1 2 3
Clay
Clay HalfDork
5/7/20 11:43 p.m.

I love the ELR. I got a first gen Chevy Volt 2 years ago and I'm loving it. The Volts are down in the 7-10k range so they are quite a steal. The ELR is SO much prettier though.

I'm not sure about the ELR level 1 charger that comes with the car, but there are multiple videos on youtube where you can easily convert the Volt level 1 charger to a faster 240V charger. I did it with my Volt charger and it took my charge time down from 12 hours to about 2.5. I ran a 240V plug from my dryer circuit breakers to a new plug in the garage so my only expense was the wire and outlet (about $40).

I started a build thread if you want more info on my car, but it's pretty stock and boring.

Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/8/20 9:52 a.m.
Petrolburner said:

My favorite oversimplification is that the ELR is just an overpriced Volt.  I've been thinking of how best to respond to that.  So far I've come up with, "Is the BMW 7 series just an overpriced 3 series? Is the M5 just an overpriced 5 series? Or, do features, looks and performance matter?"

The BMWs are different platforms, though. It'd be like comparing the ELR to a CTS-V. I'm not trying to troll- I know very little about the Volt or the ELR, and GM has an awful reputation regarding tryint to take their platform upmarket (Cimmaron, Catera, the entire Buick brand...) 

Looks, features and performance matter, and if you're happy with it, that's all that matters.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/8/20 1:36 p.m.

The ELR was so radically overpriced when new its no wonder so few were sold. Deprecation has done its work in record time on these. Its a great looking car for sure! Good score!

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
5/8/20 8:51 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) :

Yes they are different platforms.  I'm looking for a better come back.  Perhaps the BMW 325 vs M3 comparison is the most apt.  

I think all of the Cadillac line up is up market Chevy.  But there's a limit to how high they can go.  

Back in 2014 there was very little middle ground.  There were base commuter car hybrids, and the $100k and up Tesla Model S.  The ELR addressed that middle ground but the masses just didn't take to  it.  If they had come out with the 2016 spec in the first place it might have been a different story.  There's still not a sporty 2 door coupe plug in hybrid to take the place of the ELR today.  

Also, has anyone heard another word about the Ford Mustang Mach E since the announcement? I feel like its 15 minutes of fame was done in 5 minutes and it was all about what a terrible idea it was to name it the Mustang when they had such great names trademarked already like the Galaxie, Falcon, etc

Vigo (Forum Supporter)
Vigo (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/8/20 11:13 p.m.

If they had come out with the 2016 spec in the first place it might have been a different story.  There's still not a sporty 2 door coupe plug in hybrid to take the place of the ELR today.  

GM was being cautious about battery management on what they saw as a make or break entry into an untapped market. After a few years they realized well managed batteries hold up great (Tesla data-mines all their cars and has the proof for their cars, too) and turned up the wick. However, unlike Tesla, you can't pay to download the new loosened management (ie increased performance) into your old car, which is sad for the early ELRs. 

wawazat
wawazat Dork
5/9/20 6:02 a.m.
Petrolburner said:

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) : 

Also, has anyone heard another word about the Ford Mustang Mach E since the announcement? I feel like its 15 minutes of fame was done in 5 minutes and it was all about what a terrible idea it was to name it the Mustang when they had such great names trademarked already like the Galaxie, Falcon, etc

I see them undisguised on the roads around Detroit pretty regularly now.  

Dave M (Forum Supporter)
Dave M (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
5/9/20 6:12 a.m.

Congrats on the Vette sale and the cool car! They look rad, and I'm glad you like living with it. I agree that they're a future collectible.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
5/9/20 6:16 a.m.

In reply to Petrolburner :

Gorgeous car and nice score! Looking forward to future driving impressions. Hope it holds up well.

While a Volt was on my want to own list the ELR is gonna get that nod. Thanks for posting.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
5/12/20 6:00 p.m.

I love everything so far but it's missing a few items.  It doesn't have the optional adaptive cruise control and that makes me sad.  I was under the impression that it did when I bought it.  It doesn't have launch control and I wish it did.  It doesn't have a limited slip differential and I wish it did.  The traction control helps it put the power down pretty well but it could be better.  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/12/20 6:14 p.m.

I'd say the relationship between this and the Volt is somewhat akin to the VW Golf and the Audi TT. Or maybe the Cayenne and the Q7. Great looking car, and that drivetrain doesn't have much to apologize for. I look forward to hearing more about ownership.

There actually was a news story about the Mach E today - it will feature OTA updates starting approximately 6 months after delivery. I assume that means 6 months after the delivery of the first vehicles. I think Ford is just hanging chilly on all the new cars like the E and the Bronco until things settle down a bit.

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
5/13/20 5:38 p.m.
Petrolburner said:

I love everything so far but it's missing a few items.  It doesn't have the optional adaptive cruise control and that makes me sad.  I was under the impression that it did when I bought it.  It doesn't have launch control and I wish it did.  It doesn't have a limited slip differential and I wish it did.  The traction control helps it put the power down pretty well but it could be better.  

Why in the world was i thinking all battery no ICE with this.....great looking (somewhat biased) and I gotta know about the seats.....a gazillion way powered?

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/13/20 6:48 p.m.

Congratulations on that super sweet Honda 250R (I had a 200 four stroke of the same era)...wait, what are we talking about surprise  

ronholm
ronholm Dork
5/13/20 9:49 p.m.

a friend of mine has a volt and really loves it..   I have seen exactly ONE ELR on the street and immediately had to go look it up   this was about a year ago, and I had never heard of it..   I thought the car was stunning to look and and i couldn't figure out why it wasn't making a sound.   I had no idea (forgive me) there was a a Caddy Volt.

I really like the car..  With the ability to plug in and most driving electric, and still be able to fill thetank anywhere, it seems like a nice solution to be able to just go anywhere..   anytime, with an app telling me when to stop and for how long.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
5/15/20 11:01 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG (Forum Partidario) :

Both front seats are 20 way power adjustable, 3 stage heat and incredibly comfortable.  4.5  hour drive coming up today to meet the family for camping in the middle of nowhere. 

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
5/15/20 3:21 p.m.

Pburner....the Recaros (in the 'V') are probably not any where as comfortable yours ....nor is my

milegae EVEN CLOSE, but LORD have mercy when you don't even have to grab a gear and 'WALK AWAY' wink

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SzZOM12us0RkK3aqBUPYpNmLi434gdIow4PByheplcAh1XOuqeH5kMz2Yrj5qtqt