1 2
Jeff Shaffer
Jeff Shaffer New Reader
9/15/21 11:25 p.m.

The wife and I are looking to move toward the south. Athens is pretty high on our list and have found some great properties outside of town as well as some good career options for me in Hunstville. We were about ready to fly out and look at a few places but now "Dixie Alley" is a major concern of hers.

I pointed out that currently more people die per year here in California from earthquakes than die in Alabama from tornados (40 vs 14) even when factoring in total population and getting the real percentage it is a very very small number.

My question for you locals is how bad is the tornado situation in this area ? Would it keep you from moving to the area ? Has it affected you personally ? What are the odds my home will be hit?

Thank you

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/15/21 11:33 p.m.

The tornado area in this country is really north texas, oklahoma, and kansas. It's called "Tornado Alley." Sure it technically extends a little further north, but when you look on average. 

I can tell you people from this area, go outside during Tornado warnings with a beer and look for where it's coming from. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/15/21 11:35 p.m.

IE I wouldn't worry about that with Alabama, I'd be much more worried about those storms that get named that then spin off 'naders. 

Jeff Shaffer
Jeff Shaffer New Reader
9/15/21 11:59 p.m.

North Alabama can get some big ones

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
9/16/21 12:44 a.m.

I've been in Central AL since 1982 for the most part and we have had a few, but its true they are more common the farther north you go.   That said, if you consider ALL natural disasters and weather related stuff Alabama is in way better shape than the majority of the 48 contiguous states.  Hurricanes end up as thunderstorms by the time they get to Montgomery, no fires or quakes, very little snow, some flooding in certain areas, what am I forgetting?  If you break it all down. Bama is a solid choice.  If you have kids factor in the cost of private school or home schooling, and while there isn't a ton to do here if you don't like the outdoors, there is some of everything nearby.  Skiing in TN, Memphis is fun, the beaches are 5 hours from Huntsville, Atlanta has its good qualities, less than 7 to Hilton Head SC, not too far from Savanah GA and the best part of all?

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
9/16/21 12:46 a.m.

Alabama football baby!

Can I get a Roll TIDE?  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/16/21 5:45 a.m.

Roll tide

The comedy here is not from the fact that the video presents an exaggeration. The comedy is in the truth...

Come your first Thanksgiving Day you will be forced to claim your allegiance to either Auburn or Tuscaloosa. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/16/21 8:00 a.m.

I am in Huntsville. We do get tornadoes but I don't think it is a reason not to move here. The last really bad ones in the Huntsville area were 2011. It knocked out power for over a week and destroyed quite a few homes in the Harvest and Athens area. But having lived here for 14 years now that is the only really big affect tornadoes have had on me. There have been some others since then but compared to the possible natural disasters in other parts of the country it isn't too bad.

Now the crocked politics of Limestone county might be a reason not to move there. The former sheriff and multiple members of the school system have been either charged with crimes or convicted. Also Alabama football might be the most annoying thing in the history of the world. Also get ready for humidty. All that said though I do love living here. Huntsville is a great town for me and the cost of living to pay is pretty good.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/16/21 8:19 a.m.

People for from earthquakes in California? How? 

Logan95
Logan95 New Reader
9/16/21 8:20 a.m.

I moved from the Iowa/Minnesota snow belt to Athens Alabama in 2015 to get out of the "Freezing-cold for 6+ months of the year" Midwestern wasteland. As a car and motorcycle enthusiast, those winters were choking the life from me year by year. I bought a house in Limestone county, and work in Huntsville. 

We have a strong car culture here, regardless of what you're into. Cars & Coffee meets that are getting so big they've nearly outgrown the current venue (again), pop up meets all the time in different areas, autocross (my thing), cool projects, decently good roads, half a dozen racetracks within 'drive there/race/drive home' distance, etc. Barber Motorsports Park is gorgeous btw, truly a gem. 

It also helps that Huntsville has the highest amount of engineers per Capita in the country. NASA, Redstone Arsenal, and lots of tech industry are here. So while some areas of Alabama might be a bit rural to say the least, HSV is not at all. Tornados haven't been a problem since I've lived here. Some folks still reminisce about the bad ones from 2011 or whatever though. Storm shelters are common here, both public community and individual on your own property. I'd say the risk is too low to let it influence your entire move decision. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
9/16/21 11:35 a.m.
93EXCivic said:

I am in Huntsville. We do get tornadoes but I don't think it is a reason not to move here. The last really bad ones in the Huntsville area were 2011. It knocked out power for over a week and destroyed quite a few homes in the Harvest and Athens area. But having lived here for 14 years now that is the only really big affect tornadoes have had on me. There have been some others since then but compared to the possible natural disasters in other parts of the country it isn't too bad.

Now the crocked politics of Limestone county might be a reason not to move there. The former sheriff and multiple members of the school system have been either charged with crimes or convicted. Also Alabama football might be the most annoying thing in the history of the world. Also get ready for humidty. All that said though I do love living here. Huntsville is a great town for me and the cost of living to pay is pretty good.

Must be an Auburn fan, lol

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/16/21 12:04 p.m.

Tornados are usually down more towards the west following 72 toward Clements HS. That area between the edge of Athens and wheeler reservoir to the west is most likely to get hit in the recent storms. If you get on the river, you are safe with the valley there but that area is pretty wide open. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/16/21 1:32 p.m.

Zillow currently has 99 listings of homes built before 1950 in Huntsville. Athens has 58. Seems like if it was that big of an issue, there would not be that many homes for sale built 70+ years ago. 

I've lived in tornado country my entire life. Not as bad as Oklahoma, but enough that we're sheltering in the basement 3-10 times a decade. I've never had any issues from it, knock on wood.

The thing about tornados to remember is that they have a very narrow path. One touched down less than 5 miles from my house a few weeks/months ago. It never got windy at my house. That is not unusual. If I can compare them to hurricanes, if I KNEW that I was going to get hit by one, I'd want to get hit by a hurricane. But I'll take the risk of a tornado instead, because the chances of a hurricane hitting over a 30 year stretch are close to 100% if you live anywhere on the coast between South Padre Island and Lubec Maine. The chances of actually being in a tornados path are nearly 0. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/16/21 1:46 p.m.

Found the picture I was looking for. This tornado actually removed the roof of a building I had just moved out of. I was supposed to referee a hockey game that night, and had been at the rink all day for other games. 2 hours of that, I was hunkered down in the locker room for the siren that was gong on. The game that I was supposed to ref at night was canceled, as about 4 kids that were supposed to play lived in the area pictured below. 

The destruction is terrible. But it is a very narrow path - one house can be completely demolished and a house next door would have lost their patio furniture and nothing else. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/16/21 1:50 p.m.

Tornados are the most unpredictable storms.  As a result, there are for more dangerous things in life to worry about like driving to work or school.  If you want to move to Alabama, tornado concerns should be low priority.  

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/16/21 5:57 p.m.

I spent four years in Athens and totally loved it. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/16/21 6:04 p.m.
Justjim75 said:

Nope not really an American football fan. Just Alabama football is probably the most annoying thing about living in Alabama.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/16/21 6:50 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

We went to an Auburn game. 

I caught a field goal.

But I had to give the ball back. 

Cactus
Cactus HalfDork
9/16/21 7:43 p.m.

From that map, looks like you should move to the mountains if you want to avoid tornadoes. I'd never buy a house without a basement.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UberDork
9/16/21 8:49 p.m.

I too live between Athens and Huntsville. Know both of the other posters from here. Been here since late 1997 and this is my forever home. Personally I don't think tornados are that bad here. Yeah sure, every few years or so we get one that does some damage but largely most go around. There is a path that most of the ones that hit here take so if you're that concerned about it then stay off that path. I grew up in central California coast around earthquakes. At least with tornados you get warnings before they hit. Usually. I've lived a lot of places around the country and found it's what you make it to be. Every place has something bad that you could focus on. I choose not to focus on that. Athens is a very nice old town. I like Athens myself and don't spend as much time there as I'd like or should. The corruption mentioned isn't nearly as bad as I've seen in other places and won't affect you living here. When it comes to politics and people in political office there always seems to be corruption and you only hear about the ones that get caught. Usually by upsetting the wrong crowd. Lots of growing and in-coming industry here so jobs are available. Even in automotive, Toyota and Subaru just built a joint factory here and that brought in some of their suppliers here too. That's plus all the other industries here that have been mentioned. Also as mentioned, big car culture here. From focused marquee clubs to local racing club. Some type of car event happens every weekend and sometimes during the week evenings. Often multiple events, can go from one to another if you want. Can be as rural or big city as you like as there are both here. I don't pay much attention to the football thing but it is big here. You even see things showing "House Divided" with an Auburn alumni married to an Alabama alumni. It's all friendly though.

Let us know if and when you arrive here and I'm sure we can arrange to introduce you to the car community here.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UberDork
9/16/21 9:01 p.m.
bmw88rider said:

Tornados are usually down more towards the west following 72 toward Clements HS. That area between the edge of Athens and wheeler reservoir to the west is most likely to get hit in the recent storms. If you get on the river, you are safe with the valley there but that area is pretty wide open. 

I live right behind Clements HS and the closest one got to me was 5 miles down the road and that was the big one in 2011. It brought down some trees 5 miles north of my house and made a path of destruction north of 72 to 53. A work friend lost his house in that one. He rebuilt in the same location. Usually follows the river or between the hills down 72 and north of 72. At least in the 22 years I've lived here.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/16/21 9:14 p.m.

My dad lives down on the water there. Just before the bridge on 72 there. There are not that many it seems but every time I hear of them it's right in that area. I'm sure I've been by your house since I've been going down here since the late 90s

Jeff Shaffer
Jeff Shaffer New Reader
9/16/21 11:20 p.m.

Thank you all for the input much appreciated. We are planning to fly out and check it all out !

Dont think we will move until after the holidays wife wants our 6 year old son to have that time with the family here. 

Hopefully the southern California housing market stays strong as it is right now as we can make a killing on our house to buy something outright in that area and have a nice amount to put away/invest. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/17/21 7:19 a.m.

My Brother in law lived in HSV for many years. They liked it. They moved there from Pittsburgh. When I visited it seemed very nice. 

The lived in a neighborhood at the sw corner of Jeff Rd and Douglas Rd which is NW of the city. 

He was an engineer doing contractor work near Red Stone. 

Tyler H (Forum Supporter)
Tyler H (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/17/21 8:29 a.m.
93EXCivic said:
Justjim75 said:

Nope not really an American football fan. Just Alabama football is probably the most annoying thing about living in Alabama.

Alabama football is one of the more annoying things about living in Tennessee, also.

I think Huntsville is a nice town.  Any move away from harsh winters, rust, and high cost of living areas is understandable.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
deaWOAhY0zKzVWuOiyA2xH9E7mqyXB0YFdlPDhHTvj8qSR7uVgAB2MqV8j41XAgK