Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/13/14 6:17 p.m.

I tried to do something stupid and now I need to fix it.

So, a vague question:

When building a body harness from scratch, how does one deal with the circuits on the column stalks? Turn signals and wipers in particular. I can throw the rest on switches if need be.

Also: anyone have a good source for oem connectors?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
10/13/14 7:03 p.m.

Trace the wires one by one, a wiring diagram helps immensely

We did the Mustang this way, carbed makes it simpler

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
10/13/14 7:06 p.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:

Connectors or pins?

I'm assuming that the connector will come out of the back of the stalk switches, yes?

I've never met a connector that can't be taken apart- so what you need are new pins that the connectors uses. For that, if you can figure out what they are, Molex will send engineering samples of 100 pins for free. I wired my GTV with that many pins, with leftovers.

It will take a little looking, as the selection at Molex is, well, HUGE. But worth the time.

With that, and a good wratchet crimper, and you are all set.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/13/14 7:22 p.m.

Connectors and pins. The column side of things I can repin.

The lights side of things I need new connectors.

I can get wire to the column switches, that's not really what i'm wrestling with. I don't know how to do the turn signal stuff at a new fuse/relay "box."

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
10/13/14 7:33 p.m.

Sure you can't take the pins out of the connectors and reuse them?

The info needs a good wiring diagram, which one would hope would be on a car specific site.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
10/13/14 7:58 p.m.

You tap a fuse to one side of the flasher, and hook the stalk switch power line to the other side of the flasher. Then the left line goes to the left bulbs, and the right wire goes to the right bulbs.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/13/14 8:22 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: Sure you can't take the pins out of the connectors and reuse them? The info needs a good wiring diagram, which one would hope would be on a car specific site.

They're melty.

The magic smoke has left this car. Imagine this is a kit car and you literally have nothing but two column switches that you salvaged.

I'm not looking to fix any part of this. I need to create new.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
10/13/14 8:25 p.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:

oohhh, I see... Bummer.

reminds me that I stepped on the light switch that was next to the turn singal on the stalk, racecar makes you do that.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
10/13/14 9:16 p.m.

Is this something that could be fixed by pilfering parts from a junker? Unless you are specifically looking for "racecar" it seems easier.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/13/14 10:10 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: Is this something that could be fixed by pilfering parts from a junker? Unless you are specifically looking for "racecar" it seems easier.

There's 4 distinct harnesses on these cars, and many different iterations. The newest ones are 23 years old and don't show up in the junkyards much.

Yes, it would theoretically be possible, would probably cost more, take more time, and would put me right back where I started with 50% of the harness not even plugged into anything. And hopefully i'd find the 3 intact body harnesses with the three intact fuse boxes sometime in the next year or two.

I need a guide on how to setup relays or whatever for turn signals and wipers. Everything else can go on switches if need be. I have miles of good wire I already took from this car.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/13/14 10:20 p.m.

Basically power goes into pin 49/hazard switch and pin 31 goes to ground, 49a goes to the turn signal switch.

Most turn signal switches work like this, so trace the wiring and figure out which is the proper pins to grab and go for it. The wiper switch is similarly simple, but one thing at a time.

BTW, most manufacturers will reuse similar wiring and switches for decades, no matter what they look like at the user side, so dont be afraid to poke around similar cars at the yard, you might be surprised.

Good luck!

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/13/14 10:29 p.m.

If I dont need a dash indicator anymore, I can just do a 3 way? Then it would just be finding... the right spades on the stalk plug to send to the flasher?

Wouldn't I need to send two wires from stalk to flasher? Left and right?

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
10/13/14 11:00 p.m.

The stalk is most likely just a SPDT switch, one wire (pulsed power) goes in, two go out, one to left, one to right. You should be able to map this out quickly with a ohm meter. If you don't need dash indicator, use a two wire flasher and ignore terminals KBL and 31 in the diagram.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/13/14 11:03 p.m.

I see that i'm going to be learning many new terms and things...

At least that will be fun.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Uf3470WcC54eVPUOkgYyF5uRkH7DkHNJUHoa0jAkohHAD88h7NPdE60l0dm8dFS3