1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/9/09 8:06 p.m.

It's not just one though, we usually have 6-7 ones at every event. Some of the drivers have been autocrossing since before I was born! They just aren't that fast (or else every single one of the 15+ different cars are driven by people too afraid to spin/hurt/wreck them, but I highly doubt that).

I guess I just don't "get" German cars since I'm not a fan of Porsche, BMW, MB, VW, or Audi.

I will admit to liking flared 914-6's and engine-swapped 944's...

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/9/09 8:12 p.m.

I don't get the early 911, either. But it's that German car bug. One drive isn't enough to do it. Kinda like cigarettes, I suppose. Once the hooks are in, you're in for a swift kick to the wallet.

I like to drive my buddy's 356 Speedster around. It is slower than a Miata in every way. The shifter is balky. The manual brakes are scary. You have to learn the car just to maneuver through traffic effectively. It is a driving experience though. Talk about a P-wagon...that car must react with estrogen.

92dxman
92dxman Reader
6/9/09 8:20 p.m.

I think the 73-74 Carrera RS is one of my favorite looking P-Cars. The 924s/944s and 928 are more my cup of tea.

JohnCh
JohnCh New Reader
6/9/09 9:32 p.m.

911s are an acquired taste, just like a good 32 year old single malt scotch or fine sipping tequila. If the flavor doesn’t push your buttons, then you just won’t understand why people spend so much money on a bottle, when the cheaper alternatives will get the job done just as quickly. But if it does speak to you…oh…my…God….

-John

skruffy
skruffy Dork
6/9/09 9:53 p.m.

You need to think of a 911 more like a jeep wrangler. They're raw and somewhat dangerous and you either get it or you don't. They're set up to be driven fast. The controls are unassisted. Switchgear is labeled in a forgotten german language no one can decipher. Many of the levers and switches that are scattered about the interior have mysterious and unknown functions, lost to the ages.

You drive a 911 in the deepest sense. The back end wants to lead you into every corner and part of driving one fast is "backing it in" and not letting all the weight back there get ahead of you.

The air conditioning sucks, they sound like hair dryers, they all leak oil, and they're expensive. However, they're ridiculously simple cars and properly cared for live long and very fun lives.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/9/09 10:10 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: I pick up my 911 tonight. I'll post some pictures from the return trip.

Go David Go!

walterj
walterj Dork
6/9/09 10:19 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote:
David S. Wallens wrote: I pick up my 911 tonight. I'll post some pictures from the return trip.
Go David Go!

+911

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
6/9/09 10:57 p.m.

Someday I'll have a 911. I don't care what the cons are, a classic 911 without a whale tail strikes me as a true gentleman's sportscar. For now I'll drive my MGB GT, the true gentleman's sportscar for the gentleman with dirty hands and facial hair.

walterj
walterj Dork
6/9/09 11:30 p.m.
mattmacklind wrote: Someday I'll have a 911. I don't care what the cons are, a classic 911 without a whale tail strikes me as a true gentleman's sportscar. For now I'll drive my MGB GT, the true gentleman's sportscar for the gentleman with dirty hands and facial hair.

Don't forget the tweed jacket with elbow patches.

vazbmw
vazbmw New Reader
6/9/09 11:31 p.m.
Kramer wrote: ...Did you hear that in (insert city here), the cops are taking the "Dial 911" decals off their cars? It seems the (insert racial/ethnic slur here) were stealing them, thinking they were Porsches.

Racial ethnic slurs? Are you still back in backwoods Mississippi during 1957?

I thought we matured passed that point?

walterj
walterj Dork
6/9/09 11:42 p.m.
Woody wrote:
Per Schroeder wrote: Although, if I ever own one again, I'm not going to worry about the engine going poof—as then it'll give me a chance to learn how to rebuild it. Per
I don't think it would be all that hard to rebuild one. It would just be hard to write the check for all the parts.

Just tell the machine shop its 6 identical motorcycles and it will save you a ton of cash.

Seriously, they are tricky but not very complicated at all. If you understand how to work a 4 valve/cyl dual cam head then the 911 is an anvil. Parts are reasonable for common wear items and almost everything can be reused. That seems obvious but a lot of shops make bank on you not knowing this. I won't tell you its an LS1, but you can make it new again for under $4k if you are willing to roll up your sleeves. It helps if you have reworked a 4 cycle air cooled motorcycle. Its like 6 of them strapped together in an unholy union with a dry sump.

walterj
walterj Dork
6/9/09 11:47 p.m.
vazbmw wrote:
Kramer wrote: ...Did you hear that in (insert city here), the cops are taking the "Dial 911" decals off their cars? It seems the (insert racial/ethnic slur here) were stealing them, thinking they were Porsches.
Racial ethnic slurs? Are you still back in backwoods Mississippi during 1957? I thought we matured passed that point?

Wait... what happened to the jews in 1957? Did I misconstrue my racial/ethnic with my motto/creed jokes? Damn. I'm out of touch.

Goldmember
Goldmember Reader
6/10/09 12:04 a.m.

The 911 Turbo was deffinately one of my "poster" cars growing up, along with the Countach (especially the LP5000S )and several HRM centerfolds.

I've only ridden in a couple, never driven one. I was particularly impressed with a friends '83-'84 Targa, went like stink.

If I were in the market for that sort of car I'd deffinately give one a try. I may not like it as much as I think I would, but you don't know if you don't try.

forzav12
forzav12 New Reader
6/10/09 12:18 a.m.

I'm glad all the emo Honda/Mazda/Nissan/Sube/whatever kids don't get the older 911. Leave them to those of us that can drive and prefer involvement with our enthusiast vehicles. We don't give a rodent's posterior about Ipod hook-ups, cup holders, traction assist, antilock brakes, GPS,carbon footprints,we aren't afraid of oversteer, don't need power assisted everything for our spindly little video game trained arms to operate,understand what a proper dead pedal is, know how to heel and toe and double clutch and pay attention to the art of driving when heading out to our favorite road.

Oh yeah, to those that think the early 911s can't be competitive with modern iron-keep reading your BS nonsense in whatever are left of the sport compact mags or believe anecdotal evidence from clowns that have never driven a properly set-up/upgraded early 911-just remember that early 911s are light, possess vault-like build quality, unmatched motorsports heritage and enjoy phenomenal parts interchangeability. Unreliable? Only to an idiot. My early S car runs tire and other simple upgrades and has little trouble running down sportbikes, Subes and many other so-called superior examples of modern iron out on the Crest.

vazbmw
vazbmw New Reader
6/10/09 12:43 a.m.
walterj wrote: Wait... what happened to the jews in 1957? Did I misconstrue my racial/ethnic with my motto/creed jokes? Damn. I'm out of touch.

50's were a bad time period in Mississippi for racial and ethnic minorities. Just a generic bad time period.

I am just poking fun. Sorry Mississippi

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
6/10/09 5:46 a.m.

Seems like a lot of people who don't 'understand' the early 911 have never driven one, or not driven one very much. The first time I drove one, I thought it was pretty horrid. They are so completely out of whack from a 'normal' car you can easily write them off as terrible cars.

With more time in a well sorted one, I finally figured them out. They are not easy to drive. That is what makes them special. Kind of like anyone can go to a course and play golf, but only the Masters can achieve greatness. The 911 is like that. When you can master it, the car will do things you never thought possible. It's like getting a PhD in driving. That path isn't for everyone. For those that choose it, greatness awaits.

Yeah, I want one pretty badly.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/10/09 6:56 a.m.
ddavidv wrote: Seems like a lot of people who don't 'understand' the early 911 have never driven one, or not driven one very much. The first time I drove one, I thought it was pretty horrid. They are so completely out of whack from a 'normal' car you can easily write them off as terrible cars. With more time in a well sorted one, I finally figured them out. They are not easy to drive. That is what makes them special. Kind of like anyone can go to a course and play golf, but only the Masters can achieve greatness. The 911 is like that. When you can master it, the car will do things you never thought possible. It's like getting a PhD in driving. That path isn't for everyone. For those that choose it, greatness awaits. Yeah, I want one pretty badly.

While I totally understand feeling this way...I guess I just don't have the patience for it all. Honestly, one of my favorite driving experiences was hopping in a then-new Evo about 5-years ago, and being able to take it to 9/10th+ on my first lap. That car just felt telepathic to me.

Personally, I'd much prefer that vs. working to learn a difficult car. Hell, I'm still having a difficult enough time with my Miata that I'm halfway wishing for another Rabbit.

Still, I may just stop and look at that Targa if it's still there the next time I go by...

walterj
walterj Dork
6/10/09 7:11 a.m.
vazbmw wrote:
walterj wrote: Wait... what happened to the jews in 1957? Did I misconstrue my racial/ethnic with my motto/creed jokes? Damn. I'm out of touch.
50's were a bad time period in Mississippi for racial and ethnic minorities. Just a generic bad time period. I am just poking fun. Sorry Mississippi

I got... I just thought it was funny that you used "insert here" for a blank that was obvious to everyone but you didn't want to say it. "insert here" all the other other folks having a bad time in Mississippi in 1957 :)

Duke
Duke Dork
6/10/09 7:12 a.m.
ddavidv wrote: With more time in a well sorted one, I finally figured them out. They are not easy to drive. That is what makes them special.

I don't have anything against 911s (new or old) but I'm kind of with Pete here.

I have a friend who is big into TVRs - just loves them. I've driven a few of the older TVRs here in the States and I've watched people drive the newer ones in England, as well as read tons of reviews of the unobtainable ones.

He calls them "driver's cars". I'm not sure why it would be a "driver's car" since the damn things fight you every step of the way, and punish the slightest mistake. I guess if you like grudge sex they would be a fantasy.

vazbmw
vazbmw New Reader
6/10/09 7:23 a.m.

In reply to Duke:

I would love to have an old 930, I am afraid of the hidden cost of ownership. I don't know what to believe. I hear if you get a bad one you will go bankrupt or have to steal your mother's vcr to pay for repairs (like a crack addict)

What is the truth on cost to maintain and to enjoy?

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/10/09 8:00 a.m.
forzav12 wrote: I'm glad all the emo Honda/Mazda/Nissan/Sube/whatever kids don't get the older 911. Leave them to those of us that can drive and prefer involvement with our enthusiast vehicles. We don't give a rodent's posterior about Ipod hook-ups, cup holders, traction assist, antilock brakes, GPS,carbon footprints,we aren't afraid of oversteer, don't need power assisted everything for our spindly little video game trained arms to operate,understand what a proper dead pedal is, know how to heel and toe and double clutch and pay attention to the art of driving when heading out to our favorite road.

Forza, I normally agree with you on everything, but there's no reason to classify everybody that doesn't get 911's as emo kids who need to be pampered. I don't get Porsche's period and my racing weapon of choice is a 26-year old Mazda with manual steering, no ABS, no traction control, a manual gearbox, and a carburetor on a fussy rotary! I burn as much oil as gas, oversteer like a drifter, and have forearms like Popeye now because of that car. Classic sports cars are "involving" no matter the make.

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
6/10/09 8:25 a.m.
Duke wrote: He calls them "driver's cars". I'm not sure why it would be a "driver's car" since the damn things fight you every step of the way, and punish the slightest mistake. I guess if you like grudge sex they would be a fantasy.

911s don't fight you. But, unlike a modern car, they don't do everything FOR you, either. It requires skill. A car that makes you feel real fast right out of the box really doesn't encourage or develop skill and it can make a driver feel like they are good when they aren't. if you're good in a 911 you're good, period. In fact, I'd posit that a car like an EVO that is easy to drive 9/10ths right out of the box is as dangerous as 911s are rumored to be, as they can let a novice get in way over their head too easily.

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
6/10/09 8:28 a.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: I've never driven one, so I won't talk about the driving experience. But by all that's holy, Porsches sound like boiled ass. I've *never* heard one and thought it sounded anywhere close to nice or pleasant. I wouldn't own one due to the sound alone.

Never heard an early air cooled 6 cyl with sport exhaust and open triple throat carbs at full song, then, have you? Sounds like Le Mans. I LOVED to zing my '69 S up to 8k rpm for that reason alone.

Duke
Duke Dork
6/10/09 8:41 a.m.
Chris_V wrote: 911s don't fight you. But, unlike a modern car, they don't do everything FOR you, either. It requires skill. A car that makes you feel real fast right out of the box really doesn't encourage or develop skill and it can make a driver feel like they are good when they aren't. if you're good in a 911 you're good, period. In fact, I'd posit that a car like an EVO that is easy to drive 9/10ths right out of the box is as dangerous as 911s are rumored to be, as they can let a novice get in way over their head too easily.

Well, I was directly referring to TVRs, not 911s. TVRs scratch and bite. A 911 may just need to be coaxed, and there is quite a difference in the outcome.

I agree with you (and others) on the issue of too many assists being a bad thing. I always prefer a car that I'm driving, not just making control inputs and letting the software sort it out. But for a completely analog car I prefer one that cooperates and rewards rather than one that balks and punishes.

I admit that I've never driven a 911 in anger, just putted around, which is why I said that I have nothing against 911s.

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
6/10/09 8:50 a.m.
Jensenman wrote: The 911 and 914 both shared one thing I have never liked: the bottom hinged pedals. It just feels wrong to me and doesn't inspire confidence.

I started out in karts, which have bottom hinged pedals. So they felt very right to me, vs stuff that was hanging from an overhead bracket (the pedals on the floor pivot the same way my foot does, at the heel)

1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2O32S3QVupXXgMLgEX4X82iA7Ki4aJz0ioQMw49PHYW8NnSFVBNs4I2GrRLk4Q2j