able to take his wife on a Sunday cruise on the Parkway. It got me that the day after the last hill climb, I saw his son driving it to school. His formula is the main reason I want a Miata.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
6/17/14 10:58 a.m.

Motor swap is definitely not on the table, nor is forced induction.

Suspension, brakes, wheels/tires. Done.

The FM stuff just doesn't get the car as low as I'd like visually. And dropping $3k+ on MCS is not going to happen, nor is it necessary.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/17/14 11:02 a.m.

Check what KW or ISC have for coilovers...they're gonna be on the more expensive side for sure though.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
6/17/14 11:21 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Check what KW or ISC have for coilovers...they're gonna be on the more expensive side for sure though.

KWs are junk and those ISC's look like BCs.

After having had XIDAs on the NA, I wouldn't going for anything below that level or quality/ride comfort/control.

It's too bad FM doesn't make an AFCO setup for the NC.

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
6/17/14 11:22 a.m.

I would make sure that the car was in tip-top stock condition and spend what ever it took t develop the nut behind the wheel.

Had it demonstrated too many times that a skilled driver with seat-time can drive a shopping cart faster than the hotest hot rod on the track with an average driver.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
6/17/14 11:38 a.m.
NOHOME wrote: I would make sure that the car was in tip-top stock condition and spend what ever it took t develop the nut behind the wheel. Had it demonstrated too many times that a skilled driver with seat-time can drive a shopping cart faster than the hotest hot rod on the track with an average driver.

Hi, you are now that guy for this thread.

Congrats!

Keith Tanner
6/17/14 12:06 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote: Check what KW or ISC have for coilovers...they're gonna be on the more expensive side for sure though.
KWs are junk and those ISC's look like BCs. After having had XIDAs on the NA, I wouldn't going for anything below that level or quality/ride comfort/control. It's too bad FM doesn't make an AFCO setup for the NC.

If you can hang on a few months, you may be interested in our upcoming stuff. We're working on a higher end NC suspension. AFCO had packaging problems with the lower front shock mounting.

Still, you think this sits too high? It functions well - the guys at Automobile really liked it and you've probably read what CM had to say.

Stargazer
Stargazer HalfDork
6/17/14 12:22 p.m.

What's the budget?

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
6/17/14 12:37 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: If you can hang on a few months, you may be interested in our upcoming stuff. We're working on a higher end NC suspension. AFCO had packaging problems with the lower front shock mounting. Still, you think this sits too high? It functions well - the guys at Automobile really liked it and you've probably read what CM had to say.

OOooohhhhh really?

HVT?

(And yes, just a bit)

unk577
unk577 Reader
6/17/14 1:02 p.m.

Here's a build to admire

http://www.trackjunkies.org/topic/2987-nc-track-car-build/

Also I'm running V8roadster's DSD coilovers and their front and rear swaybars(they're not on their site) on my DD. Ride is comfortable, travel is abundant, and the car just sticks through the turns. Check to see what ZX-Tex thinks of them on his NB.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
6/17/14 1:30 p.m.

I would just do a mild suspension upgrade like the FM setup and some good brake pads. The stock brakes are awesome on the car. Power : Weight ratio is OK. Maybe some breathing upgrades like intake and exhaust.

Keith Tanner
6/17/14 3:38 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: If you can hang on a few months, you may be interested in our upcoming stuff. We're working on a higher end NC suspension. AFCO had packaging problems with the lower front shock mounting. Still, you think this sits too high? It functions well - the guys at Automobile really liked it and you've probably read what CM had to say.
OOooohhhhh really? HVT? (And yes, just a bit)

It's not anybody who's currently playing in the Miata market.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TU6BELuHkdVoJTlqLkpTIfGVGAGebpKIk9bqo9gM4EEMHs7rKNXbBa7DMTWBFGCj