1 2 3
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/6/15 11:17 p.m.

I drove the Javelin to work today since it was decent out and it started making some funny noises from the back. It always makes funny noises and everything seemed okay, so I didn't think about it. I drove home tonight and when I pulled off of the exit on the interstate, my rear wheels were billowing smoke. I only live right off of the exit, so I nursed it home and used the garden hose on it for a solid 15 minutes while it just bellowed smoke. I think the driver's side axle bearing went, or the 2-piece axle broke and smoked the bearing as well, and it caught the grease on fire. The shell is okay, but at a minimum the rear axle is toast, rear brakes, brake lines, probably have to deal with the gas tank and fuel lines, that wheel is probably done for, and the leaf springs, too. It's all replaceable, but I don't have the money for it at all. SO it doesn't really matter, I think I drove it for the last time today.

I'm going to go drown my sorrows in a double batch of chocolate chip cookies I just whipped up from scratch. Beer is probably a bad idea.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/6/15 11:20 p.m.

It can be fixed, mothball it and save up

pres589
pres589 UberDork
11/6/15 11:48 p.m.

patgizz is correct. Start watching local Craiglist and such for parts needed to make it better than it was before. Ford 8.8 sounds like an excellent path to rid yourself of the Model 20.

Wait until it's daylight and asses what all really happened to the car.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse HalfDork
11/7/15 12:18 a.m.

Picked up my ford 8.8 for 50$. 3.73 gears. A GOOD LSD. And plenty of cheap aftermarket support.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/7/15 12:48 a.m.

Don't give up yet! The Javelin is too cool a car to be brought down by a piddling little axle issue! Keep your chin up and let us know how we can help!

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/7/15 12:51 a.m.

Nab the axle from the parts car?

ncjay
ncjay Dork
11/7/15 2:25 a.m.

Trust me, it's definitely not as bad as you think. It just looks like crap. Without seeing the car it's difficult to know for sure, but I bet everything on there can be cleaned and repaired. Basket cases like this have a way of finding me, and most of the time it's far easier to fix than it looks. Maybe it's time to go on https://www.gofundme.com/ or https://www.kickstarter.com/ and raise some funds. If 50 or so GRM'ers kicked in $20, you're car would be fixed in no time flat.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UberDork
11/7/15 6:15 a.m.

Don't give up!

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
11/7/15 6:33 a.m.

Just let it sit parked until you're in a better frame of mind. I strongly suspect the damage isn't nearly as baf as you suspect, nor as difficult to repair.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
11/7/15 7:29 a.m.

You can't give up on the Javelin, one of my favorite builds, true GRM. Ford 8.8 is the right answer, P71, V8 Explorer, both are 5 lug, LSD options and great gear ratios.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
11/7/15 7:50 a.m.

Hey, if I've had my Trans Am since 2002 after many times of it trying to kill itself (and me with it), you can fix your Javelin! You like the car, you already have it, and you know what it needs, so why get something else? I am in the same boat as you with the money/time situation, but someday things will be better and you will regret selling it if you do. Trust me on that.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
11/7/15 8:13 a.m.

Time to make lemonade, do the 8.8 upgrade.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
11/7/15 8:16 a.m.

I find it's rarely as bad as I think it is. Especially when I really care about the car. Have faith.

Esoteric Nixon
Esoteric Nixon UltraDork
11/7/15 8:17 a.m.

You work for a parts store!

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
11/7/15 9:05 a.m.

Did it actually catch on fire, or just smoke the wheel bearing? It's hard to imagine all those components being ruined.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
11/7/15 9:20 a.m.

is it an AMC model 20? Jeep guys used to give those away for free. Should be plenty around.

Javelin
11/7/15 9:25 a.m.

It is a model 20. I have a Ford 8.8 from an Explorer, it's been sitting in my yard for a year and a half. The problem is that I don't have the money to fix the car. The model 20 is totally shot, and yes, there were flames. I'm too sick to go outside in the daylight and see what got hurt.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/7/15 12:42 p.m.

Sucks. My dad bought a 72 Javlin when I was born. We kept it up to the early 80s. Always loved them. Had a chance to look at it yet?

Javelin
11/7/15 12:49 p.m.

Well, that's not too bad! No fire damage that I can see besides the undercoating underneath. I still need to check the rubber lines underneath it. The complete rear axle is shot. It turns, but barely. At least I can pull it in and out of the garage. The brakes are gone as well and pedal on the floor, so the center hose probably leaked.

So it's easily fixable. I just need to find two piles of money to afford it. This is how old cars end up sitting in garages for 30 years, isn't it?

tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
11/7/15 12:55 p.m.

And this is why guys with a little cash in their pockets can swoop in and basically steal a car.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/7/15 12:56 p.m.

Glad to hear it looks better on a new day! That car's waited a long time before; it's no fun waiting, but if you want it up and running again, you can get there...

Javelin wrote: This is how old cars end up sitting in garages for 30 years, isn't it?

That train of thought always results in panicked calculations about my age and the list of cars I haven't built...

t25torx
t25torx Dork
11/7/15 1:03 p.m.

Damn dude if you were not all the way across the country from me I would buy the car from you in a heartbeat. Or help you get it back on the road at least. I mean, your name is Javelin.. it's destiny.

Edit: Do a T-Bird IRS swap

pres589
pres589 UberDork
11/7/15 1:29 p.m.

In reply to t25torx:

Why T-Bird? He'd then need to change the hubs around so they're back to the larger bolt pattern already on the car.

dropstep
dropstep HalfDork
11/7/15 1:46 p.m.

I always figure my cars already paid for and so is the garage it Sits in. If I need to I can just let it sit until I have the money. Storage insurance is only 9 bucks a month.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/7/15 2:25 p.m.
pres589 wrote: In reply to t25torx: Why T-Bird? He'd then need to change the hubs around so they're back to the larger bolt pattern already on the car.

cobra hubs, yo.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IvGexsbaBisiZE6y0KHoNE2oJ4MDoSZoeWCkmC1RdZ2vqtdV1xKPAOb8WKlMobN6