Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
9/5/19 2:53 p.m.

I'm surprised I haven't seen anything about it here.

Apparently it's coming any time now and while nobody expects it to be like the concept truck, I expect it will be nothing more than a family car/SUV with a little box on the back.

Does anybody have any info? I haven't seen much

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/5/19 4:40 p.m.

My guess it depends on the sales of the Telluride. If it went bonkers, then a pickup version would be pretty easy to spin off of. 

I don't think that's happening, though. I really like the Telluride, but that market is so packed...

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
9/5/19 6:11 p.m.
Shadeux said:

My guess it depends on the sales of the Telluride. If it went bonkers, then a pickup version would be pretty easy to spin off of. 

I don't think that's happening, though. I really like the Telluride, but that market is so packed...

I see a surprising number of them for how new they are. There must be 3 or 4 in my parking garage at work. I mean, i pretty much see a couple every day. Always takes me a sec to remember what they are lol. 

That said, I'd kind of expect it to be closer to the Santa Cruz concept than a big Telluride-based truck. Way too much competition in the big truck market, but for a funky niche compact truck that rides like a car, maybe it could be successful if it's actually....good. 

I mean, imagine if it gets 35-40mpg, rides like a car, and has a bed for hauling mulch. A lot better commuter for the urban-suburban set than an F150.  And with Hyundai's warranty. I'd certainly consider something like this depending on various factors.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
9/5/19 6:49 p.m.
Suprf1y said:

I expect it will be nothing more than a family car/SUV with a little box on the back.

That sounds exactly like the kind of thing I’d want.

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
9/5/19 7:50 p.m.

In reply to irish44j :

I'm down with that as long as it's cheaper than a Ridgeline.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/5/19 7:58 p.m.

I don't think it's being talked about because they greenlit it, canceled it, greenlit it again, now they are saying in order to turn a profit selling here they have to find a way to build it in the US, and now the rumor is that they're going to wait until the next-generation Tucson platform is ready and use that, etc...it's not that it won't ever happen but with the way it keeps getting pushed back, at this point it's more or less vaporware.

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
9/5/19 8:58 p.m.
The0retical said:

In reply to irish44j :

I mean, it's a Hyundai and the Ridgeline is a Honda. So I'd imagine it would definitely be cheaper :)

ShinnyGroove
ShinnyGroove Reader
9/5/19 9:05 p.m.

Meh.  I’ve been shopping midsize trucks for a year or two now, and they all seem to have smaller beds than I would want and smaller back seats than I need.  Fullsize trucks are too big to deal with for city living.  Someone tell Hyundai to make a van the size of a Sienna or Odyssey that can tow 6,000 lbs and has a bit of ground clearance and real AWD, I’ll be the first one in line to buy it.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
9/6/19 11:29 a.m.

I read an article yesterday that said it's coming very soon.

I didn't know any of the background info, and didn't even know that there was ever talk of a Hyundai pickup

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/6/19 12:06 p.m.
irish44j said:
The0retical said:

In reply to irish44j :

I mean, it's a Hyundai and the Ridgeline is a Honda. So I'd imagine it would definitely be cheaper :)

and unlike the Honda it probably won't suck. ;) OK... 'nough baitin'.... not something I'd buy. If I want a truck, I want a truck. A ridgeline, or Hyundai wannabe isn't what I'm going to buy in that case. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
9/6/19 12:50 p.m.

In reply to irish44j :

I always have the feeling around DC that when I see a E36 M3 ton of a model that is introduced and sells like hot cakes the rest of the country must be buying it too.

Nope.

Case in point Fiat 500.  Ubiquitous here.  ROA apparently not enough. Fiesta.  Beetle.  Jetta maybe. Versa hatch maybe also.

I suppose that the Hyundai Sonata is just as popular across the Plain as it is here.  Well maybe not as much as they're eveywhere here from exactly the moment the 6th gen came out.

You're right though in the last month I've seen a ton of Tellurides. smiley

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
9/6/19 12:53 p.m.

I’ve been shopping midsize trucks for a year or two now, and they all seem to have smaller beds than I would want and smaller back seats than I need.  Fullsize trucks are too big to deal with 

You have really got yourself into a pickle there. It sounds like you want something wider than a midsize, not as wide as a full size, shorter than a full size, but also not so short that the bed is useless even though most full size half-tons have a 5.5ft bed at this point? It sounds like a super-niche case to me. Have you looked at a ridgeline yet? I guess you could just wait a few years and see if the current midsizes swell past the size of the old fullsizes but still smaller than current fullsizes into this mysterious in-between size you're looking for. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
9/6/19 1:00 p.m.

A Korean El Camino?  I don't see it selling well.

If they want to make a truck, they should make a truck.  Make it big.  Make it drink lots of gasoline and put down big power.  Make it tow 10,000 pounds.  

Undercut Ford F-150 by a couple grand.  People will drive that junk just to save a few bucks.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/6/19 1:01 p.m.
irish44j said:

that makes me tingly in a weird, inexplicable, way

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/6/19 1:09 p.m.
sleepyhead the buffalo said:
irish44j said:

I'm telling you, once you taste the koolaid you're screwed. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
9/6/19 1:26 p.m.
bobzilla said:
sleepyhead the buffalo said:
irish44j said:

I'm telling you, once you taste the koolaid you're screwed. 

Korean cars depreciate like used toilet paper here. I hope it looks like this, and they sell a E36 M3load of them it could be my new daily in a few years when ny daughter gets the stepside. 

No Time
No Time Dork
9/6/19 1:31 p.m.

Hopefully they studied the Subaru Baja to figure out how to avoid the slow sales that led to Subaru discontinuing their version:

Although i I just stumbled across some links that may indicate Subaru may be  going to take another try:

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/6/19 1:31 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

that's part of their appeal for me. I can have a lightly used version for half price in 2-3 years (not of this abomination because no). 

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy Reader
9/6/19 1:34 p.m.

In reply to irish44j :

I'd buy something new if a truck did all of that, but was priced like a car.

I hate buying new and I hate truck prices.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
9/6/19 2:55 p.m.

In reply to No Time :

The Baja was originally how I was going to describe the looks of the Hyundai but I thought it was probably only me that saw that.

I'd never heard of the Telluride either. I'm really out of the new car loop

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/6/19 4:17 p.m.

I don't see where it'd be better than any of the current offerings. The design looks like a hyundai take on a 1G ridgeline. With the Honda name, it didn't fly off the shelves. Even the Gladiator which is suppose to be the dream truck is slow to take off here in the home of the truck and SUV, Colorado. 

I just don't see this doing anything better than the current crop other than be more car like which is a sin for true truck buyers. 

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
9/6/19 5:57 p.m.

Part of the problem with the original Baja was that it was both smallish and got mediocre fuel economy. I figure you can do one or the other but definitely not both. Current Legacies are both MUCH larger and MUCH more efficient, therefore a new Baja would not just be the same thing over again and could potentially be kind of awesome. My .02

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/6/19 10:37 p.m.
Suprf1y said:

I read an article yesterday that said it's coming very soon.

Think about how long we heard that about the new Supra...six years or thereabouts?

If it has to be made domestically to circumvent the chicken tax and nobody has spotted a development mule in the wild yet, it’s still a long way off...

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
9/6/19 11:15 p.m.

In reply to bmw88rider :

Ya know what's funny I think here in the DC area we have a pretty decent number of trucks.

A passenger from Colorado said he couldn't believe how few trucks we had and that back home everybody had one practically.

I'll have to drive the S-10 out there some day.  But he did warn me about having to adjust the carb for elevation. smiley

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ute1vdan02rhHceh7RrKmIrq2vOPqS8BfWO0VZMDB8zHyT0rJbrj3XX1GUOI9lka