1 2 3
MINIzguy
MINIzguy HalfDork
3/14/19 12:14 p.m.

Mercedes C300 with a 6sp?

https://annapolis.craigslist.org/cto/d/annapolis-2010-mercedes-speed/6821627152.html

This is the cheapest one I found. Others are in the $6-7k range

Wizard_Of_Maz
Wizard_Of_Maz Reader
3/14/19 12:18 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

I second this too, actually. I drove them when looking for the G35, a lot of fun, throttle was a little wonky from what I remember, but I liked the steering and ride. Handled better than the G35 too, and felt a bit smaller. Good call

dps214
dps214 New Reader
3/14/19 12:44 p.m.
RedGT said:

In reply to dps214 :

I drove that 330 a bunch but 2 door, hideous (to me) greyish interior, topping out the price range and had a bunch of little quirks.  If i settle on an E46 it'd have to be the 'right' one.  And yeah it's sold, he got $6k or whatever out of it because low miles.

I like that mustang.  I'll just start shopping in Ohio and make you drive it back k?

Pay for the plane ticket home and don't get me killed in the craigslist transaction and we can probably work something out...

I don't know how nobody else has said it yet, but the other obvious choice is to sell everything and buy something extra sweet that you don't need to tow to far away autocross events.

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
3/14/19 1:24 p.m.

You could get a really nice RX8 for $5k

RedGT
RedGT Dork
3/14/19 1:36 p.m.

In reply to fanfoy :

I've been talked out of too many cheap RX-8's by a couple of RX enthusiast friends :-/  But thanks for the reminder, if one with a sub-50k mile engine showed up at the right price I'd be interested.  Haven't actually seen one yet.

RedGT
RedGT Dork
3/14/19 1:39 p.m.

In reply to dps214 :

You're responsible for your own craigslist deaths.

If I ended up with a domestic thing I'd start screwing around in CAM for sure, but I still can't beat STS for being able to compete at the top of any event on a shoestring budget and I REALLY like the Miata.  When everybody local bails or SCCA ruins the class, then I'll move on.

RedGT
RedGT Dork
3/14/19 1:40 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

ooooh.  Yes.  I forgot the is300 could come with a manual.  On the list for sure.

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/d/philadelphia-2002-lexus-is300/6837474090.html

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Dork
3/14/19 2:11 p.m.

Wait, so is HPDE a hard requirement on the use case? What would prevent the STS Miata from also filling the HPDE role, and then biasing a bit farther towards "nice place to be" for the daily?

RedGT
RedGT Dork
3/14/19 2:26 p.m.
szeis4cookie said:

Wait, so is HPDE a hard requirement on the use case? What would prevent the STS Miata from also filling the HPDE role, and then biasing a bit farther towards "nice place to be" for the daily?

It would need 60 pounds of roll bar which ain't gonna happen, is no better in a straight line than the mazda3 and I have a sentimental attachment to it.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
3/14/19 3:01 p.m.
MINIzguy said:

Mercedes C300 with a 6sp?

https://annapolis.craigslist.org/cto/d/annapolis-2010-mercedes-speed/6821627152.html

This is the cheapest one I found. Others are in the $6-7k range

That's pretty cheap and I can sell you the parts to fix it pretty cheap. Assuming the rack is OK - I think my steering rack is damaged. If that was local to me I'd be looking at it for a fix and flip.

scottdownsouth
scottdownsouth Reader
3/14/19 3:25 p.m.

I thought the is300 was a gas hog ? I'd love a wagon I think but my dd has to get some gas mileage.

RedGT
RedGT Dork
3/14/19 3:28 p.m.

It kinda is, rated 18/25 i think.  Lotta stuff in here is gonna get like 20 mpg local, I personally don't mind that.

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
3/14/19 3:59 p.m.

World's first rumble seat Miata?

chada75
chada75 Reader
3/14/19 4:04 p.m.

Just get a lo206 kart.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/14/19 4:19 p.m.

Pontiac GTO  or G8?

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/14/19 4:27 p.m.

$4k?

get a couple year old near mint Japanese liter bike.  It’ll stomp most anything on this forum with the requisite skills.  But you needs the skillz.

RedGT
RedGT Dork
3/14/19 6:17 p.m.
A 401 CJ said:

$4k?

get a couple year old near mint Japanese liter bike.  It’ll stomp most anything on this forum with the requisite skills.  But you needs the skillz.

I have had 4 crashes in my life. 3 were sitting stationary at a light or in traffic in a stopped line of cars and got rear ended. Can't do a bike.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/14/19 6:22 p.m.
RedGT said:
A 401 CJ said:

$4k?

I have had 4 crashes in my life. 3 were sitting stationary at a light or in traffic in a stopped line of cars and got rear ended. Can't do a bike.

Move to California...or anywhere else in the world except maybe China and North Korea...where you can lane split.  Problem solved.  :-)

CyberEric
CyberEric HalfDork
3/14/19 7:24 p.m.

I really liked the IS300 when it came out, haven’t driven one in years, or the MT, but it should be on your list. Handled great, was nice inside. Tough part is finding a manual or a nice one these days.

In my area it’s tough to find any of the cars mentioned for $4k without a bunch of miles. At that range I’d be looking for a nice Protege.

RedGT
RedGT Dork
3/14/19 7:47 p.m.

I have always bought 150k to 200k mile cars and it hasn't burned me yet, knock on wood ... That's where pretty much everything on the list will be at this price point.

If I were buying now, that $3,000 130k mile is300 would be getting looked at this weekend. But I do plan to burn through the existing brakes and tires on the Mazda 3 before moving on.

dxman92
dxman92 Reader
3/14/19 8:32 p.m.

SVT Focus? Can you find a TSX in that range?

RedGT
RedGT Dork
3/15/19 6:17 a.m.

In reply to dxman92 :

TSX would be nice.  Svt focus is a heck of a deal for what it is, but back to a tin can economy car compared to the other ones on the list. I've driven a few, svt and non svt, never liked them much.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
3/15/19 12:12 p.m.

Another vote for a G35. I looked at IS300s before I bought my 04 6MT G35 sedan and they were just too tight on the inside and too ragged-on in my price bracket, plus they felt slow compared to the thrust of the VQ. 

I wrote up a little buyer's guide for the G35 in case you want to take a read-through

RedGT
RedGT Dork
3/15/19 1:06 p.m.

In reply to G_Body_Man :

Thanks.  I actually posted in that thread when it was new :p  I've been eyeing the Infiniti's for a little while now.

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/15/19 1:32 p.m.

How 'bout LS swap your E46? Obviously less than 4 large...probably.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8WPGtzJuOz5yJaHsF9bDtB87pNO1EKgZ79gbGzFnSTV5Gb8yaz4DBcJwV6jCLVtC