1 2 3
Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
11/5/18 2:00 p.m.

My new winter beater made it to its new home.  I like.  

Lincoln Town Car by Petrolburner, on Flickr

My snowboard fits in the trunk laugh

Lincoln Town Car by Petrolburner, on Flickr

It will also be asked to pull this enclosed trailer when lightly loaded with just a dirtbike or two.  

Untitled by Petrolburner, on Flickr

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
11/5/18 2:08 p.m.

Man that’s a beauty 

year 

miles

price ? 

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
11/5/18 2:15 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Man that’s a beauty 

year 

miles

price ? 

Thanks.  2003, 159k, $4,000.  I've seen a few far more neglected for the same money.  This one has a rebuilt transmission, new coils and plugs, new intake manifild and a few new bushings and suspension pieces.  It's been in the same family since 2004.  So far so good.  A couple minor interior fixes could be done, then snow tires, straight pipes and ADTR sway bars.  laugh

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
11/5/18 3:03 p.m.

Thats a great price! Reminds me of my first LS400 for $7900. Just deleted the mufflers, and enjoyed it for about 3 years. 

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
11/5/18 3:07 p.m.

This is awesome. Not sure how towing and straight pipes will go together but i'm eager to learn. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/5/18 7:22 p.m.

Love the panther platform. It's going to serve you well.

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/5/18 7:39 p.m.

Having owned a number of Lincolns, with proper maintenance, they will be pretty faithful.   Nice looking, best of luck.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
11/5/18 8:56 p.m.
Vigo said:

This is awesome. Not sure how towing and straight pipes will go together but i'm eager to learn. 

I guess I should have said "muffler delete". I'm going cheap and I'll leave the cats and resonators.  

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
11/5/18 8:58 p.m.

I love it. It’s been one of my contenders except my wife says she doesn’t want me to look like a 90 year old man. She refuses to understand V8, RWD, body on frame when I try to explain it.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
11/5/18 9:44 p.m.

In reply to ebonyandivory :

Time for a new wife 

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
11/5/18 10:56 p.m.

I guess I should have said "muffler delete". I'm going cheap and I'll leave the cats and resonators.  

That'll probably be mild enough what with all the insulation of a Town Car. I just didn't think straight pipes and towing an enclosed trailer would be pleasant since youd be at high throttle all the time.  

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Reader
11/6/18 12:36 a.m.
Vigo said:

That'll probably be mild enough what with all the insulation of a Town Car. I just didn't think straight pipes and towing an enclosed trailer would be pleasant since youd be at high throttle all the time.  

Moving to a straight pipe may also result in losing some low end torque which wouldn’t be ideal for towing.

I loved how my dads 2000 deville was sort of the best of both worlds. At most normal speeds and throttle it was quiet and civil like a traditional Cadillac but at hard or full throttle it was as mean or high rpm as any performance v8.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
11/6/18 7:04 a.m.

That looks really clean!  Much nicer than the Panthers I've been looking at in the Gambler 500 price range cheeky

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
11/6/18 12:04 p.m.
2002maniac said:

That looks really clean!  Much nicer than the Panthers I've been looking at in the Gambler 500 price range cheeky

Thanks, it's really in pretty nice shape, especially considering the age.  A good detail job with clay bar and wax would be great.  There's very few dents, scratches or paint chips.  

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/6/18 12:23 p.m.

A civilized Crown Vic.  Really like those!!!  I drove one a while back that had 225K miles on it and it was a very nice ride.  

Toebra
Toebra Dork
11/6/18 12:46 p.m.

Mom had one of those, same color even, I think.  Neat clock that never worked while she owned it.  Hers developed fuel leakitis, that could not be resolved economically.  Muffler delete might be a bit much, maybe go with the flowmaster style muffler.

You can fit a snowboarder in the trunk you say.  I guess that is why the mob guys like the town car, plenty of room for former associates.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
12/3/18 3:20 p.m.

Michelin X-Ice snow tires fit in the trunk, and they work really well.  I had no weight in the trunk on this trip.  Today I took another trip to Mt Bachelor and I had maybe 80 pounds of steel plate in the trunk and a 60 pound bag of Quickcrete.  It felt pretty planted.  The traction control actually works pretty well too.  It lets the wheels slip a little and it still accelerates.  It doesn't cut power to the point you can't even move like some rudimentary traction control systems I've experienced.  

I also really like sitting in the back seat to get dressed and change boots.  I put the front passenger seat all the way forward and I have tons of space.  

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
12/3/18 4:48 p.m.

Speaking from experience, what you want is electric cutouts and a WOTBox so you can sneak up on people and scare the crap out of them devil

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
12/3/18 5:09 p.m.

If you cut the mufflers off that car I will find you and slash your tires.

Flat_Black13z
Flat_Black13z New Reader
12/3/18 5:53 p.m.

I picked up a pretty thrashed 08 cvpi, Former patrol car for $500. Cut the mufflers off and sent it on the NY gambler 500. It's not too loud (delete the rear cats if you want loud) but has the right amount of snap to it to let people know it's not a grandma ride. Mines pretty beat so my old lady won't ride in/drive it so I know I'm doing something right 

einy
einy HalfDork
12/3/18 6:23 p.m.
ebonyandivory said:

I love it. It’s been one of my contenders except my wife says she doesn’t want me to look like a 90 year old man. She refuses to understand V8, RWD, body on frame when I try to explain it.

Ha!  Every time I start eyeing one of these I get an eyeroll and the same type of commentary from my wife also!

penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
12/3/18 7:00 p.m.

My GF already teases me about being 30 going on 85. If I brought one of these home I dunno if she would laugh or leave. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/3/18 7:28 p.m.

Get your orange pressure suit. You're a Sled Driver now.

Stanger2000
Stanger2000 Reader
12/4/18 8:52 a.m.

Trunk space is truly impressive on these, and those are 17" I believe?  And if you plan on towing frequently over the 'maximum tow rating' on these something to do with the way the watts link is designed and added stress to the upper control arm bolt.  There is an aftermarket bolt along with upgraded control arms out there if needed. 

I've been eyeing panthers as my next ride.  Me to the wife "But it's got plenty of room to fit the 2 car seats, strollers in trunk, etc, and it's good in the snow w/ the right tires".  Oh and it's better on gas than our Traverse.  

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
12/4/18 10:38 a.m.

Yes 17" wheels.  The snows are 215s and just barely fit, the summer tires are 225s and they did not fit 4 upright.  I tossed one in my GF's CR-V and put the other 3 at a slant and shut the trunk.  

I'm not real inclined to do the ADTR sway bars or muffler delete after driving it a bit.  It corners just fine as is and the serene solitude while driving is really a welcome change.  I did order a new double DIN head unit, trailer hitch, brake controller and wire harness however.  

After 2 trips up to the mountain and other city driving I'm averaging just shy of 24 MPG.  I wouldn't mind better mileage but that's pretty good and I'm happy with it.  

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DQSIAeZ6cI57k5ulN9HEaYZUmYOPnUm1XsKQkGyzifhhJLSQwDJil1G1AZgTP6C0