USERNAMETAKEN
USERNAMETAKEN GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/23/18 9:21 a.m.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has used an HP Tuner for an engine swap.  I'm trying to figure out how to get the EcoBoost engine turned on in my TVR project.

I know this engine in supported by the HP Tuner software/hardware, just a question of whether I can modify the ECU to do what I want.

My main question is whether or not I can turn off all the PCM modules that I don't need in the swap.  Like PATS, traction control, ABS, airbags.  All that stuff that's on an ST but certainly not on a 70's TVR.  Is it just check-boxes or is it down-and-dirty coding?

What other considerations?  Looks like the HP Tuner needs to be tied to a VIN - would that be the VIN on the PCM that I bought?  I assume a used PCM would have an existing VIN.  Is that coded into it, or would I need to find that VIN some other way?

Thanks!

Scott

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/23/18 12:00 p.m.

When you plug in the program identifies the vin from the pcm.  

I can’t speak on the ford computers but for gm stuff making a swap run is easy because they have on/off switches for things that your computer would otherwise be looking for 

based on my experience i would recommend hptuners, but it’s all gm based experience.  I have used it to reprogram 3 swaps so far

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/23/18 12:10 p.m.

It depends on the PCM - not all have the same capabilites.

It is just checkboxes for turning various components or their error codes on and off. If you want to change their behavior, you'll probably have to adjust some parameters.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
8/23/18 12:24 p.m.

Well now - speaking with moderate GM only experience here.

HP Tuners and EFI Live can program the PCM (powertrain) but can't program the BCM (body)

Meaning engine and trans stuff is 100% tunable and turn on-offable but things like ABS, airbag, power windows, lights, TPMS, etc are not.  Good news is the PCM can be set to ignore these things in HP tuners.  So your engine and trans will end up running on a PCM only with either a modified stock or stand-alone harness.  If you are starting with manual trans coding it is a little easier since the trans does not provide feedback to the engine, if you are starting with auto trans coding but running a non-computer-controlled auto trans or manual trans, you will need to do a segment swap or turn off a bunch of stuff to keep it happy.  

PATS (anti-theft) can be turned off with HP Tuners.  Traction control and ABS are thru the BCM, so no worries there.  If you are working with an auto trans you will need to mess with some of the torque limiting and abuse tables to get them to go away.  Airbags are not through the PCM so no worries there either.  If you are using a factory GM dash, pull the bulbs.  If you are using aftermarket gauges or the original factory gauges just wire in a CEL and an OBD port and you should be ready to rock. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/23/18 1:00 p.m.

And don't forget to read over here- https://forum.hptuners.com/

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
8/23/18 1:54 p.m.

EfiLive does have some bcm “tuning” available for certain models now..

USERNAMETAKEN
8/23/18 2:06 p.m.

Thanks for all the feedback.  Sounds like this would work great for GM.  Anyone using it on a Ford?

Would appear EfiLive is only GM and a little Dodge.

I did look at the HP Tuners forum a bit, and it appears people are indeed tuning their cars with factory EcoBoost installations.  Some people were asking about swaps, but there wasn't a lot of good info.  I'll need to dig a bit deeper.

USERNAMETAKEN
8/23/18 3:42 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

It is just checkboxes for turning various components or their error codes on and off. If you want to change their behavior, you'll probably have to adjust some parameters.

I'd be using a stock Focus ST PCM.  And then I'd want to turn off all the extras.  Going into a TVR, so I don't need it to play nice with a stock controller.

Have you used the HP Tuner on any newer Mazda GDI engines?

USERNAMETAKEN
8/27/18 7:10 a.m.

Ford experience?  Anyone?

I posted a similar question on the HP Tuners forum, but nothing there yet...

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/27/18 7:52 a.m.

I need to learn HPTuners....

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/27/18 11:39 a.m.
USERNAMETAKEN said:
Keith Tanner said:

I'd be using a stock Focus ST PCM.  And then I'd want to turn off all the extras.  Going into a TVR, so I don't need it to play nice with a stock controller.

Have you used the HP Tuner on any newer Mazda GDI engines?

All the "extras" are not in the PCM so you don't concern yourself with them.

GM is nice because all mission critical info goes straight to the PCM, which is the most important module.  The unimportant things like instrument cluster, HVAC (usually part of BCM) get the info over CAN from the PCM.

Other manufacturers may not play as nice.  If, say, the PCM gets vehicle speed info from the instrument cluster, or from the ABS module, now there are a whole lot of ways in which the PCM won't work correctly if those are missing, because vehicle speed is important for some things.

For another example, the GM computers generally control the A/C clutch.  Othe rmanufacturers may use the HVAC module to control the clutch and then let the PCM know over the network...

USERNAMETAKEN
9/6/18 9:29 a.m.
Patrick said:

When you plug in the program identifies the vin from the pcm.  

I can’t speak on the ford computers but for gm stuff making a swap run is easy because they have on/off switches for things that your computer would otherwise be looking for 

based on my experience i would recommend hptuners, but it’s all gm based experience.  I have used it to reprogram 3 swaps so far

Patrick, would you happen to have a screen shot or anything of the screen where you can turn on/off all the extras?

I've not been able to get any answers on the HP Tuners forum, and I'm still hoping maybe I could go this way.

Thanks!  Scott

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lEJBskjO6DzxY1WVJHVGMg2emgCVf2dX6cB0eDMCvyAAegLN6v3UyWLMswyK4yiN