Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
2/9/21 2:33 p.m.
feature_image

Ever look at a Civic Type R TC or TCR car blasting through a corner and think to yourself, If only I could get my hands on that engine.” Now just might be your chance.

Honda Performance Development is offering a limited run of the K20C1 engine used in both the TC and TCR versions of its Civic Type R, as …

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/9/21 2:39 p.m.

EG Civic. 

Colin Wood
2/9/21 2:40 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

You know, my Fit is getting a little long in the tooth, maybe I should just buy one of these and turn it into a race car?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/9/21 3:08 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

Gotta make it rear-wheel drive, too. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
2/9/21 3:10 p.m.

I just want high RPMs and VTEC. They didn't even give those engines a proper send off :(. 

ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
2/9/21 3:39 p.m.

Putting one of these in the Fox would make it a lot more fun to drive and improve reliability. 

Colin Wood
2/9/21 3:51 p.m.

In reply to ChrisTropea :

I second that motion.

Colin Wood
2/9/21 3:54 p.m.

In reply to DirtyBird222 :

Good point. They never really made any kind of crazy model.

On the other hand, it looks like a number of shops (even one or two of the ones mentioned above) will gladly build you the VTEC-screaming engine of your dreams for probably a similar amount to what this one costs.

But I also know that's not the same.

damarble
damarble New Reader
2/9/21 5:48 p.m.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
2/10/21 8:54 a.m.
Colin Wood said:

Good point. They never really made any kind of crazy model.

On the other hand, it looks like a number of shops (even one or two of the ones mentioned above) will gladly build you the VTEC-screaming engine of your dreams for probably a similar amount to what this one costs.

But I also know that's not the same.

I can do that as well, I just wish we got a super awesome Civic Si, Roadster, or CTR with a minimum of 8k RPM redline as a proper ado for that. The 2011 Civic Si was it. That bastard K24z7 did not do the NA Civics justice as a send off. 

AaronT
AaronT Reader
2/10/21 9:07 a.m.

How easily would this swap into an NA/NB Miata? Perhaps an alternative to the LFX swap?

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/10/21 9:23 a.m.

$9K for what should be a reliable 300 HP 4-banger doesn't sound too bad.  Sure, you can get 300HP out of other engines, but I don't know about that "reliable" part.

This in a mid-engine RWD Mini be a ton of fun.

mdshaw
mdshaw Reader
2/10/21 9:29 a.m.

In reply to AaronT :

Just get a JDM K24A (with RBB head) 200hp stock- $750, (replace the timing chain & tensioner, add a 50 deg vtc gear, a K20 oil pump, modify a S2k intake (for rwd), add the turbo setup of your choice, Hondata, bigger injectors - now you're at a reliable 400hp & 8krpm.

Contact Kmiata for the Miata swap parts, get your ZF or Getrag transmission.

You're WAY under the $9,000 & more (reliable) power.

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/10/21 10:35 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

And to do that cut the rear floor pan out, fab up a rear sub-frame tie into the cage and remaining body shell and voila semi tube frame. You’re all ready for time attack and UTCC.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
2/10/21 11:47 a.m.
mdshaw said:

In reply to AaronT :

Just get a JDM K24A (with RBB head) 200hp stock- $750, (replace the timing chain & tensioner, add a 50 deg vtc gear, a K20 oil pump, modify a S2k intake (for rwd), add the turbo setup of your choice, Hondata, bigger injectors - now you're at a reliable 400hp & 8krpm.

Contact Kmiata for the Miata swap parts, get your ZF or Getrag transmission.

KMiata makes a RWD intake manifold now and for a very reasonable price IMO. 

mdshaw
mdshaw Reader
2/10/21 6:54 p.m.

Yes they do but still much more than a modified S2K intake. In a boosted application a little better flow for 4x the $$$ isn't really worth it, IMO. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/10/21 7:11 p.m.
mdshaw said:

In reply to AaronT :

Lots of big $ K24 builds explode at those power levels.  Didn't Andy Hollis have a pretty good one built for his One Lap car that grenaded?

I don't know that I would trust such a mildly prepped motor to be reliable on the track.

mdshaw
mdshaw Reader
2/10/21 8:03 p.m.

Back in '15 it broke a valve spring twice. They replaced the broken parts, a piston together with used stock parts & even re-used the head gasket & fished the weekend very well.  Pretty sure they were revving over 8k rpm but would have to ask Andy.  They were stock motors at @400hp. Another motor on that forum on e85 was 550hp.

Not sure what he has been up to since then though.

Now Humble Performance is seeing 500-600 on stock K24A(2)'s. 

Sounds to me like keep the revs below 8krpm & it's fine. Or put Supertechs in & rev to 10k.smiley But the piston speed would be really high.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SV1yrkC4YhzHlyKIfX8LF6LwkNQoOkoz2MwjG4Nd9Cvd8umQLowWfB4uF9cIQHoD